[ANN] Project Name Changed to "One-Click Ruby Installer"

Curt Hibbs

We've change the name of the project from "Ruby Installer for Windows" to
the "One-Click Ruby Installer" because we are branching out more platforms
that just Windows -- a version of the One-Click installer for OS X is under
active development.

In addition, we'd like to create One-Click installers for Gnome and KDE (if
we can get someone to volunteer for the job).

Curt

Chad Fowler

We've change the name of the project from "Ruby Installer for Windows" to
the "One-Click Ruby Installer" because we are branching out more platforms
that just Windows -- a version of the One-Click installer for OS X is under
active development.

In addition, we'd like to create One-Click installers for Gnome and KDE (if
we can get someone to volunteer for the job).

Curt, thanks to you and to Andy before you (and the others who have
helped and will) for this wonderful growing project. It's a real
service to the community.

Chad

Richard Lyman

I can not believe it!!

I _love_ this community!

I'm trying to get Ruby to be used in Bioinformatics here at college,
but I can't since they need 'cross-platform' (yeah, they've gone with
Java), and the only thing 'stopping' me ( I haven't recommended it to
them) is that it's too tricky for me to get everything setup for OS
X!!

Please tell me that FOX and FXRuby will be in the installer!!

PLEASE!! :)

-Rich

Curt Hibbs

Richard said:
I can not believe it!!

I _love_ this community!

I'm trying to get Ruby to be used in Bioinformatics here at college,
but I can't since they need 'cross-platform' (yeah, they've gone with
Java), and the only thing 'stopping' me ( I haven't recommended it to
them) is that it's too tricky for me to get everything setup for OS
X!!

Please tell me that FOX and FXRuby will be in the installer!!

PLEASE!! :)

Yes, we are planning to include FXRuby.

Curt

Curt Hibbs

Chad said:
Curt, thanks to you and to Andy before you (and the others who have
helped and will) for this wonderful growing project. It's a real
service to the community.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

However, I have to give full credit for this new page in the story of the
Ruby Installer to Steve Steiner. He is the one who volunteered to do the
development work for the OS X version of the Ruby Installer.

Curt

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

I used darwinports to install Fox, FXRuby, and Freeride on OS X. Worked
like a charm. The only caveat is that the installer only works with the
darwinport version of ruby, so I had to install that, even though I had
installed ruby already. However, one nice thing about the darwinports
ruby is that it configures readline for irb for you automatically
(though I had gotten it setup for regular ruby already).

Now I just need to get DBI and mysql-ruby setup. I think that's now a
bit more complex since I installed mysql via fink.

That said, I look forward to the OSX installer. I immensely appreciate
the Windows one.

Regards,
Nick

Curt Hibbs

Nicholas said:
I used darwinports to install Fox, FXRuby, and Freeride on OS X. Worked
like a charm. The only caveat is that the installer only works with the
darwinport version of ruby, so I had to install that, even though I had
installed ruby already. However, one nice thing about the darwinports
ruby is that it configures readline for irb for you automatically
(though I had gotten it setup for regular ruby already).

Now I just need to get DBI and mysql-ruby setup. I think that's now a
bit more complex since I installed mysql via fink.

That said, I look forward to the OSX installer. I immensely appreciate
the Windows one.

Regards,
Nick

Thanks for the worsd of encouragement. We have a number of issues to work
out still, but I too am looking forward to having the One-Click Ruby
Installer available on multiple platforms!

Now if we could just get someone to volunteer to do Gnome and KDE versions
for us... ;-)

Curt