ANN: Phatch = PHoto bATCH processor and renamer based on PIL

Discussion in 'Python' started by SPE - Stani's Python Editor, Feb 18, 2008.

  1. I'm pleased to announce the release of Phatch which is a
    powerful batch processor and renamer. Phatch exposes a big part of the
    Python Imaging Library through an user friendly GUI. (It is using
    python-pyexiv2 to offer more extensive EXIF and IPTC support.) Phatch
    is not targeted at manipulating individual pictures (such as with
    Gimp), but repeating the same actions on hundreds or thousands of
    images.

    If you know PIL and have some nice recipes laying around, it is very
    easy to write plugins as Phatch generates the corresponding GUI
    automagically just like in Django. Any existings PIL scripts can be
    added very easily. Let me know if you want to contribute or have any
    questions.

    Homepage: http://photobatch.stani.be (free download link below)
    Tutorials: http://photobatch.wikidot.com/tutorials
    Translations: https://translations.launchpad.net/phatch/trunk/ pots/phatch
    License: GPLv3
    Screenshot: http://photobatch.wikidot.com/local--files/start/Screenshot-Phatch3d.jpg
    (the perspective and reflection is produced by Phatch itself)

    Phatch has many features, like:
    - EXIF information inspector with thumbnail
    - limit jpeg file size when saving
    - tons of actions organized by tags (including perspective, round
    corners, shadow, reflection, ...)
    - console version (Phatch can now run without a gui on servers)
    - batch rename and copy files based on exif metadata
    - data stamping (http://photobatch.wikidot.com)
    - online documentation wiki (http://photobatch.wikidot.com)

    Linux only features:
    - desktop or panel droplets on which images or folders can be dropped
    (will be ported to Windows & Mac)
    - Nautilus and desktop integration (with its own mime type and
    nautilus extension)
    - manpage with examples

    With python-pyexiv2 the following featues are added:
    - embedding the original EXIF and IPTC tags in the image

    All actions mostly have a separate pil function in their source code,
    so they could be read as a recipe book for PIL:
    * Auto Contrast - Maximize image contrast
    * Background - Put colour under transparent image
    * Border - Crop or add border to all sides
    * Brightness - Adjust brightness from black to white
    * Canvas - Crop the image or enlarge canvas without resizing the image
    * Colorize - Colorize grayscale image
    * Common - Copies the most common pixel value
    * Contrast - Adjust from grey to black & white
    * Convert Mode - Convert the color mode of an image (grayscale, RGB,
    RGBA or CMYK)
    * Copy - Copy image file
    * Effect - Blur, Sharpen, Emboss, Smooth, ...
    * Equalize - Equalize the image histogram
    * Fit - Downsize and crop image with fixed ratio
    * Grayscale - Fade all colours to gray
    * Invert - Invert the colors of the image (negative)
    * Maximum - Copies the maximum pixel value
    * Mask - Apply a transparency mask
    * Median - Copies the median pixel value
    * Minimum - Copies the minimum pixel value
    * Offset - Offset by distance and wrap around
    * Posterize - Reduce the number of bits of colour channel
    * Perspective - Shear 2d or 3d
    * Rank - Copies the rank'th pixel value
    * Reflect - Drops a reflection
    * Rename - Rename image file
    * Rotate - Rotate with random angle
    * Round - Round or crossed corners with variable radius and corners
    * Saturation - Adjust saturation from grayscale to high
    * Save - Save an image with variable compression in different types
    * Scale - Scale an image with different resample filters.
    * Shadow - Drop a blurred shadow under a photo with variable position,
    blur and color
    * Solarize - Invert all pixel values above threshold
    * Text - Write text at a given position
    * Transpose - Flip or rotate an image by 90 degrees
    * Watermark - Apply a watermark image with variable placement (offset,
    scaling, tiling) and opacity

    I develop Phatch on Ubuntu/Linux, but I have tested and polished it
    regularly on Windows and Mac Os X. (Only the droplet functionality
    needs to be ported.) Phatch is submitted to Debian unstable and
    Ubuntu Hardy. Packagers for other platforms are welcome.

