ANN: PyGUI 2.1

Greg Ewing

PyGUI 2.1 is available:

http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python_gui/

Highlights of this version:

* Win32:
Fixed bug preventing PyGUI apps from working under pythonw
Fixed incorrect mouse coordinates in ScrollableView
Added more standard cursors

* MacOSX:
Application menu now has working Hide, Hide Others and Show All
commands.

Plus a few other bug fixes and improvements.

What is PyGUI?

OK this is my third attempt, someone please email me if these messages
are getting through. I mailed this only to c.l.py and not the announce
group this time, that may have been my previous problems??? Here we
go...

Hello Greg,

I have looked over this kit in the past and it looks quite promising
for meeting it stated goals (and mine). One the the best things about
it (for me anyway) is the small size and the fact you have an OpenGL
widget! I think all GUI kits should support OpenGL out of the box!
This is the 21st century as we all know.

Also these stated goals are what every GUI package should aspire to.
(Hope you don't mind me quoting your site??)

"""
Develop a GUI API that is designed specifically for Python, taking
advantage of Python's unique language features and working smoothly
with Python's data types. Provide implementations of the API for the
three major platforms (Unix, Macintosh and Windows) that are small and
lightweight, interposing as little code as possible between the Python
application and the platform's underlying GUI facilities, and not
bloating the Python installations or applications which use them.
"""

I really like this!

"""
Document the API purely in Python terms, so that the programmer does
not need to read the documentation for another GUI library, in terms
of another language, and translate into Python.
"""

This is *so* important for any GUI. wxPython IMO lacks greatly in this
department. I very much wish we had docs for wxPython as we do for
Tkinter. But even Tkinter needs more details! You should never need to
consult the TCL/TK doc's unless you are doing something really
advanced. (or evil!)

"""
Get the library and its documentation included in the core Python
distribution, so that truly cross-platform GUI applications may be
written that will run on any Python installation, anywhere.
"""

This i also agree with! While we currently have Tkinter in Python we
lack the real docs "in Python" for Tkinter. There are a few very good
sites (effbot, NMT, and others) but users must bounce around from site
to site to find all this. I want visit one place for a reference and
one place only. Tuts can exist on the web. And by "reference" look at
this site to see what i mean http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter/

I actually like Tkinter (because of "ease of use") however!, having an
embedded TCL interpretor and wrapping TK calls with Python just seems
wrong, and Tkinter is notoriously slow (probably due to this fact) as
we all know.

But after looking over your pyGUI it does "seem" that Tkinter has a
richer widget set. (i could be wrong) What are the comparisons between
Tkinter and PyGUI. I would love to use a kit that is lighter weight
and has better cross platform abilities (and a glWidget to boot!), but
i can't sacrifice the widget set. Can you give us a pros and cons of
pyGUI versus Tkinter? This will help me decide and i think many others
would benefit also.

Here is the main widgets of Tkinter:
-Entry
-Label
-Button
-RadioButton
-CheckButton
-Frame
-LabelFrame
-Text
-Listbox
-Scrollbar
-Scale
-Toplevel
-Canvas (2d)
-Menu
-MenuButton
-OptionMenu
-PanedWindow
-Spinbox

Easy to use dialogs from:
-tkFileDialog
-tkSimpleDialog
-tkMessageBox

Thanks

greg

r said:
I really like this!

But after looking over your pyGUI it does "seem" that Tkinter has a
richer widget set.

PyGUI is a work in progress. I plan to add more widgets,
but it will take a while to catch up with what's available
in Tkinter and other GUI toolkits.

I tend to add widgets as and when I need them for something
I'm doing. If anyone has a widget they particularly want,
let me know and I'll try to give it priority.