ANN: One-Click Ruby Installer 186-27 Release Candidate 2

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Luis Lavena, Nov 19, 2008.

  1. Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena Guest

    Hello Ruby for Windows users!

    At last second release candidate of 186-27 got released.

    First I'll like to explain why this took so long:

    When preparing this release (RC2), release 1.3.0 of RubyGems turned
    completely broken for Windows users.

    After several weeks, version 1.3.1 was released, but new version of
    Rake (0.8.2 and 0.8.3) showed also problems.

    While one of the issues where solved, the other is until now on hold,
    and that's one of the reasons we are sticking to Rake version 0.8.1.

    At the same time, I'm focusing forces and time in tools that will ease
    the release of native gems for Windows and the work on the new
    installer based on GCC (MinGW).

    Rest assured this project is far away from being dead.

    This is a reply to previous discussion in the list:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/4281b8a9d3ff5fd8

    You can download the new installer from the following URL:

    Thanks to everybody that reported bugs, features and issues with the
    install process.

    Also for other developers caring about this project.

    ===

    The following are the list of things implemented and fixed in this RC
    and previous one:

    2008-11 Release 27 - RC2
    * Upgraded RubyGems to 1.3.1
    * Upgraded Hpricot to 0.6.164
    * Silent installation option (/D) now works. Fixes #22572

    2008-10 Release 27 - RC1
    * Upgraded Ruby to 1.8.6 patch level 287
    * Upgraded RubyGems to 1.2.0
    * Upgraded Rake to 0.8.1
    * Removed Rake batch file monkeypatches
    * Upgraded FXRuby to 1.6.16
    * Upgraded SciTE to 1.76. Fixes #8596
    * Merged SciTE Ruby properties file.
    * Upgraded OpenGL to 0.60.0
    * Upgraded Expat to 2.0.1
    * Upgraded Ruby/DBI to 0.2.2
    * Upgraded VRuby to vruby080229
    * Upgraded win32-api to 1.2.0
    * Upgraded windows-api to 0.2.4
    * Upgraded windows-pr to 0.9.3
    * Upgraded win32-file-stat to 1.3.1
    * Upgraded win32-file to 0.5.5
    * Upgraded win32-clipboard to 0.4.4
    * Upgraded win32-eventlog to 0.5.0
    * Upgraded win32-process to 0.5.9
    * Properly identify SystemDrive. Fixes #4946
    * Make RUBYOPT optional as default
    * Unset INPUTRC during uninstall. Fixes #4981
    * Added IRB Shortcut to easy access. Fixes #8489
    * Copy Emacs files to /misc. Fixes #5600
    * Removed duplicated Zlib extension from installer. Fixes #22028
    * Updated .inputrc for European keyboards
    * Patch batch file to remove sandbox paths. Fixes #22329

    Luis Lavena, Nov 19, 2008

  2. Luis Lavena

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Luis Lavena wrote:
    > Hello Ruby for Windows users!
    >
    > At last second release candidate of 186-27 got released.

    Thanks so much for your work, Luis! I know this represents many hours of
    effort on your part. Many 1000's of Ruby users will benefit from it.

    --
    RMagick: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/

    Tim Hunter, Nov 20, 2008

  3. Luis Lavena

    Bill Walton Guest

    Re: One-Click Ruby Installer 186-27 Release Candidate 2

    Hi Luis,

    Luis Lavena wrote:

    > First I'll like to explain why this took so long:

    That certainly gives me a more informed appreciation for just how much we,
    I, owe you. Without the work you've done, Luis, most current Windows-based
    users of Ruby wouldn't be. Me included. Thank you very much for your
    continued efforts. I, and many others, are grateful.

    Best regards,
    Bill

    Bill Walton, Nov 20, 2008
  4. Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Nov 20, 12:11 am, Bill Walton <> wrote:
    > Hi Luis,
    >
    > Luis Lavena wrote:
    > > First I'll like to explain why this took so long:

    > That certainly gives me a more informed appreciation for just how much we,
    > I, owe you.  Without the work you've done, Luis, most current Windows-based
    > users of Ruby wouldn't be.  Me included.  Thank you very much for your
    > continued efforts.  I, and many others, are grateful.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Bill

    Thank you Bill and Tim for your kind words.

    None of this will be possible without Curt Hibbs and Andy Hunt work
    all these years, I'm just doing maintenance :)

    I believe Ruby on Windows has much more potential than the continuous
    ranting from Linux or OSX developers and their arguments about it.

    Whatever can be done to ease the path of transition, integration and
    co-existance, I'll go for it, that's my objective (besides trying to
    conquer the world, of course).

    Cheers,
    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Nov 20, 2008
  5. Re: One-Click Ruby Installer 186-27 Release Candidate 2

    On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:26:15PM +0900, Luis Lavena wrote:
    > On Nov 20, 12:11 am, Bill Walton <> wrote:
    > > Hi Luis,
    > >
    > > Luis Lavena wrote:
    > > > First I'll like to explain why this took so long:

    > > That certainly gives me a more informed appreciation for just how much we,
    > > I, owe you.  Without the work you've done, Luis, most current Windows-based
    > > users of Ruby wouldn't be.  Me included.  Thank you very much for your
    > > continued efforts.  I, and many others, are grateful.
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > > Bill

    > Thank you Bill and Tim for your kind words.
    >
    > None of this will be possible without Curt Hibbs and Andy Hunt work
    > all these years, I'm just doing maintenance :)
    >
    > I believe Ruby on Windows has much more potential than the continuous
    > ranting from Linux or OSX developers and their arguments about it.
    >
    > Whatever can be done to ease the path of transition, integration and
    > co-existance, I'll go for it, that's my objective (besides trying to
    > conquer the world, of course).

