ANN: PyQt v4.1 Released

Discussion in 'Python' started by Phil Thompson, Nov 5, 2006.

  1. Riverbank Computing is pleased to announce the release of PyQt v4.1
    available from http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/.

    The highlights of this release include:

    - support for Qt v4.2 including QGraphicsView and related classes, the undo
    framework, widget stylesheets, and integration with GNOME (both visually and
    the event loop)
    - the addition of the QtTest module for automated GUI testing
    - the addition of the QAxContainer module for Windows for integrating ActiveX
    controls.

    PyQt is a comprehensive set of Qt bindings for the Python programming language
    and supports the same platforms as Qt (Windows, Linux and MacOS/X). Like Qt,
    PyQt is available under the GPL and a commercial license.

    See http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/Docs/PyQt4/html/classes.html for the
    class documentation.

    PyQt v4 supports Qt v4 (http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/index.html).
    PyQt v3 is still available to support earlier versions of Qt.

    PyQt v4 is implemented as a set of 10 extension modules containing
    approximately 400 classes and 6,000 functions and methods.

    QtCore
    The non-GUI infrastructure including event loops, threads, i18n, Unicode,
    signals and slots, user and application settings.

    QtGui
    A rich collection of GUI widgets.

    QtNetwork
    A set of classes to support TCP and UDP socket programming and higher
    level protocols (eg. HTTP).

    QtOpenGL
    A set of classes that allows PyOpenGL to render onto Qt widgets.

    QtSql
    A set of classes that implement SQL data models and interfaces to industry
    standard databases. Includes an implementation of SQLite.

    QtSvg
    A set of classes to render SVG files onto Qt widgets.

    QtTest
    A set of classes to automate unit testing of PyQt applications and GUIs.

    QtXML
    A set of classes that implement DOM and SAX parsers.

    QtAssistant
    A set of classes that enables the Qt Assistant online help browser to be
    integrated with an application.

    QAxContainer
    A set of classes for Windows that allows the integration of ActiveX
    controls and COM objects.

    A Windows installer is provided for the GPL version of PyQt to be used with
    the GPL version of Qt v4 (http://www.trolltech.com/download/qt/windows.html).
    It enabes a complete PyQt environment to be installed on Windows without the
    need for a C++ compiler.

    PyQt includes the pyuic utility which generates Python code to implement user
    interfaces created with Qt Designer in the same way that the uic utility
    generates C++ code. It is also able to load Designer XML files dynamically.

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Nov 5, 2006

  2. Phil Thompson

    vj Guest

    vj, Nov 5, 2006

  3. Phil Thompson

    Tool69 Guest

    Thanks Phil,
    Can you put some hints about how to build QScintilla2 on Windows please
    ?
    Tool69, Nov 5, 2006
  4. On Sunday 05 November 2006 7:19 pm, Tool69 wrote:
    > Thanks Phil,
    > Can you put some hints about how to build QScintilla2 on Windows please
    > ?

    You mean something other than the installation instructions?

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Nov 5, 2006
  5. On Sunday 05 November 2006 6:00 pm, vj wrote:
    > > Riverbank Computing is pleased to announce the release of PyQt v4.1
    > > available from http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/.

    > What's the best way to learn pyqt. Do the examples from the book GUI
    > Programming with Python: QT Edition still work? Is the material from
    > the book mostly valid or have things changed quite a bit?
    >
    > http://www.commandprompt.com/community/pyqt/

    The basics haven't changed, but Qt v4 covers many more things than Qt v2. I
    think it's still perfectly valid for the basics - but API differences
    probably mean the examples need some changes.

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Nov 5, 2006
  6. Phil Thompson

    Tool69 Guest

    Hi Phil,
    I followed the docs to build qscintilla2, all is going well with no
    errors, but when I launched the PyQt Syntax Highlighter Example,
    nothing is highlighted but the first line of text, whereas the C++
    sample works well in the demo.
    Any hints ?
    Thanks.
    Tool69, Nov 6, 2006
  7. Phil Thompson

    David Boddie Guest

    Tool69 wrote:

    > I followed the docs to build qscintilla2, all is going well with no
    > errors, but when I launched the PyQt Syntax Highlighter Example,
    > nothing is highlighted but the first line of text, whereas the C++
    > sample works well in the demo.

    Do you mean the example from the PyQt4 distribution? That uses a port
    of an old syntax highlighting example from Qt 4.0. Someone needs to
    "port" the C++ example from Qt 4.2 to PyQt4.

    The example itself doesn't actually use QScintilla2 - there used to
    be a demo from Qt that was converted to use QScintilla. Maybe that's
    been ported to PyQt as well.

    David
    David Boddie, Nov 6, 2006
  8. Phil Thompson

    Tool69 Guest

    David Boddie a écrit :

    > Do you mean the example from the PyQt4 distribution?

    Yes, that was it.

    > That uses a port of an old syntax highlighting example from Qt 4.0. Someone needs to
    > "port" the C++ example from Qt 4.2 to PyQt4.

    So, we've got no sample to use QScintilla2 ??

    Thanks,
    6TooL9
    Tool69, Nov 9, 2006
  9. Phil Thompson

    David Boddie Guest

    Tool69 wrote:

    > > That uses a port of an old syntax highlighting example from Qt 4.0. Someone

    > needs to "port" the C++ example from Qt 4.2 to PyQt4.
    >
    > So, we've got no sample to use QScintilla2 ??

    Well, this should get you started:

    import sys
    from PyQt4.QtGui import QApplication
    from PyQt4.Qsci import QsciScintilla, QsciLexerPython

    if __name__ == "__main__":
    app = QApplication(sys.argv)
    editor = QsciScintilla()
    lexer = QsciLexerPython()
    editor.setLexer(lexer)
    editor.show()
    editor.setText(open("qscintilla2_example.py").read())
    sys.exit(app.exec_())

    QScintilla provides a selection of different lexers, so you might want
    to experiment with those.

    Good luck!

    David
    David Boddie, Nov 9, 2006
  10. Phil Thompson

    Tool69 Guest

    Thanks David,
    your sample works nicely !
    Tool69, Nov 9, 2006
  11. Phil Thompson

    Tool69 Guest

    Sorry,
    I just tried with other lexers, but I'm having some errors (names not
    defined errors) with those ones :
    1.lexer = QsciLexerRuby()
    2.lexer = QsciLexerTeX()
    Are they implemented ?
    Tool69, Nov 9, 2006
  12. Phil Thompson

    Tool69 Guest

    Shame on me, I forgot to import the lexers.
    Tool69, Nov 10, 2006