ANN: PyGUI 2.1

Discussion in 'Python' started by Greg Ewing, Nov 13, 2009.

  1. Greg Ewing

    Greg Ewing Guest

    PyGUI 2.1 is available:

    http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python_gui/

    Highlights of this version:

    * Win32:
    Fixed bug preventing PyGUI apps from working under pythonw
    Fixed incorrect mouse coordinates in ScrollableView
    Added more standard cursors

    * MacOSX:
    Application menu now has working Hide, Hide Others and Show All
    commands.

    Plus a few other bug fixes and improvements.

    What is PyGUI?
    --------------

    PyGUI is a cross-platform GUI toolkit designed to be lightweight
    and have a highly Pythonic API.
    Greg Ewing, Nov 13, 2009

  2. Greg Ewing

    r Guest

    OK this is my third attempt, someone please email me if these messages
    are getting through. I mailed this only to c.l.py and not the announce
    group this time, that may have been my previous problems??? Here we
    go...

    Hello Greg,

    I have looked over this kit in the past and it looks quite promising
    for meeting it stated goals (and mine). One the the best things about
    it (for me anyway) is the small size and the fact you have an OpenGL
    widget! I think all GUI kits should support OpenGL out of the box!
    This is the 21st century as we all know.

    Also these stated goals are what every GUI package should aspire to.
    (Hope you don't mind me quoting your site??)

    """
    Develop a GUI API that is designed specifically for Python, taking
    advantage of Python's unique language features and working smoothly
    with Python's data types. Provide implementations of the API for the
    three major platforms (Unix, Macintosh and Windows) that are small and
    lightweight, interposing as little code as possible between the Python
    application and the platform's underlying GUI facilities, and not
    bloating the Python installations or applications which use them.
    """

    I really like this!

    """
    Document the API purely in Python terms, so that the programmer does
    not need to read the documentation for another GUI library, in terms
    of another language, and translate into Python.
    """

    This is *so* important for any GUI. wxPython IMO lacks greatly in this
    department. I very much wish we had docs for wxPython as we do for
    Tkinter. But even Tkinter needs more details! You should never need to
    consult the TCL/TK doc's unless you are doing something really
    advanced. (or evil!)

    """
    Get the library and its documentation included in the core Python
    distribution, so that truly cross-platform GUI applications may be
    written that will run on any Python installation, anywhere.
    """

    This i also agree with! While we currently have Tkinter in Python we
    lack the real docs "in Python" for Tkinter. There are a few very good
    sites (effbot, NMT, and others) but users must bounce around from site
    to site to find all this. I want visit one place for a reference and
    one place only. Tuts can exist on the web. And by "reference" look at
    this site to see what i mean http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter/

    I actually like Tkinter (because of "ease of use") however!, having an
    embedded TCL interpretor and wrapping TK calls with Python just seems
    wrong, and Tkinter is notoriously slow (probably due to this fact) as
    we all know.

    But after looking over your pyGUI it does "seem" that Tkinter has a
    richer widget set. (i could be wrong) What are the comparisons between
    Tkinter and PyGUI. I would love to use a kit that is lighter weight
    and has better cross platform abilities (and a glWidget to boot!), but
    i can't sacrifice the widget set. Can you give us a pros and cons of
    pyGUI versus Tkinter? This will help me decide and i think many others
    would benefit also.

    Here is the main widgets of Tkinter:
    -Entry
    -Label
    -Button
    -RadioButton
    -CheckButton
    -Frame
    -LabelFrame
    -Text
    -Listbox
    -Scrollbar
    -Scale
    -Toplevel
    -Canvas (2d)
    -Menu
    -MenuButton
    -OptionMenu
    -PanedWindow
    -Spinbox

    Easy to use dialogs from:
    -tkFileDialog
    -tkSimpleDialog
    -tkMessageBox

    Thanks
    r, Nov 15, 2009

  3. Greg Ewing

    greg Guest

    r wrote:

    > I really like this!
    >
    > But after looking over your pyGUI it does "seem" that Tkinter has a
    > richer widget set.

    PyGUI is a work in progress. I plan to add more widgets,
    but it will take a while to catch up with what's available
    in Tkinter and other GUI toolkits.

    I tend to add widgets as and when I need them for something
    I'm doing. If anyone has a widget they particularly want,
    let me know and I'll try to give it priority.
    greg, Nov 17, 2009