ANN: P(x) 0.2 applet builder

Mike Meyer

P(x) is hard to describe. It might be called a "Framework", but that's
a grandiose word for a couple of hundred lines of code. It might be
called a programmable calculator, but it has none of the things one
associates with calculators. It might be called a programming
language, but it's just Python some extra builtins. So I settled
on "applet builder".

A P(x) applet has a set of input variables, a set of output variables,
and a function that calculates the latter from the former. P(x)
provides the GUI to let the user enter input variables and read and
copy output variables. The current implementation restricts the
variables to integers, strings and floats. Examples include
temperature converters and a numerical integration tool.

The tarball can be found at <URL:
http://www.mired.org/downloads/P(x)-0.2.tar.gz >.

<mike

Steve Holden

LB said:
Something doesn't work with the link.

LB
Copy the whole string up to and including the ".gz" at the end and paste
that into your browser's location window.

I think it's a bit ill-advised to use parens in a URL, and if you do
then they shoud really be represented as %xx escapes.

regards
Steve

Mike Meyer

Steve Holden said:
Copy the whole string up to and including the ".gz" at the end and
paste that into your browser's location window.

I think it's a bit ill-advised to use parens in a URL, and if you do
then they shoud really be represented as %xx escapes.

I wouldn't have expected parens to be a problem in a URL - they aren't
magic characters in URLs. I expected some problems in dealing with it
in a shell, but not on the web. Because of that, I looked for - but
didn't find - an option in distutils to specify a name for the
tarball. I finally decided not to fight distutils, and went with the
name it wanted to use.

Since following standards is optional on the web, at least if things
work in the most popular browser of the day, I probably should have
seen this coming.

The URL with the ()'s pre-escaped is:

I expected mail/news readers to encode the URL. Some will probably do
that with this one, resulting in (another) broken link.

<mike

Fredrik Lundh

Mike said:
Since following standards is optional on the web, at least if things
work in the most popular browser of the day, I probably should have
seen this coming.

IE has no problems handling that link, if that's what you mean.

judging from

[ Info] Unable to open input file:
http://www.mired.org/downloads/P(x)-0.2.tar.gz
[ Info] Compilation error: Unrecognized header string

it looks like LB has configured his browser to pass all gz files to some
ancient VRML plugin; see e.g.

http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#VRML_error

</F>

Steve Holden

Fredrik said:
Mike Meyer wrote:

Since following standards is optional on the web, at least if things
work in the most popular browser of the day, I probably should have
seen this coming.

IE has no problems handling that link, if that's what you mean.

judging from

[ Info] Unable to open input file:
http://www.mired.org/downloads/P(x)-0.2.tar.gz
[ Info] Compilation error: Unrecognized header string

it looks like LB has configured his browser to pass all gz files to some
ancient VRML plugin; see e.g.

http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#VRML_error
For the avoidance of doubt, the problem for me wasn't with the browser,
it was Thunderbird that decided the URL ended just before the closing
parenthesis. For some reason the opening paren and the x were perfectly
acceptable.

Copying the text and pasting it into Firefox's location widget brought
the page up without difficulty.

regards
Steve

LB

it looks like LB has configured his browser to pass all gz files to some
ancient VRML plugin; see e.g.

You are right! And now it's fixed.
But till yesterday I did download of .gz file with no problems at
all...

Thanks,

LB

LB