    Requirements:
    - PIL 1.1.5 or higher
    - wxPython 2.6 or higher
    - pyexiv2 (optional)
    - python nautilus bindings (optional)

    Best regards,
    Stani
    --
    http://pythonide.stani.be
    SPE - Stani's Python Editor, Feb 18, 2008

  2. On 2/18/08, SPE - Stani's Python Editor <> wrote:
> [...]
    > * Round - Round or crossed corners with variable radius and corners
    > * Saturation - Adjust saturation from grayscale to high
    > * Save - Save an image with variable compression in different types
    > * Scale - Scale an image with different resample filters.
    > * Shadow - Drop a blurred shadow under a photo with variable position,
    > blur and color
    > * Solarize - Invert all pixel values above threshold
    > * Text - Write text at a given position
    > * Transpose - Flip or rotate an image by 90 degrees
    > * Watermark - Apply a watermark image with variable placement (offset,
    > scaling, tiling) and opacity
    >
    > I develop Phatch on Ubuntu/Linux, but I have tested and polished it
    > regularly on Windows and Mac Os X. (Only the droplet functionality
    > needs to be ported.) Phatch is submitted to Debian unstable and
    > Ubuntu Hardy. Packagers for other platforms are welcome.

    This is pretty cool! I have one question about the equally cool
    website: what tool did you use for creating this image:

    http://photobatch.wikidot.com/local--files/start/Screenshot-Phatch3d.jpg

    Cheers,
    Daniel
    Daniel Fetchinson, Feb 19, 2008

  3. On Feb 19, 4:23 am, "Daniel Fetchinson" <>
    wrote:
    > On 2/18/08, SPE - Stani's Python Editor <> wrote:
    > > I'm pleased to announce the release of Phatch which is a
    > > powerful batch processor and renamer. Phatch exposes a big part of the
    > > Python Imaging Library through an user friendly GUI. (It is using
    > > python-pyexiv2 to offer more extensive EXIF and IPTC support.) Phatch
    > > is not targeted at manipulating individual pictures (such as with
    > > Gimp), but repeating the same actions on hundreds or thousands of
    > > images.

    > > If you know PIL and have some nice recipes laying around, it is very
    > > easy to write plugins as Phatch generates the corresponding GUI
    > > automagically just like in Django. Any existings PIL scripts can be
    > > added very easily. Let me know if you want to contribute or have any
    > > questions.

    > > Homepage:http://photobatch.stani.be(free download link below)
    > > Tutorials:http://photobatch.wikidot.com/tutorials
    > > Translations:https://translations.launchpad.net/phatch/trunk/ pots/phatch
    > > License: GPLv3
    > > Screenshot:
    > >http://photobatch.wikidot.com/local--files/start/Screenshot-Phatch3d.jpg
    > > (the perspective and reflection is produced by Phatch itself)

    > This is pretty cool! I have one question about the equally cool
    > website: what tool did you use for creating this image:
    >
    > http://photobatch.wikidot.com/local--files/start/Screenshot-Phatch3d.jpg

    This is Phatchs own dogfood. I guess you missed the tutorials link.
    There is a tutorial how you can achieve this effect:
    http://photobatch.wikidot.com/tutorial-round-3d-reflect

    I run Phatch on three screenshots I have to put them in perspective
    with rounded corners and perspective. I let Phatch save them as a png
    so transparency is preserved. Afterwards I opened Gimp and put the
    three together on the background of a radial gradient.

    Let me know if it works for you.

    Stani
    SPE - Stani's Python Editor, Feb 19, 2008
  4. SPE - Stani's Python Editor

    Steve Holden Guest

    SPE - Stani's Python Editor wrote:
    > I'm pleased to announce the release of Phatch which is a
    > powerful batch processor and renamer. Phatch exposes a big part of the
    > Python Imaging Library through an user friendly GUI. (It is using
    > python-pyexiv2 to offer more extensive EXIF and IPTC support.) Phatch
    > is not targeted at manipulating individual pictures (such as with
    > Gimp), but repeating the same actions on hundreds or thousands of
    > images.

    Perhaps you could put a link to the source on the Windows instalL page?
    I don't mind being a second-class citizen, but it's annoying to have to
    jump around like that.

