[ANN] punch-0.0.2 - i can has time tracking

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by ara howard, Mar 29, 2008.

  1. ara howard

    ara howard Guest

    NAME
    punch

    SYNOPSIS
    punch (in|out|log|clock|status|list|total|delete|dump|parse)
    [options]+

    DESCRIPTION
    i can has time tracking!

    punch is a k.i.s.s. tool for tracking the hours spent on various
    projects.
    it supports logging hours under a project name, adding notes about
    work
    done during that period, and several very simple reporting tools that
    operate over a window of time.

    run 'punch help modename' for more info.

    PARAMETERS
    --help, -h

    EXAMPLES
    . punch in projectname
    . punch in projectname 'an hour ago'
    . punch log projectname 'rewriting your java app in ruby...'
    . punch out projectname
    . punch total projectname --after 2007-12-03 --before 2007-12-07
    . punch total projectname --after 'yesterday morning' --before
    'today at noon'

    gem install punch

    a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
    better. simply reflect on that.
    h.h. the 14th dalai lama

    ara howard, Mar 29, 2008

  2. Re: punch-0.0.2 - i can has time tracking

    On Mar 29, 11:55 am, ara howard <> wrote:
    > NAME
    > punch
    >
    > SYNOPSIS
    > punch (in|out|log|clock|status|list|total|delete|dump|parse)
    > [options]+
    >
    > DESCRIPTION
    > i can has time tracking!
    >
    > punch is a k.i.s.s. tool for tracking the hours spent on various
    > projects.
    > it supports logging hours under a project name, adding notes about
    > work
    > done during that period, and several very simple reporting tools that
    > operate over a window of time.
    >
    > run 'punch help modename' for more info.
    >
    > PARAMETERS
    > --help, -h
    >
    > EXAMPLES
    > . punch in projectname
    > . punch in projectname 'an hour ago'
    > . punch log projectname 'rewriting your java app in ruby...'
    > . punch out projectname
    > . punch total projectname --after 2007-12-03 --before 2007-12-07
    > . punch total projectname --after 'yesterday morning' --before
    > 'today at noon'
    >
    > gem install punch
    >
    > a @http://codeforpeople.com/
    > --
    > we can deny everything, except that we have the possibility of being
    > better. simply reflect on that.
    > h.h. the 14th dalai lama

    I commend you on updating the gemspec to no longer require a specific
    version of attributes (boy was that a headache), but it's a shame that
    it doesn't include any mention of chronic.

    Speaking of chronic, where's a changelog?

    --
    -yossef

    Yossef Mendelssohn, Mar 30, 2008

  3. ara howard

    ara.t.howard Guest

    On Mar 29, 2008, at 9:58 PM, Yossef Mendelssohn wrote:
    > I commend you on updating the gemspec to no longer require a specific
    > version of attributes (boy was that a headache), but it's a shame that
    > it doesn't include any mention of chronic.

    hrrm - yeah that's crusty - i'll fix and release tomorrow.

    > Speaking of chronic, where's a changelog?

    none on this one - just my own personal script released into the wild.

    cheers.

    ara.t.howard, Mar 30, 2008
  4. ara howard

    Rick Bradley Guest

    On Mar 29, 11:36 pm, "ara.t.howard" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 29, 2008, at 9:58 PM, Yossef Mendelssohn wrote:
    > > Speaking of chronic, where's a changelog?

    > none on this one - just my own personal script released into the wild.

    Not trying to be a *total* dick (which is, granted a losing battle for
    me), but... seems like when release announcements are made to fairly
    mainstream usenet groups that it's no longer a personal script but
    it's software and people are going to expect the trappings (test
    suites, changelogs, etc.) :-/

    Thanks for punch nonetheless,
    Rick

    Rick Bradley, Mar 31, 2008
  5. ara howard

    ara.t.howard Guest

    On Mar 30, 2008, at 8:35 PM, Rick Bradley wrote:
    > Not trying to be a *total* dick (which is, granted a losing battle for
    > me),

    ;-) no worries, i sometimes have the same problem...

