ANN: PyDev 0.9.8 released

Fabio Zadrozny

Hi All,

PyDev - Python IDE (Python Development Enviroment for Eclipse) version
0.9.8 has just been released.

Check the homepage (http://pydev.sourceforge.net/) for more details.

Details for Release: 0.9.8

Major highlights:
-------------------

* Jython integrated.
* Jython debugger support added.

Others that are new and noteworthy:
-------------------------------------

* jython integration supports spaces for jython.jar and java install
* jython code-completion support for new style objects (jython
2.2a1) has been enhanced.
* many templates were added
* the grammar evolved a lot, so, now you actually have decorators in
the grammar, list comprehension on method calls and tuples and the new
from xxx import (a,b,c) syntax.
* pylint supports spaces
* pylint is no longer distributed with pydev (it must be installed
in the site-packages and its location must be specified in the preferences)
* some problems regarding 'zombie processes' after eclipse exit with
the shells used for code-completion should be fixed

Special thanks
---------------

This release would not be possible without help from:

OctetString, for the financial support for making jython support possible!
Vitor Oba for debugger patches!

Cheers,

Fabio

--
Fabio Zadrozny
Software Developer

ESSS - Engineering Simulation and Scientific Software
www.esss.com.br

PyDev - Python Development Enviroment for Eclipse
pydev.sf.net
pydev.blogspot.com

Max M

Fabio said:
Hi All,

PyDev - Python IDE (Python Development Enviroment for Eclipse) version
0.9.8 has just been released.

I read this, and thought it was time to check out both Eclipse, end the
pydev plugin.

I got it all installed, along with a subversion plugin for eclipse, and
it actually seems like a very sweet combo.

I was afraid that a Java based editor would be sluggish. But it doesn't
seem so.

There are a few nice features too with a file navigator, refactoring,
code folding and more.

So I have decided to give it a try. But before commiting to it, I just
wondered what experiences other users might have when using it for
production. Being that my text editing environment is my bread and butter.

Is it stable/effective etc?

Anybody cares to share?

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science

Fabio Zadrozny

Hi Max,

I may be a little (or maybe a lot) biased for it (as I'm its
maintainer), but as I do 'eat my own dogfood', I though I might share it
with you...

At my company, everybody that programs with python switched to pydev.
Most people used 'highly customized' text-editors before pydev, as the
company does not enforce one ambient for all... still, everybody changed
to pydev, coming from vi, scintilla, komodo... and we have some really
big projects (my current ambient has about 400 python modules, all
managed in pydev). Also, there are no current bug reports for any
instability in pydev.

Well, anyway, I would like to know other opinions in pydev too... as I
said, I might bee too biased towards it :)

Cheers,

Fabio

Fabio said:
Hi Max,

I may be a little (or maybe a lot) biased for it (as I'm its
maintainer), but as I do 'eat my own dogfood', I though I might share it
with you...

Enthusiasm doesn't disqualify ;-)

At my company, everybody that programs with python switched to pydev.
Most people used 'highly customized' text-editors before pydev, as the
company does not enforce one ambient for all... still, everybody changed
to pydev, coming from vi, scintilla, komodo... and we have some really
big projects (my current ambient has about 400 python modules, all
managed in pydev). Also, there are no current bug reports for any
instability in pydev.

Ok. I am starting a new product for Plone tomorrow, that should take
about a week to finish. I will try switching cold-turkey to pydev and
see how it goes.