ANN: OpenNETCF introduces ASP.NET Web Server for Windows CE

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Oct 29, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    We're at it again!

    OpenNETCF Consulting is pleased to announce the release of a new product
    named "Padarn". Padarn is a very small footprint (less than 300k for all
    files) ASP.NET web server designed to run under the limited resource
    environments of Windows CE 5.0 and 6.0.

    Padarn lets you leverage both existing codebases and the rapid development
    enabled by managed code plus, unlike the out-of-box web "solutions" for
    Windows CE, you can actually use a debugger to step through your code with
    Padarn.

    To see Padarn in action or to just get more information visit us on the web
    at http://www.opennetcf.com/padarn.ocf

    --

    Chris Tacke, eMVP
    Join the Embedded Developer Community

    Guest, Oct 29, 2007

    Jin Chang Guest

    On Oct 29, 6:37 pm, "<ctacke/>" <ctacke[at]opennetcf[dot]com> wrote:
    > We're at it again!
    >
    > OpenNETCF Consulting is pleased to announce the release of a new product
    > named "Padarn". Padarn is a very small footprint (less than 300k for all
    > files) ASP.NET web server designed to run under the limited resource
    > environments of Windows CE 5.0 and 6.0.
    >
    > Padarn lets you leverage both existing codebases and the rapid development
    > enabled by managed code plus, unlike the out-of-box web "solutions" for
    > Windows CE, you can actually use a debugger to step through your code with
    > Padarn.
    >
    > To see Padarn in action or to just get more information visit us on the web
    > athttp://www.opennetcf.com/padarn.ocf
    >
    > --
    >
    > Chris Tacke, eMVP
    > Join the Embedded Developer Communityhttp://community.opennetcf.com

    Wow!!! Thanks for the heads-up. I've been waiting for a solution
    similar to this for months. The best part is that I'm already
    familiar with ASP.NET (since the 1.1. days). This will come in handy
    in several of my projects.

    - Jin

    Jin Chang, Oct 30, 2007

    Jin Chang Guest

    On Oct 29, 6:37 pm, "<ctacke/>" <ctacke[at]opennetcf[dot]com> wrote:
    > We're at it again!
    >
    > OpenNETCF Consulting is pleased to announce the release of a new product
    > named "Padarn". Padarn is a very small footprint (less than 300k for all
    > files) ASP.NET web server designed to run under the limited resource
    > environments of Windows CE 5.0 and 6.0.
    >
    > Padarn lets you leverage both existing codebases and the rapid development
    > enabled by managed code plus, unlike the out-of-box web "solutions" for
    > Windows CE, you can actually use a debugger to step through your code with
    > Padarn.
    >
    > To see Padarn in action or to just get more information visit us on the web
    > athttp://www.opennetcf.com/padarn.ocf
    >
    > --
    >
    > Chris Tacke, eMVP
    > Join the Embedded Developer Communityhttp://community.opennetcf.com

    A quick question on this product.

    Is it for Windows CE 5.0/6.0 only or does it work also for Windows
    Mobile 5.0/6.0?
    Also, is it possible to combine both regular Windows CE/Mobile
    application and the ASP.NET pages (perhaps using the WebBrowser
    control)? I'm asking because I may have a need to implement a dynamic
    data-entry page in my Windows Mobile 5/6 application, and the Flow-
    Layout of web pages via the ASP.NET page may do the trick.

    Thanks in advance for your reply.

    - Jin

    Jin Chang, Oct 30, 2007
  4. This subthread is why announcement posts are frowned upon in technical newsgroups.

    The purpose of this newsgroup is not to discuss 3rd party products.
    It's to allow peers to help others with coding/architectural ASP.NET issues.

    The original announcement was totally O.T. for this newsgroup,
    besides having been excessively cross-posted.

    Please do *not* post product announcements to this technical newsgroup again.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 30, 2007

    Guest Guest

    I apologize. It seems that the ASP groups seem a little less willing to
    accept that 3rd party solutions fill a need and don't understand that
    messages can be filtered. Us knuckle-dragging embedded guys will keep to
    ourselves from now on.

    --

    Chris Tacke, eMVP (that means an embedded MVP)
    Join the Embedded Developer Community (unless you're not an embedded

    Guest, Oct 30, 2007

    Hilton Guest

    Juan,

    Technically yes. But given the tons of postings we have in the NGs, one or
    two ANNs don't hurt that much do they? I never look in the announcement
    groups and I bet many other folks don't either.

    And probably more importantly, Chris and the other guys contribute an
    unbelievable amount not only to these NGs but to the whole CF community that
    I think we can cut them some slack here. In fact, I cannot speak for anyone
    else, but I sure as heck want to know what the OpenNET guys are up to and I
    really like reading about their new procuts (as well as other folks).

    Chris, Jon, Paul, Simon et al - thank you for your contributions and keep up
    the excellent work.

    Hilton
    P.S.: Juan, just autodelete "ANN" and you're done.

    Hilton, Oct 31, 2007
  7. re:
    !> I never look in the announcement groups

    Maybe you should.

    re:
    !> I think we can cut them some slack here

    The problem is that doing that opens up a can of worms.

    For the record, I am sympathetic to some product announcements.

    The problem is that, if one announcement is OK,
    then all announcements would have to be OK, too.

    There's a reason for having an announcements newsgroup.

    re:
    !> Chris, Jon, Paul, Simon et al - thank you for your contributions and keep up the excellent work.

    I agree...just don't clutter this newsgroup with
    announcements and the discussions they generate.

    There's an announcements newsgroup which
    was created just for posting announcements.

    If you're too lazy to read announcements there, please don't
    contribute to make the rest of us have to read announcements here.

    re:
    !> P.S.: Juan, just autodelete "ANN" and you're done

    P.S. : I'd like to see how that's done in the web interface,
    which seems to be the most used interface these days.

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 31, 2007

    Dean Ramsier Guest

    The original criticism of the announcement was inappropriately crossposted.
    The announcement may not have been appropriate in the group you frequent
    (you didn't specify in your crossposting), but those of us in the embedded
    groups do appreciate it. Please limit future postings accordingly...

    --
    Dean Ramsier - eMVP
    BSQUARE Corporation

    Dean Ramsier, Oct 31, 2007

    Shloma Baum Guest

    Hilton,

    Well said, can't agree more, I guess Juan sitting on the ASP has no idea how
    much these guys contribute to this group, hence the way he criticised.

    Regard,
    Shloma Baum
    Pioneer Interactive, Inc.
    http://www.pioneerinteractive.com

    Shloma Baum, Oct 31, 2007
  10. re:
    !> Where can I find the asp.net web server(downloadable) for Wince 5. Can I get a Trail Version?

    It's a bit pricey...

    http://www.opennetcf.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

    The trial version costs $300...refundable when you buy Padam.

    Also, if you contract their consulting services to build an embedded solution,
    you get Padam for "free" or, at least, as "free" as consulting services get. <g>

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    ¿ Estas probando VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0 ?
    Regístrate (gratis) en los Foros de VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0, en español
    http://asp.net.do/foros/forums/

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 17, 2009