    Looks like a nice piece of work.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Feb 19, 2008
  5. SPE - Stani's Python Editor

    Steve Holden Guest

    Steve Holden, Feb 19, 2008
  6. Steve Holden <> said :

    > Perhaps you could put a link to the source on the Windows instalL page?
    > I don't mind being a second-class citizen, but it's annoying to have to
    > jump around like that.

    I'm interested too, and was also wondering if Phatch is as full-featured
    unders Windows as under Linux, specifically the EXIF/IPTC functions made
    available through pyexiv2 : exiv2 itself seems to discriminate between the
    two, the Windows package only has the executable, not the library.

    --
    YAFAP : http://www.multimania.com/fredp/
    Fred Pacquier, Feb 19, 2008
  7. > > > I'm pleased to announce the release of Phatch which is a
    > > > powerful batch processor and renamer. Phatch exposes a big part of the
    > > > Python Imaging Library through an user friendly GUI. (It is using
    > > > python-pyexiv2 to offer more extensive EXIF and IPTC support.) Phatch
    > > > is not targeted at manipulating individual pictures (such as with
    > > > Gimp), but repeating the same actions on hundreds or thousands of
    > > > images.

    > > > If you know PIL and have some nice recipes laying around, it is very
    > > > easy to write plugins as Phatch generates the corresponding GUI
    > > > automagically just like in Django. Any existings PIL scripts can be
    > > > added very easily. Let me know if you want to contribute or have any
    > > > questions.

    > > > Homepage:http://photobatch.stani.be(free download link below)
    > > > Tutorials:http://photobatch.wikidot.com/tutorials
    > > >

    > Translations:https://translations.launchpad.net/phatch/trunk/ pots/phatch
    > > > License: GPLv3
    > > > Screenshot:
    > > >http://photobatch.wikidot.com/local--files/start/Screenshot-Phatch3d.jpg
    > > > (the perspective and reflection is produced by Phatch itself)

    > > This is pretty cool! I have one question about the equally cool
    > > website: what tool did you use for creating this image:
    > >
    > > http://photobatch.wikidot.com/local--files/start/Screenshot-Phatch3d.jpg

    > This is Phatchs own dogfood. I guess you missed the tutorials link.
    > There is a tutorial how you can achieve this effect:
    > http://photobatch.wikidot.com/tutorial-round-3d-reflect
    >
    > I run Phatch on three screenshots I have to put them in perspective
    > with rounded corners and perspective. I let Phatch save them as a png
    > so transparency is preserved. Afterwards I opened Gimp and put the
    > three together on the background of a radial gradient.
    >
    > Let me know if it works for you.

    Yep, I indeed missed the tutorial :)
    Now it's clear, thanks a lot!

    Cheers,
    Daniel
    Daniel Fetchinson, Feb 19, 2008
  8. "SPE - Stani's Python Editor" <>:

    >I develop Phatch on Ubuntu/Linux, but I have tested and polished it
    >regularly on Windows and Mac Os X. (Only the droplet functionality
    >needs to be ported.) Phatch is submitted to Debian unstable and
    >Ubuntu Hardy. Packagers for other platforms are welcome.
    >
    >Requirements:
    >- PIL 1.1.5 or higher
    >- wxPython 2.6 or higher
    >- pyexiv2 (optional)
    >- python nautilus bindings (optional)

    Hm. I just gave it a try on Windows, but in vain. See below.

    C:\build\phatch-0.1.bzr385>python setup.py install

    just says

    Sorry your platform is not yet supported.

    >>> from PIL import Image
    >>> Image.VERSION

    '1.1.5'
    >>> import wx
    >>> wx.__version__

    '2.8.7.1'

    By greping for "Sorry you platform", I found config.py and there
    (abbreviated) the following function:

    def check_config_paths(config_paths):
    if config_paths: return config_paths
    p = sys.prefix
    if sys.platform[:5] == 'linux':
    return {
    "PHATCH_IMAGE_PATH" :
    else:
    sys.stderr.write('Sorry your platform is not yet supported.\n')
    sys.exit()

    How is this supposed to work on Windows?

