ANN: Python 2.3.2 for PalmOS available

Discussion in 'Python' started by lucio.torre@gmail.com, Apr 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    Some months ago i did a port of the Python2.3.2 interpreter to PalmOS.
    I didnt port any C module or created modules for PalmOS API's. But you
    can run an interpreter and use stdin/stdout from a form.

    There is also a tool to freeze scripts and use the interpreter as a
    pseudo-shared library.

    While talking with Facundo while in a PyAr meeting (python-argentina,
    http://www.python.org/ar ) he told me that there is some interest in
    this platform.

    So, ive made an initial release that has no documentation on how to use
    it or compile it (it requires codewarrior). If there is any interest on
    this, please let me know so we can work on getting this as a real port.

    As usual, this is just a proof of concept and is ugly in many ways.
    (ie, in Palm, code segments must be less than 64K, so some files had to
    be split and rearranged ).

    If anyone want to check this out, heres the url:
    http://pyar.decode.com.ar/Members/ltorre/PythonPalm

    Regards,

    Lucio.

    , Apr 16, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > If anyone want to check this out, heres the url:
    > http://pyar.decode.com.ar/Members/ltorre/PythonPalm

    Note the links are swapped; the one that says source package points to
    the .prc file, and the one that says .prc file goes to the source package.

    There never was a good war or a bad peace.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    Erik Max Francis, Apr 16, 2005

    Fixed. Thanks.

    , Apr 16, 2005
  4. > If there is any interest on this, please let me know so we can work on
    > getting this as a real port.

    "Interest" is just a "slight" understatement... :)

    Best regards

    Wolfgang Keller

    --
    P.S.: My From-address is correct

    Wolfgang Keller, Apr 16, 2005
  5. wrote:

    > Some months ago i did a port of the Python2.3.2 interpreter to
    > PalmOS.

    Wow, this is just what I've been waiting for. Meanwhile I've tried
    to make do with Rexx for PalmOS, hehehe...

    However, MLPY doesn't seem to work on my Tungsten T3 (PalmOS 5.2.1).
    The .prc installs without any problems, and I can start the Python
    interpreter, but nothing happens if I ring in a Python expression and
    press return -- the prompt just "hangs" and never returns.

    Any ideas?

    --
    Klaus Alexander Seistrup
    Magnetic Ink, Copenhagen, Denmark

    Klaus Alexander Seistrup, Apr 16, 2005
  6. Peter Hansen Guest

    Klaus Alexander Seistrup wrote:
    > wrote:
    >>Some months ago i did a port of the Python2.3.2 interpreter to
    >>PalmOS.

    > Wow, this is just what I've been waiting for. Meanwhile I've tried
    > to make do with Rexx for PalmOS, hehehe...

    I've been making do (rather successfully so far) with
    Plua 2 (basically Lua 5.0), which I think feels a
    little closer to Python than does Rexx (but which
    doesn't come, out of the box, with quite as much
    power).

    The main benefit is that it *does* support the Palm
    OS stuff, mainly making a UI form, an event loop,
    and interfacing with databases.

    It would be wonderful if Python was equally well
    supported (yes, I know, somebody has to do the work)
    but I also suspect there's no hope of it running on
    my old 2MB Palm V the way Plua currently does! :)
    Well, it would finally be a reason to upgrade though...

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Apr 16, 2005

    Lucio,

    Just tried to install it on my sony clie PEG-S360. When I try to run
    it I get:
    Fatal Alert
    pythonrun.c, Line: 1483,
    Py_Initialize: can't init ints

    Aside from my clie being significantly under-powered, I don't know what
    else could be wrong.

    What version of the Palm OS does this support?

    Good luck with this. I could use a more up-to-date python than Pippy
    (http://pippy.sourceforge.net/) offers.

    I didn't know where else to post / email this.

    bryce

    , Apr 16, 2005
  8. Klaus Alexander Seistrup wrote:

    > However, MLPY doesn't seem to work on my Tungsten T3 (PalmOS 5.2.1).
    > The .prc installs without any problems, and I can start the Python
    > interpreter, but nothing happens if I ring in a Python expression and
    > press return -- the prompt just "hangs" and never returns.

    It worked on my Treo 650, although you quickly ran out of space in the
    input text area (if you typed too many characters it would beep and
    prevent you from typing anymore).

    It comes from inside, and that's what I consider to be soul music.
    -- Sade Adu

    Erik Max Francis, Apr 16, 2005
  9. wrote:

    > Some months ago i did a port of the Python2.3.2 interpreter to PalmOS.
    > I didnt port any C module or created modules for PalmOS API's.

