[ANN] PDF::Writer Technology Preview

Austin Ziegler

It is with great pleasure that I am announcing the technology preview of
PDF::Writer. This version is so alpha that you're advised to run it and
delete it after you've proven to yourself that it works. :)

Seriously, the API for PDF::Writer will be changing drastically over the
next few weeks, so don't base any projects on the current state of the code.
Unless, of course, I'm hit by a bus.

Unlike ruby-clibpdf, ruby-pdflib, and ruby-panda, this library is entirely
written in Ruby. It is not a connector to a C-based library: it is the
library.

The library is available under an MIT-style licence; see LICENCE for more
information.

I've been promising this for a while, and I have to thank both David Black
and Carlos (angus_ on #ruby-lang) for helping me track down a persistent bug
that has stumped me.

You can find it at http://www.halostatue.ca/ruby/PDF__Writer.html and on the
RAA. I have also applied for a RubyForge project. At that point, I will be
uploading the code to CVS there. After I have stabilised the API, if anyone
is interested, I will happily accept assistance on the project. There's a
lot more that I want to do, including bringing in a lot of the functionality
that Perl's PDF::API2 provides and making the in-memory document format less
recursive.

-austin