    Actually.......

    What I would really like is a service where I can upload a gem, it will
    unpack the gem, then run the tests under windows.

    I have my windows-less cross compilation working like a charm, but the
    only thing keeping me from frolicking in a a windows-free world is making sure
    my tests work.

    Even if the server made strict assumptions like 'rake test' runs the
    tests, that would be perfect (as long as I knew the assumptions ;-).

    --
    Aaron Patterson
    http://tenderlovemaking.com/

    Aaron Patterson, Nov 20, 2008
  6. Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena Guest

    Re: One-Click Ruby Installer 186-27 Release Candidate 2

    On Nov 20, 2:32 am, Aaron Patterson <>
    wrote:
    > On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:26:15PM +0900, Luis Lavena wrote:
    > > On Nov 20, 12:11 am, Bill Walton <> wrote:
    > > > Hi Luis,

    > > > That certainly gives me a more informed appreciation for just how much we,
    > > > I, owe you.  Without the work you've done, Luis, most current Windows-based
    > > > users of Ruby wouldn't be.  Me included.  Thank you very much foryour
    > > > continued efforts.  I, and many others, are grateful.

    > > > Best regards,
    > > > Bill

    > > Thank you Bill and Tim for your kind words.

    > > None of this will be possible without Curt Hibbs and Andy Hunt work
    > > all these years, I'm just doing maintenance :)

    > > I believe Ruby on Windows has much more potential than the continuous
    > > ranting from Linux or OSX developers and their arguments about it.

    > > Whatever can be done to ease the path of transition, integration and
    > > co-existance, I'll go for it, that's my objective (besides trying to
    > > conquer the world, of course).

    > Actually.......
    >
    > What I would really like is a service where I can upload a gem, it will
    > unpack the gem, then run the tests under windows.

    There was Fire brigade:

    http://eigenclass.org/hiki/firebrigade-launched

    But looks no more operational.

    > I have my windows-less cross compilation working like a charm, but the
    > only thing keeping me from frolicking in a a windows-free world is makingsure
    > my tests work.

    WINE is not a option for you? it could let you run the tests/specs as
    Windows.

    > Even if the server made strict assumptions like 'rake test' runs the
    > tests, that would be perfect (as long as I knew the assumptions ;-).

    I'll like that too, cross platform CI sounds interesting, maybe a
    company will like to sponsor that? I know there is run.code.run, but
    is not cross platform and is not distributed.

    http://runcoderun.com/

    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Nov 20, 2008
  7. Luis Lavena

    David Mullet Guest

    Luis Lavena wrote:

    > I believe Ruby on Windows has much more potential than the continuous
    > ranting from Linux or OSX developers and their arguments about it.

    I absolutely agree!

    Allow me to add my Thanks to you, Luis (and Andy and Curt), for all your
    work on the One-Click Installer, which is (IMHO) essential to Ruby's
    success on Windows.

    David

    David Mullet, Nov 20, 2008
  8. Re: One-Click Ruby Installer 186-27 Release Candidate 2

    I use both Windows and Linux. In Linux I have not problems but in =
    Windows I have some one. Can any say me where to download this OneClic =
    Installer for Windows?

    Ing. Reynier P=E9rez Mira
    Direcci=F3n T=E9cnica IP=20

    Reynier Perez Mira, Nov 20, 2008
  9. Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Nov 20, 12:26 pm, Reynier Perez Mira <> wrote:
    > I use both Windows and Linux. In Linux I have not problems but in WindowsI have some one. Can any say me where to download this OneClic Installer for Windows?
    >

    > Luis Lavena wrote:
    > You can download the new installer from the following URL:
    >
    > http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167&release_id=28426

    There you go, you ruby186-27_rc2.exe is the installer.

    Version schema will change in the next release.

    HTH,
    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Nov 20, 2008
  10. Re: One-Click Ruby Installer 186-27 Release Candidate 2

    > Version schema will change in the next release.

    What you mean with this? Is this a problem if I install this RC2 and =
    then try to update?

    Ing. Reynier P=E9rez Mira
    Direcci=F3n T=E9cnica IP=20

    Reynier Perez Mira, Nov 20, 2008
  11. Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Nov 20, 1:44 pm, Reynier Perez Mira <> wrote:
    > > Version schema will change in the next release.

    > What you mean with this? Is this a problem if I install this RC2 and thentry to update?

    No, the thing is that 186-27 is confusing, it means Ruby 1.8.6-p27 or
    what?

    There is no update mechanism with the installer, the best practice is
    backup your gems, uninstall and install the new version on top.

    Nevermind, I sometimes air some thoughts :)

    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Nov 20, 2008