Ann: PyPy Sprint before PYCON 2005 in Washington

Discussion in 'Python' started by Christian Tismer, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. PyPy Sprint before PYCON 2005 in Washington

    In the four days from 19th March till 22th March (inclusive)
    the PyPy team will host a sprint on their new Python-in-Python
    implementation. The PyPy project was granted funding by the
    European Union as part of its Sixth Framework Program,
    and is now on track to produce a stackless Python-in-Python
    Just-in-Time Compiler by December 2006. Our Python
    implementation, released under the MIT/BSD license, already
    provides new levels of flexibility and extensibility at the
    core interpreter and object implementation level.

    Armin Rigo and Holger Krekel will also give talks about PyPy
    and the separate py.test tool (used to perform various kinds
    of testing in PyPy) during the conference.

    Naturally, we are eager to see how the other re-implementation
    of Python, namely IronPython, is doing and to explore
    collaboration possibilities. Of course, that will depend on
    the degree of openness that Microsoft wants to employ.

    The Pycon2005 sprint is going to focus on reaching
    compatibility with CPython (currently we target version 2.3.4)
    for our PyPy version running on top of CPython. One goal of
    the sprint is to pass 60% or more of the unmodified regression
    tests of mainline CPython. It will thus be a great way to get
    to know CPython and PyPy better at the same time! Other
    possible work areas include:

    - translation to C to get a first working lower-level representation
    of the interpreter "specified in Python"

    - integrating and implementing a full parser/compiler chain
    written in Python maybe already targetting the new
    AST-branch of mainline CPython

    - fixing various remaining issues that will come up while
    trying to reach the compatibility goal

    - integrate or code pure python implementations of some Python modules
    currently written in C.

    - whatever issues you come up with! (please tell us
    before hand so we can better plan introductions etc.pp.)

    Besides core developers, Bea Düring will be present to help
    improving and document our sprint and agile development
    process.

    We are going to give tutorials about PyPy's basic concepts and
    provide help to newcomers usually by pairing them with
    experienced pypythonistas. However, we kindly ask newcomers to
    be present on the first day's morning (19th of March) of the
    sprint to be able to get everyone a smooth start into the
    sprint. So far most newcomers had few problems in getting a
    good start into our codebase. However, it is good to have the
    following preparational points in mind:

    - some experience with programming in the Python language and
    interest to dive deeper

    - subscription to pypy-dev and pypy-sprint at

    http://codespeak.net/pypy/index.cgi?lists

    - have a subversion-client, Pygame and graphviz installed on
    the machine you bring to the sprint.

    - have a look at our current documentation, especially the
    architecture and getting-started documents under

    http://codespeak.net/pypy/index.cgi?doc

    The pypy-dev and pypy-sprint lists are also the contact points
    for raising questions and suggesting and discussing sprint
    topics beforehand. We are on #pypy on irc.freenode.net most
    of the time. Please don't hesitate to contact us or introduce
    yourself and your interests!

    Logistics
    ---------

    Organizational details will be posted to pypy-sprint and are
    or will be available in the Pycon2005-Sprint wiki here:

    http://www.python.org/moin/PyConDC2005/Sprints

    Registration
    ------------

    send mail to , stating the days
    you can be present and any specific interests if applicable.

    Registered Participants
    -----------------------

    all days:

    Jacob Hallén
    Armin Rigo
    Holger Krekel
    Samuele Pedroni
    Anders Chrigström
    Bea Düring
    Christian Tismer
    Richard Emslie

    --
    Christian Tismer :^) <mailto:>
    tismerysoft GmbH : Have a break! Take a ride on Python's
    Christian Tismer, Feb 15, 2005