ANN: One-Click Ruby Installer 186-27 Release Candidate 1 Available

Luis Lavena

Hello Rubists from the World.

This message is to announce the long waited update version of One-
Click Ruby Installer (OCI).

This version, built with VC6, updates some of the components,
including RubyGems and solve bugs found in the installer, sneaking
also some requested features.

As usual, you can download the latest version from the RubyForge page:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinstaller

What is included in this version?

Mainly Ruby itself was updated to 1.8.6 patchlevel 287, which will
make some users feel safer now :)
Besides RubyGems 1.2.0, this version updates several gems:

2008-09 Release 27
* Upgraded Ruby to 1.8.6 patch level 287
* Upgraded RubyGems to 1.2.0
* Upgraded Rake to 0.8.2
* Removed Rake batch file monkeypatches
* Upgraded FXRuby to 1.6.16
* Upgraded SciTE to 1.76. Fixes #8596
* Merged SciTE Ruby properties file.
* Upgraded OpenGL to 0.60.0
* Upgraded Expat to 2.0.1
* Upgraded Ruby/DBI to 0.2.2
* Upgraded VRuby to vruby080229
* Upgraded win32-api to 1.2.0
* Upgraded windows-api to 0.2.4
* Upgraded windows-pr to 0.9.3
* Upgraded win32-file-stat to 1.3.1
* Upgraded win32-file to 0.5.5
* Upgraded win32-clipboard to 0.4.4
* Upgraded win32-eventlog to 0.5.0
* Upgraded win32-process to 0.5.9
* Properly identify SystemDrive. Fixes #4946
* Make RUBYOPT optional as default
* Unset INPUTRC during uninstall. Fixes #4981
* Added IRB Shortcut to easy access. Fixes #8489
* Copy Emacs files to /misc. Fixes #5600
* Updated .inputrc for European keyboards

NOTE: Keep in mind this is a Release Candidate and should be used for
compatibility testing until Final version is released.

If no outstanding issue is raised, I'll consider this version stable
and mark it as final. If not, expect another RC next week :-D

Thank you again for your patience waiting for this release.

Regards,

Tim Hunter

Luis said:
Hello Rubists from the World.

This message is to announce the long waited update version of One-
Click Ruby Installer (OCI).

Bravo, Luis! Thanks for all your time and effort.

Michal Suchanek

Thanks for the new Ruby installer.

There are a few bits that I find odd:

I noticed that the zlib extension is both in 1.8 and in site_ruby for
some reason.

The curses extension can crash Ruby easily when used improperly.

irb(main):001:0> require 'curses'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> Curses.close_screen
(irb):2: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11) [i386-mswin32]

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Thanks

Michal

Luis Lavena

Thanks for the new Ruby installer.

There are a few bits that I find odd:

I noticed that the zlib extension is both in 1.8 and in site_ruby for
some reason.

Hmn, really odd.

That could be the cause of the reported bug about Zlib buffer error.
It's supposed to be removed by the bootstrap process, but looks like
is not working properly.
The curses extension can crash Ruby easily when used improperly.

irb(main):001:0> require 'curses'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> Curses.close_screen
(irb):2: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11) [i386-mswin32]

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

That will require proper reporting to curses maintainer and ruby-core
to update the bundled C code extension, since Ruby Installer project
is taking the binary version of it and adding the PDCurses dynamic
library (DLL) to allow the extension to work, nothing more, nothing
less.
Thanks

Michal

Thank you Michal for your report and feedback, nice findings!

Regards,

Mohit Sindhwani

Luis said:
[...]

Luis, thanks a lot!!

By the way, I'm not sure if anything has changed, but this seems to be
very fast. In fairness, I bought a new PC (quad-core 4GB RAM) that is
running Vista Business. I installed it on that PC and for some reason
(could be the PC, the RAM) but it is blazing fasssst!

ruby -v is instant. No, I mean it - instant! No cursor blinking, no
nothing else. Just instant!

It could be any number of issues - my virus scanner is not yet fully
enabled, the machine is fast. But, I have not yet on any of my machines
seen Ruby go so fasst!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to compare it - my old laptop runs on
XP and is using OCI 186-26... I haven't upgraded yet (not sure what the
process is) and I installed OCI 186-27 directly on the new machine.
But, I'm happy.

So, thanks again!

Cheers,
Mohit.