    Just port ctypes. Then we'll be good to go. <wink>

    Seriously, this looks like a cool beginning.
    --
    Michael Hoffman

    Michael Hoffman, Apr 17, 2005
  10. Lucio Torre Guest

    Make sure you write the expression in the lower text-area, and then
    press the send button. This should do it.

    I did the port something like a year ago (when i didnt knew metroweks
    for Palm was discontinued) and when i tried it last week i couldnt
    figure out how to use it. Then i realized that i must use the lower
    text-area. Its was not designed for ease of use :)

    Lucio.

    Lucio Torre, Apr 18, 2005
  11. Lucio Torre Guest

    Most likely you run out of stack. The amount of memory this beast
    required for initialization was too much for most old Palms.

    Ive tried it on PalmOS simulator mainly, and on some version of OS5
    hardware.

    Lucio.

    Lucio Torre, Apr 18, 2005

    What are the potential applications of Python on PalmOS? Just curious.

    , Apr 18, 2005
  13. Peter Hansen Guest

    wrote:
    > What are the potential applications of Python on PalmOS? Just curious.

    Python is a general purpose programming language,
    as you know. Doesn't that suggest that the
    set of potential applications is pretty much all
    those which don't require the raw performance of
    C or perhaps some highly specialized feature
    available only in another language (if such a
    thing even exists)?

    Calendar tools, time tracking tools, games,
    various kinds of network clients (for the latest
    Palms), etc. I've just written a very specialized
    time tracking tool in Plua, which could easily have
    been done using Python if it had access to the
    UI elements and the file system as Plua does.

    Given that you already know what Python is all about,
    your question sounds to me like that of someone who
    doesn't even know what a Palm is good for... which
    I doubt you are, so I find the question rather puzzling.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Apr 18, 2005
  14. Fraca7 Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:40:05 -0700, wrote:

    > Hello,

    > While talking with Facundo while in a PyAr meeting (python-argentina,
    > http://www.python.org/ar ) he told me that there is some interest in
    > this platform.

    You bet there is. i almost bought a Pocket PC instead of my CliƩ TH55
    because I thought Python would be available sooner on it...

    > So, ive made an initial release that has no documentation on how to use
    > it or compile it (it requires codewarrior). If there is any interest on
    > this, please let me know so we can work on getting this as a real port.

    I'm a beginner at PalmOS programming (actually, I've read a book about it,
    and that's it) but I'd be glad to help...

    Fraca7, Apr 18, 2005
  15. Lucio Torre wrote:

    > Make sure you write the expression in the lower text-area, and
    > then press the send button. This should do it.

    Ah, that's the trick! It wasn't obvious that there were two text areas,
    and I intuitively wrote commands at the python prompt. Problem solved.

    Say, are floats implemented? Comparisons seem to work, but print'ing
    doesn't:

    #v+

    >>> 1.0 > 0.5

    True
    >>> print 1.23

    %.*g

    #v-

    Klaus Alexander Seistrup, Apr 19, 2005
  16. Lucio Torre Guest

    Klaus Alexander Seistrup wrote:
    > Lucio Torre wrote:
    >
    > Say, are floats implemented? Comparisons seem to work, but print'ing
    > doesn't:
    >
    > #v+

    > True

    > %.*g

    I think thats a problem with the printf implementation. Im using one
    that came with codewarrior and maybe it doesnt parse %.*g .. (never
    seen that format before)..

    Lucio.

    Lucio Torre, Apr 19, 2005
  17. Lucio Torre Guest

    Fraca7 wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:40:05 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > > So, ive made an initial release that has no documentation on how to

    use
    > > it or compile it (it requires codewarrior). If there is any

    interest on
    > > this, please let me know so we can work on getting this as a real

    port.

    > I'm a beginner at PalmOS programming (actually, I've read a book

    about it,
    > and that's it) but I'd be glad to help...

    Do you have any experience on PODS? The whole thing is based on
    Codewarrior and Codewarrior for palm is dead.

    Lucio.

    Lucio Torre, Apr 19, 2005
  18. RM Guest

    I get odd results when trying to use exponents. For example:

    6

    RM, Apr 19, 2005
  19. RM wrote:

    > I get odd results when trying to use exponents. For example:

    > 6

    Someone else already pointed out that ** is exponentiation. ^, on the
    other hand, bitwise exclusive or.

    One sword keeps the other in the sheath.
    -- George Herbert

    Erik Max Francis, Apr 20, 2005
  20. Fraca7 Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:03:15 -0700, Lucio Torre wrote:

    > Do you have any experience on PODS? The whole thing is based on
    > Codewarrior and Codewarrior for palm is dead.

    Nope. Actually, I'm kind of reluctant to use IDEs and it seems PODS is
    targeted towards Eclipse users; I'd rather use prc-tools since I'm used to
    the GNU development tools.

    Fraca7, Apr 21, 2005