    --
    Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen
    Wolfgang Strobl, Feb 19, 2008
  9. SPE - Stani's Python Editor

    Steve Holden Guest

    Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
    > "SPE - Stani's Python Editor" <>:
    >
    >> I develop Phatch on Ubuntu/Linux, but I have tested and polished it
    >> regularly on Windows and Mac Os X. (Only the droplet functionality
    >> needs to be ported.) Phatch is submitted to Debian unstable and
    >> Ubuntu Hardy. Packagers for other platforms are welcome.
    >>
    >> Requirements:
    >> - PIL 1.1.5 or higher
    >> - wxPython 2.6 or higher
    >> - pyexiv2 (optional)
    >> - python nautilus bindings (optional)

    > Hm. I just gave it a try on Windows, but in vain. See below.
    >
    > C:\build\phatch-0.1.bzr385>python setup.py install
    >
    > just says
    >
    > Sorry your platform is not yet supported.

    > '1.1.5'

    > '2.8.7.1'
    >
    > By greping for "Sorry you platform", I found config.py and there
    > (abbreviated) the following function:
    >
    > def check_config_paths(config_paths):
    > if config_paths: return config_paths
    > p = sys.prefix
    > if sys.platform[:5] == 'linux':
    > return {
    > "PHATCH_IMAGE_PATH" :
    > else:
    > sys.stderr.write('Sorry your platform is not yet supported.\n')
    > sys.exit()
    >
    > How is this supposed to work on Windows?

    RTFM: the web site instructions clearly state that setup.py doesn't
    currently work with Windows. You should be able to double-click on the
    program in Explorer, or use any of the standard ways of creating a link
    shortcut.

    regards
    Steve

    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Feb 19, 2008
  10. Steve Holden <> wrote:

    >RTFM: the web site instructions clearly state that setup.py doesn't
    >currently work with Windows.

    Do they? http://photobatch.stani.be/ doesn't, following "documentation"
    http://photobatch.stani.be/ doesn't, either. I missed "start phatch in
    trunk/phatch" while browsing through the web site, though. Not finding
    any specific instructions in README and finding no INSTALL at all, I
    expected setup.py to work on any platform.

    >You should be able to double-click on the
    >program in Explorer, or use any of the standard ways of creating a link
    >shortcut.

    Just starting phatch.py in phatch, as documented, does it, too. Thanks!

    --
    Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen
    Wolfgang Strobl, Feb 20, 2008
  11. SPE - Stani's Python Editor

    Steve Holden Guest

    Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
    > Steve Holden <> wrote:
    >
    >> RTFM: the web site instructions clearly state that setup.py doesn't
    >> currently work with Windows.

    > Do they? http://photobatch.stani.be/ doesn't, following "documentation"
    > http://photobatch.stani.be/ doesn't, either. I missed "start phatch in
    > trunk/phatch" while browsing through the web site, though. Not finding
    > any specific instructions in README and finding no INSTALL at all, I
    > expected setup.py to work on any platform.
    >
    >> You should be able to double-click on the
    >> program in Explorer, or use any of the standard ways of creating a link
    >> shortcut.

    > Just starting phatch.py in phatch, as documented, does it, too. Thanks!

    Pardon me for reading the install instructions :) -- from
    http://photobatch.wikidot.com/install:

    Windows

    Requirements

    Install first Python (2.5 or 2.4), wxPython (2.8 or 2.6) and Python
    Imaging Library (1.1.6 or 1.1.5).
    Installation

    Fetch the tar.gz source package from the phatch download page. Unzip the
    downloaded file. Do not run "python setup.py install", as this is only
    supported for linux! Start Phatch in trunk/phatch with:

    python phatch.py
    """

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Feb 20, 2008
  12. SPE - Stani's Python Editor

    Stani Guest

    On Feb 19, 1:19 pm, Steve Holden <> wrote:
    > Perhaps you could put a link to the source on the Windows instalL page?
    > I don't mind being a second-class citizen, but it's annoying to have to
    > jump around like that.

    It is an open wiki, but I changed it. I am a bit reluctant as the only
    website which is fixed now is http://photobatch.stani.be and all other
    parts (dedibox, wikidot) might change once I've got the time to build my
    own website. So those references run the risk of being outdated in the
    future.

    > Looks like a nice piece of work.

