[ANN] One-Click Installer 182-14 Final -- Happy New Year!

Curt Hibbs

Finally, after what seemed to be an endless series
of release candidates, I am happy to announce the
final release of version 182-14. Happy New Year!

This release of the One-Click Ruby Installer for
Windows is built from Ruby 1.8.2 final. It includes
OpenSSL, and upgrades RubyGems and FreeRIDE to their
latest versions.

You can download this release from:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167

Curt

Changes Since 1.8.1-13:
- This is a build of Ruby 1.8.2 final.
- Added start menu shortcuts for the RubyGems
RDoc Server, and for viewing the RDoc of
all installed gems.
- Added OpenSSL 0.9.7e
- Added RubyGems 0.8.3
- Added FreeRIDE 0.9.2
- Updated FXRuby to 1.2.2
- Upgraded Ruby-odbc to version 0.994
- TCL/TK support no longer sets any environment
variables.
- Corrected missing OpenGL support.
- Added Start Menu shortcuts to documentation
on ruby-doc.org.
- Eliminated the installer dialog message that
warned you might need to reboot your system.
This allows for unattended installs using the
command-line arguments:
/S /D=<install dir>
- Changed the layout of the Windows registry
entries.
- Fixed a typo in a windows registry entry
(bug 643).
- Upgraded Expat to version 1.95.7
- Upgraded DBI to 0.23

Matt Mower

Finally, after what seemed to be an endless series
of release candidates, I am happy to announce the
final release of version 182-14. Happy New Year!

Great way to start the new year. Many thanks Curt!

Stephan Kämper

Curt said:
Finally, after what seemed to be an endless series
of release candidates, I am happy to announce the
final release of version 182-14. Happy New Year!

Great work! A happy new year to you too.
Changes Since 1.8.1-13: ....
- Updated FXRuby to 1.2.2

One question though:

Can I FXRuby 1.0.29 with 1CI (One-Click-Installer)?

If yes, how would I do it?
The Installer for 1.0.29 is made for Ruby 1.8.1. Would I have to expect
problems because of that?

Happy new year to everyone and happy rubying, too

Stephan

James Britt

Curt said:
Finally, after what seemed to be an endless series
of release candidates, I am happy to announce the
final release of version 182-14. Happy New Year!

This release of the One-Click Ruby Installer for
Windows is built from Ruby 1.8.2 final. It includes
OpenSSL, and upgrades RubyGems and FreeRIDE to their
latest versions.

You can download this release from:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167

Thanks, this is sweet.
Curt

Changes Since 1.8.1-13: ...
- Added OpenSSL 0.9.7e

with the result that net-ssh works like a charm! Time to rethink my
admin scripts.

Thanks again, and happy new year!

James

Curt Hibbs

Stephan said:
Can I FXRuby 1.0.29 with 1CI (One-Click-Installer)?

If yes, how would I do it?
The Installer for 1.0.29 is made for Ruby 1.8.1. Would I have to expect
problems because of that?

Sure you can.

The version of FXRuby included in the one-click installer is the 1.2.2
rubygem. Since FXRuby 1.0.29 is a normal windows installer, you'll need to
first uninstall the 1.2.2 rubygem:

gem uninstall FXRuby

and then install FXRuby 1.0.29.

Curt

Lyle Johnson

The version of FXRuby included in the one-click installer is the 1.2.2
rubygem. Since FXRuby 1.0.29 is a normal windows installer, you'll need to
first uninstall the 1.2.2 rubygem:

gem uninstall FXRuby

and then install FXRuby 1.0.29.

Actually, FXRuby versions 1.0.29 and 1.2.2 should be able to co-exist
on the same installation; that is, he doesn't have to unstall the
1.2.2 gem unless he just wants to reclaim the space disk used by that
gem.

What I have not verified is whether the FXRuby 1.0.29 installer, which
was built against Ruby 1.8.1, will work properly with this Ruby 1.8.2
installer. My gut feeling is that it won't, but I haven't actually
checked this out.

Curt Hibbs

Lyle said:
Actually, FXRuby versions 1.0.29 and 1.2.2 should be able to co-exist
on the same installation; that is, he doesn't have to unstall the
1.2.2 gem unless he just wants to reclaim the space disk used by that
gem.

What I have not verified is whether the FXRuby 1.0.29 installer, which
was built against Ruby 1.8.1, will work properly with this Ruby 1.8.2
installer. My gut feeling is that it won't, but I haven't actually
checked this out.

Since late last summer, all release candidates of the one-click installer
for 1.8.2 have included FXRuby 1.0.29, and FreeRIDE (my test vehicle for
making sure tat FXRuby is working) worked just fine. I only recently
switched to FXRuby 1.2.2 (I think in rc9 or rc10).

Curt

Stephan Kämper

Lyle said:
Actually, FXRuby versions 1.0.29 and 1.2.2 should be able to co-exist
on the same installation; that is, he doesn't have to unstall the
1.2.2 gem unless he just wants to reclaim the space disk used by that
gem.

I don't mind the extra disk space used by the 1.2.2 gem. In fact,
migrating from 1.0.29 to 1.2.2 is easier with both of them working. :)

What I have not verified is whether the FXRuby 1.0.29 installer, which
was built against Ruby 1.8.1, will work properly with this Ruby 1.8.2
installer. My gut feeling is that it won't, but I haven't actually

That's the answer to my original question: "The Installer for 1.0.29 is
made for Ruby 1.8.1. Would I have to expect problems because of that?"

Up to now, I didn't run into any problems with the combination Ruby
1.8.2 / FXRuby_1.0.29_for_Ruby_1.8.1. (Apparently the one-click
installer didn't either.)

Thanks for your help and comments!

Stephan

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

I used to be able to run ruby scripts without the .rb extension. I
assume this was because .rb was added to PATHEXT or similar.

Was this behaviour changed for this version of the installer?

Thanks,
Nick

Curt Hibbs

Nicholas said:
I used to be able to run ruby scripts without the .rb extension. I
assume this was because .rb was added to PATHEXT or similar.

Was this behaviour changed for this version of the installer?

No, this behavior was not changed. I just ran a test on a Win XP and a Win
2000 Pro system, and in both cases PATHEXT was correctly set to include .RB
and .RBW -- has anyone else had this problem?

Curt

Stephan Kämper

Curt said:
No, this behavior was not changed. I just ran a test on a Win XP and a Win
2000 Pro system, and in both cases PATHEXT was correctly set to include .RB
and .RBW -- has anyone else had this problem?

I did. (WinXP SP2)

Happy rubying

Stephan

Curt Hibbs

Stephan said:
I did. (WinXP SP2)

Do you (or anyone else having this problem) happen to have access to more
that one windows machine where it works properly on one machine, but fails
on another? I'd really like to have some way of isolating what might be
causing this problem.

Thanks,
Curt

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

No, this behavior was not changed. I just ran a test on a Win XP and a Win
2000 Pro system, and in both cases PATHEXT was correctly set to include .RB
and .RBW -- has anyone else had this problem?

Curt
I may have had a full environment at the time. That's about all I can
think of. I'll try a reinstall tomorrow.

Thanks,
Nick

Robert McGovern

No, this behavior was not changed. I just ran a test on a Win XP and a Win
2000 Pro system, and in both cases PATHEXT was correctly set to include .RB
and .RBW -- has anyone else had this problem?

Not here its worked fine on both of my XP SP2 systems.

Rob