[ANN] One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is available!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Curt Hibbs, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    The release file has been uploaded to RubyForge but may not be
    available for an hour or so while the download mirrors synchronize.

    We are almost there to a final relase. There are only a couple minor
    issues, and those are with the installer itself, not the Ruby runtime
    that you get installed.

    The main problem is that when you uninstall, the Start Menu entries
    are not removed. Plus, the RUBYOPT environment variable is still being
    set to "rubygems" instead of having "rubygems" added to any existing
    options. Both of these are easy to work around.

    The main changes/fixes in this release are:

    * SciTE now defaults to two-space tabs and indents for ruby
    files.
    * Standalone "ri" and "rdoc" files now exist in the ruby\bin
    directory it you use the RDT plugin for Eclipse (RDT was
    unable to use the ri.bat and rdoc.bat files).
    * The file associations and icons for .rb and .rbw files now
    work properly.
    * The C-based XML Parser is now included.

    Curt
    Curt Hibbs, Mar 28, 2006

  2. ------=_Part_11174_14854238.1143586411337

    How about SSL support in open-uri and Net::HTTP?

    Justin Bailey, Mar 28, 2006

  3. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    OpenSSL support is included. See the samples in:

    ruby\src\ruby-1.8.4\sample\openssl

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Mar 29, 2006
  4. Curt Hibbs

    Dave Burt Guest

    Curt Hibbs announced:
    > One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is available!

    Hi Curt,

    We corresponded a while back about the inclusion of all or part of
    win32utils in the Installer. Is that going to happen for 1.8.4-16?

    Cheers,
    Dave
    Dave Burt, Mar 29, 2006
  5. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    On 3/29/06, Dave Burt <> wrote:
    > Curt Hibbs announced:
    > > One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is available!

    > Hi Curt,
    >
    > We corresponded a while back about the inclusion of all or part of
    > win32utils in the Installer. Is that going to happen for 1.8.4-16?

    No, its not.

    Daniel Berger, the author of win32utils decided that he would prefer
    they not be included. Its been a while, but I believe it was because
    it was because doing so would limit he flexibility in canging the APIs
    and refactoring the functionality across different packages.

    Curt
    Curt Hibbs, Mar 29, 2006
  6. Curt Hibbs

    Joe Percival Guest

    Re: One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is a

    Curt Hibbs wrote:
    > The release file has been uploaded to RubyForge but may not be
    > available for an hour or so while the download mirrors synchronize.
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    > Curt

    Curt,
    Thank you!
    Without the one-click installer I am guessing that Ruby and Ruby on
    rails would not have reached nearly the popularity it has. Many of us,
    even if we are using a linux production environment, are using windows
    machines for our learning and development work and the installer has
    made this very accessible.

    Thanks again!
    joe

    Joe Percival, Mar 29, 2006
  7. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Re: One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is a

    Thanks!

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Mar 29, 2006
  8. Curt Hibbs

    Gary Watson Guest

    Curt Hibbs wrote:
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Curt

    ditto, thankyou very much for all your hard work.

    Gary Watson, Mar 29, 2006
  9. Curt Hibbs

    Gary Watson Guest

    Gary Watson wrote:
    > Curt Hibbs wrote:
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Curt

    > ditto, thankyou very much for all your hard work.

    I feel a little sheepish, I didn't realize I was replying to one of
    Curt's posts. The sentiment remains the same though.

    Thanks again,
    Gary

    Gary Watson, Mar 29, 2006
  10. Curt Hibbs

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 22:46 +0900, Joe Percival wrote:
    > Curt,
    > Thank you!
    > Without the one-click installer I am guessing that Ruby and Ruby on
    > rails would not have reached nearly the popularity it has. Many of us,
    > even if we are using a linux production environment, are using windows
    > machines for our learning and development work and the installer has
    > made this very accessible.

    So true. I was going to buy Curt's new book already:

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rubyrails/

    But even if I had zero interest in the subject matter, I'd buy it just
    to say thanks to Curt for all the work he's done on the 1 click
    installer!

    Yours,

    Tom
    Tom Copeland, Mar 29, 2006
  11. Curt Hibbs

    Guest

    Re: One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is a

    I second the thanks for the installer - nice work.

    How 'bout root certs to verify SSL - otherwise http-access2 SSL crashes
    by default - I know that this can be very irksome (do a Google search
    to see all the people confused...)
    , Mar 30, 2006
  12. Curt Hibbs

    James Britt Guest

    Re: [ANN] One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 isavailable!

    Curt Hibbs wrote:
    > The release file has been uploaded to RubyForge but may not be
    > available for an hour or so while the download mirrors synchronize.
    >
    > We are almost there to a final relase. There are only a couple minor
    > issues, and those are with the installer itself, not the Ruby runtime
    > that you get installed.
    >
    > The main problem is that when you uninstall, the Start Menu entries
    > are not removed. Plus, the RUBYOPT environment variable is still being
    > set to "rubygems" instead of having "rubygems" added to any existing
    > options. Both of these are easy to work around.

    It still breaks my file type -> editor association. After installing
    this version, I could not longer right-click and select Edit to open a
    rb file in gvim; I was prompted to select an application for this.

    Even though I unselected the options to install Scite and FreeRide, the
    installer is still setting the Edit option to

    "c:\ruby\scite\scite.exe" "%1" %*

    :(

    Thanks, though, for the great work done!

    James
    James Britt, Apr 2, 2006