[ANN] One-Click Ruby Installer 1.8.2-14 RC8 for Windows

Curt Hibbs

This release candidate of the One-Click Installer for Windows
adds the FreeRIDE Ruby IDE (which has full source code
navigation and a graphical debugger), and updates ruby-odbc
to version 0.994.

As soon as Matz releases Ruby 1.8.2 final, then we will release
the final 1.8.2 version of the One-Click Installer

Curt

You can download this release candidate from:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167

===== Original Text from RC7 Release =====

Ok, ok... I know I said no more releases until
1.8.2 final, but Matz just released 1.8.2
preview2 so I thought I would get an installer
out that includes this before I go on my vacation
tomorrow. There were no other changes since rc6 Enjoy!

===== Original Text from RC6 Release =====

This release candidate of the Ruby Installer for Windows
was built from the recently released Ruby 1.8.2 preview1.
Unless serious problems are reported, this will probably
be the last release candidate until matz releases 1.8.2
final.

There were four changes since RC5:
- tab-completion in irb now works
(thanks to _why for his help).
- The OpenGL support that was
inadvertently left out of RC5
is back in.
- Start menu shortcuts have been
added to online documentation on
ruby-doc.org.
- The "reboot" dialog message at the
end of the installation has been
removed to enable unattended
installations using the command
line arguments:
/S /D=<install dir>

You can download this release candidate from:

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167

You can check for reported problems (or report
new problems) at:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=167

What is the Ruby Installer for Windows?
---------------------------------------

The Ruby Installer for Windows is a "one-click",
self-contained Windows installer that contains
the Ruby language itself, dozens of popular
extensions and packages, a syntax-highlighting
editor and execution environment, and a Windows
help file that contains the full text of the
book, "Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's
Guide".

Change Log for 1.8.2-14_RC6
---------------------------
- This is a build of Ruby 1.8.2 preview1.
- Corrected missing OpenGL support.
- Added Start Menu shortcuts to documentation
on ruby-doc.org.
- Eliminated the installer dialog message that
warned you might need to reboot your system.
This allows for unattended installs using the
command-line arguments:
/S /D=<install dir>
- Changed the layout of the Windows registry
entries.
- Fixed a typo in a windows registry entry
(bug 643).
- Upgraded Expat to version 1.95.7
- Upgraded Ruby-odbc to version 0.993
- Upgraded DBI to 0.23
- Upgraded FXRuby to version 1.0.29

Henrik Horneber

Hi!

First of all, thanks for the effort, it's really appreciated! :)

Still, I'd like to see some features and have some issues:

Being the lazy guy that I am, I like to create new files by using the
'new' command in explorers context menu. So, in order to create a new
ruby programm, I right-click in the folder I'd like to have the new file
in, choose new, choose new ruby programm, and explorer generates an
empty file 'new ruby program.rb' (or something alike). Any chance to
have an option for this in the installer?
(you'd need to create a new key 'ShellNew' under 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rb'
and add an emtpy REG_SZ (String Value) named NullFile. Of course I could
always do it by hand, but as I said, I'm lazy :) )

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/shellnewadd.htm has a pretty good
explanation how to do it by hand

And I'm having troubles selecting the installation directory. The
'browse'-option allows me to create new folders, but does not allow to
select this newly created folder (the 'Ok'-button stays disabled ). I
have to type the folder into the field to have the installer accept it.
(Yikes, typing!)

I'm using Win 2k :)

Sorry if this did come up before, I wasn't able to find anything on the
list or in the installer-wiki.

Henrik

Henrik Horneber

Grmph, just saw the install directory issue in the bug database. Sorry
for the noise. :-/

Curt Hibbs

Henrik said:
Hi!

First of all, thanks for the effort, it's really appreciated! :)
Thanks!

[...]

These are god ideas. The best way to get this on the to-do list is submit a
feature request:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=718&group_id=167&func=browse

I can do this later, if you don't get to it.

Curt

Curt Hibbs

Henrik said:
Grmph, just saw the install directory issue in the bug database. Sorry
for the noise. :-/

I tried to fix that one today, but it looks like its a bug in the NSIS
installer (i.e., its not something I caused). I'm still looking for a
solution short of debugging their code.

Curt

Phil Tomson

This release candidate of the One-Click Installer for Windows
adds the FreeRIDE Ruby IDE (which has full source code
navigation and a graphical debugger), and updates ruby-odbc
to version 0.994.

As soon as Matz releases Ruby 1.8.2 final, then we will release
the final 1.8.2 version of the One-Click Installer

Curt

You can download this release candidate from:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167

I just installed the RC8 release. Looks good, except that the tk examples
in the samples dir don't seem to work. require 'tk' seems to fail (but I
can see the tcltklib.so). Fox examples worked, though.

Phil

James Britt

Curt said:
This release candidate of the One-Click Installer for Windows
adds the FreeRIDE Ruby IDE (which has full source code
navigation and a graphical debugger), and updates ruby-odbc
to version 0.994.

As soon as Matz releases Ruby 1.8.2 final, then we will release
the final 1.8.2 version of the One-Click Installer

Curt

You can download this release candidate from:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167

When I downloaded the .exe using Firebird 0.6, the browser seems to
think the file type is.gz, though the file name ends in .exe. (Then
Firebird takes it upon itself to append this extension to the file name.
Dopey.)

This could be a Mozilla bug, but might the download page be sending a
response header stating that the file's MIME type is gzip?

