[ANN] pylint 0.7

Discussion in 'Python' started by Sylvain =?iso-8859-1?Q?Th=E9nault?=, May 27, 2005.

  1. Hello all !

    I'm pleased to announce a new release of PyLint. I've been promising a
    1.0 release some time ago, but it appears I've not enough time yet to
    do the polishing I wish, and since the latest (0.6.4) release has a
    few really annoying bugs (mainly related to options handling), I
    eventually decided to make this intermediate release. It mainly
    targets bug fixes but as the main pylint package has moved (it's not
    anymore a logilab'subpackage), I've made a 0.7 instead of a
    0.6.5. Some others fixes and minor enhancements are included (see
    below for a more detailed list), and this release should be really
    stable. Please send any bugs or comments on the mailing list.

    What's new ?
    ------------
    * WARNING: pylint is no longer a logilab subpackage. Users may have to
    manually remove the old logilab/pylint directory.

    * this time, real fix of the "disable-msg in the config file" problem,
    test added to unittest_lint

    * fix a bug in the variables checker which may causing some false
    positives when variables are defined and used within the same
    statement (test func_noerror_defined_and_used_on_same_line)

    * fix bug with --list-messages and python -OO

    * fix possible false positive for W0201

    * introduce a new --additional-builtins option to handle user defined
    builtins

    * --reports option has now -r as short alias, and -i for --include-ids

    What is pylint ?
    ----------------

    Pylint is a python tool that checks if a module satisfy a coding
    standard. Pylint can be seen as another pychecker since nearly all
    tests you can do with pychecker can also be done with Pylint. But
    Pylint offers some more features, like checking line-code's length,
    checking if variable names are well-formed according to your coding
    standard, or checking if declared interfaces are truly implemented,
    and much more (see http://www.logilab.org/projects/pylint/ for the
    complete check list). The big advantage with Pylint is that it is
    highly configurable, customizable, and you can easily write a small
    plugin to add a personal feature.

    The usage it quite simple :

    $ pylint mypackage.mymodule

    This command will output all the errors and warnings related to the
    tested code (here : mypackage.mymodule), will dump a little summary at
    the end, and will give a mark to the tested code.

    Pylint is free software distributed under the GNU Public Licence.

    Home page
    ---------
    http://www.logilab.org/projects/pylint

    Download
    --------
    ftp://ftp.logilab.org/pub/pylint

    Mailing list
    mailto://

    Enjoy !
    --
    Sylvain Thénault LOGILAB, Paris (France).

    http://www.logilab.com http://www.logilab.fr http://www.logilab.org

    Sylvain =?iso-8859-1?Q?Th=E9nault?=, May 27, 2005