    Thanks, have a nice day!

    Stani
    Stani, Feb 20, 2008
  13. SPE - Stani's Python Editor

    Stani Guest

    Fred Pacquier <xnews2 <at> fredp.lautre.net> writes:

    > Steve Holden <steve <at> holdenweb.com> said :
    >
    > > Perhaps you could put a link to the source on the Windows instalL page?
    > > I don't mind being a second-class citizen, but it's annoying to have to
    > > jump around like that.

    > I'm interested too, and was also wondering if Phatch is as full-featured
    > unders Windows as under Linux, specifically the EXIF/IPTC functions made
    > available through pyexiv2 : exiv2 itself seems to discriminate between the
    > two, the Windows package only has the executable, not the library.

    Even without python-pyexiv2 Phatch features read-only EXIF support thanks to
    PIL. So you can name your files or write data stamps (date, aperature, velocity,
    ....) based on EXIF information. If you want to save EXIF and IPTC information to
    files you need python-pyexiv2. From its website:
    "However, the library and all the tools used are cross-platform, so very little
    tweaking should be needed to get it to work fine on Windows or MacOS X."
    http://tilloy.net/dev/pyexiv2/developers.htm

    The exiv2 website says:
    "The Windows package only contains the command line utility exiv2.exe
    (statically linked), manpage and a sample command file; get the source and doc
    packages for the library, documentation and other tools."
    http://www.exiv2.org/download.html

    So maybe someone can compile it.

    But... Phatch is designed with flexibility in mind. If someone can point me to a
    free python library for Windows for EXIF and other metadata, I'll be happy to
    integrate support for it in Phatch. Ideas anyone?

    Or you could write a python wrapper around the executable.

    Stani
    --
    Phatch - http://photobatch.stani.be
    SPE - http://pythonide.stani.be
    Stani, Feb 20, 2008
  14. SPE - Stani's Python Editor

    Stani Guest

    Wolfgang Strobl <news2 <at> mystrobl.de> writes:

    > Steve Holden <steve <at> holdenweb.com> wrote:
    >
    > >RTFM: the web site instructions clearly state that setup.py doesn't
    > >currently work with Windows.

    > Do they? http://photobatch.stani.be/ doesn't, following "documentation"
    > http://photobatch.stani.be/ doesn't, either.

    Strange. If you follow documentation on http://photobatch.stani.be you get on
    the documentation website, where there are clearly links to install.

    > I missed "start phatch in
    > trunk/phatch" while browsing through the web site, though. Not finding
    > any specific instructions in README and finding no INSTALL at all, I
    > expected setup.py to work on any platform.

    For the next release I added a remark in README. I hope that helps.

    I strongly advise you to read the tutorials:
    http://photobatch.wikidot.com/tutorials (for your convenience one of them is
    even translated in german, feel free to translate the other one)

    Thans to Frédéric, there is now a tutorial for writing your own actions with PIL
    (no knowledge of wxpython needed):
    http://photobatch.wikidot.com/writing-actions

    Also to understand fully how variables work in Phatch for filenames and folders:
    http://photobatch.wikidot.com/variables

    As a general note, the documentation website is an open wiki, so feel free to
    improve or contribute (eg how to install Phatch on Windows ;-) ).
    Stani, Feb 20, 2008
  15. Stani <> said :

    > Even without python-pyexiv2 Phatch features read-only EXIF support
    > thanks to PIL. So you can name your files or write data stamps (date,
    > aperature, velocity, ...) based on EXIF information.

    Oh, that's good. I hadn't looked at PIL for a long while and wasn't aware
    it did that.

    > If you want to
    > save EXIF and IPTC information to files you need python-pyexiv2. From
    > its website: "However, the library and all the tools used are
    > cross-platform, so very little tweaking should be needed to get it to
    > work fine on Windows or MacOS X."
    > http://tilloy.net/dev/pyexiv2/developers.htm
    > The exiv2 website says:
    > "The Windows package only contains the command line utility exiv2.exe
    > (statically linked), manpage and a sample command file; get the source
    > and doc packages for the library, documentation and other tools."
    > http://www.exiv2.org/download.html
    > So maybe someone can compile it.