(I believe that when you add a file to the download section on
RubyForge, you need to indicate the file type, so perhaps it is set to
gzip.)

Thanks,

James

James Britt

Curt said:
This release candidate of the One-Click Installer for Windows
adds the FreeRIDE Ruby IDE (which has full source code
navigation and a graphical debugger), and updates ruby-odbc
to version 0.994.

I just installed RC8, selected the installation of FreeRIDE, but
declined the installation of Scite. When I try to run FreeRIDE, I get
an error message that iconv.dll cannot be found.

After I acknowledge the message, FreeRIDE loads anyway. I don't know,
though, that it does all it is suppose to.

Thanks,

James

Michael Vondung

James said:
When I downloaded the .exe using Firebird 0.6, the browser seems to
think the file type is.gz, though the file name ends in .exe. (Then
Firebird takes it upon itself to append this extension to the file name.
Dopey.)

It worked fine with Firebird 0.9.3. Time to update? :)

M.

James Britt

Michael said:
It worked fine with Firebird 0.9.3. Time to update? :)

Might be. I did a download of the one-click, using wget, and it gives
these headers:

HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
2 Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:58:34 GMT
3 Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) PHP/4.2.3
4 X-Powered-By: PHP/4.2.3
5 Content-disposition: filename=ruby182-14_RC8.exe
6 Content-length: 11586665
7 Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
8 Connection: Keep-Alive
9 Content-Type: application/binary

I think I've prolonged upgrading firefox because it doesn't know how to
carry over my extensions and settings. Might look into that again.

Anyway, getting offtopic.

James

Zach Dennis

Is there a way to determine what method you are in?

class myApp
def mydef
error = true;
raise "#{self.class} : #{self.calling_method} error
end
end

Something like the #{self.calling_method} above perhaps?

Thanks,

Zach

Curt Hibbs

James said:
I just installed RC8, selected the installation of FreeRIDE, but
declined the installation of Scite. When I try to run FreeRIDE, I get
an error message that iconv.dll cannot be found.

After I acknowledge the message, FreeRIDE loads anyway. I don't know,
though, that it does all it is suppose to.

That's pretty strange. I'll try to duplicate it and see if I can figure out
what's going on.

Curt

Curt Hibbs

Phil said:
I just installed the RC8 release. Looks good, except that the tk
examples
in the samples dir don't seem to work. require 'tk' seems to fail (but I
can see the tcltklib.so). Fox examples worked, though.

Thanks. I've been making changes to the TCL/TK setup based on the advice of
others, but for me I'm shooting in the dark because I personally know
nothing about it (maybe its time to learn :).

Did this work for you with RC7? The only thing I changed was to compile the
TCL/TK support with the --enable-tcltk_stubs option. If RC7 worked fine then
I'll probably just remove this option because I've already spent more time
on this than I could really afford.

Thanks again, and let me know if RC7 worked for you.

Curt

Sam Stephenson

Is there a way to determine what method you are in?

class myApp
def mydef
error = true;
raise "#{self.class} : #{self.calling_method} error
end
end

Something like the #{self.calling_method} above perhaps?

Try using Kernel.caller:

| caller(0)[0].scan /`(.*?)'/
| method = $1
Thanks,

Zach

Sam

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:04:18 +0900,
Curt Hibbs wrote in [ruby-talk:109613]:
Thanks. I've been making changes to the TCL/TK setup based on the advice of
others, but for me I'm shooting in the dark because I personally know
nothing about it (maybe its time to learn :).

Did this work for you with RC7? The only thing I changed was to compile the
TCL/TK support with the --enable-tcltk_stubs option. If RC7 worked fine then
I'll probably just remove this option because I've already spent more time
on this than I could really afford.

Sorry, it's my fault.

At Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:07:36 -0500,
Curt said:
- leave the tcl*.so and tk*.so files in c:\ruby\lib

This is upside-down. Leave tcltklib.so and tkutils.so under
lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin, but those underneath lib aren't
needed.

Curt Hibbs

Curt said:
- leave the tcl*.so and tk*.so files in c:\ruby\lib

This is upside-down. Leave tcltklib.so and tkutils.so under
lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin, but those underneath lib aren't
needed.

That makes more send to me, too. Since the current release seemed to fail
with a simple require 'tk', I can easily verify that this changes fixes
that.

Thanks,
Curt

Phil Tomson

Thanks. I've been making changes to the TCL/TK setup based on the advice of
others, but for me I'm shooting in the dark because I personally know
nothing about it (maybe its time to learn :).

Did this work for you with RC7? The only thing I changed was to compile the
TCL/TK support with the --enable-tcltk_stubs option. If RC7 worked fine then
I'll probably just remove this option because I've already spent more time
on this than I could really afford.

Thanks again, and let me know if RC7 worked for you.

I didn't try RC7.

Phil

Trevor Andrade

Hello,

There was a feature that I used to want in Perl, that was somewhat difficult
to do. I wanted to be able to drop text files onto a ruby script in windows
and have the ruby script automatically executed either with the text files
as standard input or as command line arugments. This feature is difficult
to add since you need to know some visual c++ and windows programming. I am
just wondering if there are any windows programmers on this list who might
have some ideas about this.

Trevor

[...]

Lennon Day-Reynolds

Trevor,

I've done exactly this using Exerb -- once you've built an EXE of your
script, you can just drag-and-drop files onto it, and your script
receives the full file path as its first argument.