    > but... seems like when release announcements are made to fairly
    > mainstream usenet groups that it's no longer a personal script but
    > it's software and people are going to expect the trappings (test
    > suites, changelogs, etc.) :-/

    possibly. i've found though, through releasing a lot of software,
    that people rarely find useful what i think they will and find very
    useful things i'd almost call throwaway scripts. my rubyforge script
    was one such script which many people found useful. the beautify of
    open source is that the people that find it useful can either motivate
    me or do the work themselves. in the case of rubyforge ryan davis
    grabbed it and dumped a ton of effort into making a better package and
    has contributed a ton of features and bug fixes too. and, of course,
    most of what people would ask for is already there via the command-
    line and rubyforge.org's svn repo... it remains to be seen if people
    find punch useful - if they do you can expect the package to grow -
    otherwise not.

    in any case i wish more people would release small scripts they've
    written to perform useful personal tasks. there are not enough ruby
    *programs* in the world and too many libraries and frameworks if you
    ask me.

    cheers.

    ps. this is addressed generally not at you rick.

    ara.t.howard, Mar 31, 2008
  6. ara howard

    ara.t.howard Guest

    On Mar 30, 2008, at 10:56 PM, ara.t.howard wrote:
    > it remains to be seen if people find punch useful - if they do you
    > can expect the package to grow - otherwise not.

    in my mailbox this morning:

    Hi Ara,

    I just came across your punch project. I've written a tool in the same
    vein but which integrates with basecamp todo lists. What I'd like to
    do is take my code and integrate it with punch (which has a number of
    advantages I could use). Can I just send you a patch when I'm done?

    Regards,

    Saimon

    so i guess punch will survive into a real project after all ;-)

    ara.t.howard, Mar 31, 2008
  7. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 11:55 AM, ara howard <> wrote:

    > punch is a k.i.s.s. tool for tracking the hours spent on various
    > projects.
    > it supports logging hours under a project name, adding notes about work
    > done during that period, and several very simple reporting tools that
    > operate over a window of time.

    Nice project Ara! I think this will be real useful. I have yet to find a
    time tracking system that I like, but the interface you mentioned looks like
    a winner.

    One question/enhancement idea - assuming that we are working on one project
    at a time (otherwise we're double billing), can we simplify the interface so
    that once we punch in with a project name, that we can log to that project
    without having to specify the project name again.

    So basically you'd do something like

    punch in projectname
    punch log 'my log entry for that running project' # last project is assumed
    punch out # you already support this I believe

    and maybe punch in would support the last project idea, assuming that one
    will go in and out of a project many times, so if you don't specify assume
    the last project again

    punch in # assumes last project

    Seems like maybe your interface could support both ways (explicit or
    implicit project name specification) based on the number of args passed in
    or if necessary we could use an option like:

    punch in --last # punch in for last project used
    punch log --last 'entry for the same project I last used'

    Maybe if we have this default project idea for all commands then it should
    always echo out what project it is going in so you know for sure that you
    had the time going into the right bucket. I think this is true for punch out
    currently, but punch in and punch log don't currently do this.

    It would probably be nice to have an informational method like

    punch last # tells you what projectname is the default last project

    Finally, I had a little trouble with install on windoze (yeah, I wish I
    didn't have to use it either)

    I got the following errror

    C:\Documents and Settings\jbarczewski\Desktop>punch help list
    c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
    `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- chronic (LoadError)
    from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
    `require'
    from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/punch-0.0.2/bin/punch:308
    from c:/ruby/bin/punch:16

    Installing chronic with gem install chronic fixed that

    Also then hit another error

    c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/punch-0.0.2/bin/punch:313:in `expand_path':
    couldn't find HOME environment -- expanding `~' (ArgumentError)
    from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/punch-0.0.2/bin/punch:313
    from c:/ruby/bin/punch:16

    Maybe for windows you could check for USERPROFILE if HOME is not set??

    I worked around by setting HOME variable to be the value of USERPROFILE and
    things worked fine.
    USERPROFILE = c:\Documents and Settings\jbarczewski

    Thanks for all your work and for sharing this with the community!

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Barczewski, MasterView core team
    Inspired Horizons Ruby on Rails Training and Consultancy

    Jeff Barczewski, Apr 2, 2008