    Thanks for the confirmation Stani : as I suspected, this means exiv2 is
    (deliberately ?) not end-user-ready for Windows (as in, download, install
    and configure). I have Googled around a bit but there doesn't seem to be
    anyone supplying a ready-made binary lib. Too bad.

    > But... Phatch is designed with flexibility in mind. If someone can
    > point me to a free python library for Windows for EXIF and other
    > metadata, I'll be happy to integrate support for it in Phatch. Ideas
    > anyone?

    That is exactly the problem. EXIF/IPTC were fashionable in python circles
    some years ago but apart from a long-dead sourceforge project and a
    couple of read-only modules, nothing really came out of it.

    In fact, I was coincidentally searching for just such a thing when I came
    across a pointer to Phatch, a few days before you announced it here...
    Fred Pacquier, Feb 20, 2008
  16. On Feb 18, 9:58 am, "SPE - Stani's Python Editor"
    <> wrote:
    > I'm pleased to announce the release of Phatch which is a
    > powerful batch processor and renamer. Phatch exposes a big part of

    This program is fantastic! Very accesible user interface and produces
    ggreat images.

    Thanks!

    Istvan

    PS. the name Phatch is a bit hard to prononunce (easily confusable
    with fetch), it is not easy to talk about it in a live conversation.
    You should just call it photo-batch, in the end all the acronym saves
    you is four letters and you lose the obvious meaning of what the tool
    does. Anyhow, just a suggestion based on the first impressions, great
    tool, great functionality. We can surely nominate it for the best
    Python based tool of 2008 ... so far ;-)
    Istvan Albert, Feb 21, 2008
  17. On Feb 20, 4:19 am, Stani <> wrote:
    > Fred Pacquier <xnews2 <at> fredp.lautre.net> writes:
    >

    > > Steve Holden <steve <at> holdenweb.com> said :

    > > > Perhaps you could put a link to the source on the Windows instalL page?
    > > > I don't mind being a second-class citizen, but it's annoying to have to
    > > > jump around like that.

    > > I'm interested too, and was also wondering if Phatch is as full-featured
    > > unders Windows as under Linux, specifically the EXIF/IPTC functions made
    > > available through pyexiv2 : exiv2 itself seems to discriminate between the
    > > two, the Windows package only has the executable, not the library.

    > Even without python-pyexiv2 Phatch features read-only EXIF support thanks to
    > PIL. So you can name your files or write data stamps (date, aperature, velocity,
    > ...) based on EXIF information. If you want to save EXIF and IPTC information to
    > files you need python-pyexiv2. From its website:
    > "However, the library and all the tools used are cross-platform, so very little
    > tweaking should be needed to get it to work fine on Windows or MacOS X."http://tilloy.net/dev/pyexiv2/developers.htm
    >
    > The exiv2 website says:
    > "The Windows package only contains the command line utility exiv2.exe
    > (statically linked), manpage and a sample command file; get the source and doc
    > packages for the library, documentation and other tools."http://www.exiv2.org/download.html
    >
    > So maybe someone can compile it.

    I'm confused. What needs to be compiled exactly? Are there any
    directions? I'm not seeing any at that website. I can give it a go if
    someone can give me advice.

    > But... Phatch is designed with flexibility in mind. If someone can point me to a
    > free python library for Windows for EXIF and other metadata, I'll be happy to
    > integrate support for it in Phatch. Ideas anyone?
    >
    > Or you could write a python wrapper around the executable.
    >
    > Stani
    > --
    > Phatch -http://photobatch.stani.be
    > SPE -http://pythonide.stani.be

    Thanks,

    Mike
    Mike Driscoll, Feb 22, 2008
  18. On Feb 22, 1:41 am, Mike Driscoll <> wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 4:19 am, Stani <> wrote:
    > > Even without python-pyexiv2 Phatch features read-only EXIF support thanks to
    > > PIL. So you can name your files or write data stamps (date, aperature, velocity,
    > > ...) based on EXIF information. If you want to save EXIF and IPTC information to
    > > files you needpython-pyexiv2. From its website:
    > > "However, the library and all the tools used are cross-platform, so very little
    > > tweaking should be needed to get it to work fine on Windows or MacOS X."http://tilloy.net/dev/pyexiv2/developers.htm

    > > The exiv2 website says:
    > > "The Windows package only contains the command line utility exiv2.exe
    > > (statically linked), manpage and a sample command file; get the source and doc
    > > packages for the library, documentation and other tools."http://www.exiv2.org/download.html

    > > So maybe someone can compile it.

    > I'm confused. What needs to be compiled exactly? Are there any
    > directions? I'm not seeing any at that website. I can give it a go if
    > someone can give me advice.

    You need to compile two things:
    1. the exiv2 library
    2. the python-pyexiv2 bindings

    For the exiv2 library, you will have to dive into the project:
    The Windows executable provided here was compiled with the MinGW cross
    compiler on an Intel 32 bit machine running Debian.

    Maybe the exiv2 Yahoo! group is the right place to be. If you look
    there for Windows threads maybe some might be helpful:

    The author of python-pyexiv2 is active there as well and explains his
    project uses Scons:

    I am not an expert on compiling extensions. In fact I only know
    Python. A windows version of exiv2 and python-pyexiv2 will only exist
    if some Windows programer(s) take the initiative.

    In case you can't compile, it wouldn't be so hard to write a wrapper
    around the provided windows executable to mimic the API of python-
    pyexiv2.

    I am afraid I can't help you more.

    Stani
    SPE - Stani's Python Editor, Feb 22, 2008
  19. On Feb 21, 2:32 pm, Istvan Albert <> wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 9:58 am, "SPE- Stani'sPythonEditor"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > I'm pleased to announce the release of Phatch which is a
    > > powerful batch processor and renamer. Phatch exposes a big part of

    > This program is fantastic! Very accesible user interface and produces
    > ggreat images.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Istvan
    >
    > PS. the name Phatch is a bit hard to prononunce (easily confusable
    > with fetch), it is not easy to talk about it in a live conversation.
    > You should just call it photo-batch, in the end all the acronym saves
    > you is four letters and you lose the obvious meaning of what the tool
    > does. Anyhow, just a suggestion based on the first impressions,

    I like the name Phatch as it close to "patching photos" as well. Most
    people remember it as a contraction of PHoto bATCH, which I would not
    use as a name because it is too general and many programs are called
    like that. Phatch is also not such a polluted namespace when you
    google. There only seems to be chef cook called Phatch, of which I now
    follow his recipes through Google Alerts. That is rather amusing than
    disturbing.

    > great
    > tool, great functionality. We can surely nominate it for the bestPythonbased tool of 2008 ... so far ;-)

    Well, thanks a lot for all the compliments. Feel free to spread the
    word or to get involved:
    - by contributing back on the wiki (tutorials, review my non-native
    english, screencasts, ...)
    http://photobatch.wikidot.com
    - by translating:
    https://translations.launchpad.net/phatch/trunk/ pots/phatch
    - at the moment Phatch has no known bugs, I really wish someone could
    fine one so I can fix it:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/phatch/

    I hope a lot of people give this program a try as it only requires you
    to set up wxPython and PIL.

    Stani
    --
    http://photobatch.stani.be
    SPE - Stani's Python Editor, Feb 22, 2008
  20. SPE - Stani's Python Editor

    Steve Holden Guest

    SPE - Stani's Python Editor wrote:
    [...]
    >> great
    >> tool, great functionality. We can surely nominate it for the bestPythonbased tool of 2008 ... so far ;-)

    > Well, thanks a lot for all the compliments. Feel free to spread the
    > word or to get involved:
    > - by contributing back on the wiki (tutorials, review my non-native
    > english, screencasts, ...)
    > http://photobatch.wikidot.com
    > - by translating:
    > https://translations.launchpad.net/phatch/trunk/ pots/phatch
    > - at the moment Phatch has no known bugs, I really wish someone could
    > fine one so I can fix it:
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/phatch/

    I just reported a Windows font issue.

    > I hope a lot of people give this program a try as it only requires you
    > to set up wxPython and PIL.

    I also blogged about it

    http://holdenweb.blogspot.com/2008/02/phatch-photo-batch-processor.html

    so my reader may take a look :)

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Feb 22, 2008