[ANN] Rails 0.12.1: No major update without a bit of pain

David Heinemeier Hansson

There's nothing like pushing a new major update in order to find bugs
in the code when its exposed to a couple of hundred working
applications. Thankfully the fixes were almost as swift as the reports.
In any case, you'll _definitely_ want to upgrade to 0.12.1 right away.
There's a good handful of fixes for both Action Pack and Active Record
(mostly concerning the new eager loading).

Here's the dirt, so you don't have to go look it up. First for Action
Pack:

* Added xml_http_request/xhr method for simulating XMLHttpRequest in
functional tests #1151 [Sam Stephenson]. Example: xhr :post, :index
* Fixed that Ajax.Base.options.asynchronous wasn't being respected in
Ajax.Request (thanks Jon Casey)
* Fixed that :get, :post, and the others should take a flash array as
the third argument just like process #1144 [[email protected]]
* Fixed a problem with Flash.now
* Fixed stringification on all assigned hashes. The sacrifice is that
assigns[:person] won't work in testing. Instead assigns["person"] or
assigns:)person) must be used. In other words, the keys of assigns stay
strings but we've added a method-based accessor to appease the need for
symbols.
* Fixed that rendering a template would require a connection to the
database #1146

Then for Active Record:

* Fixed frivilous database queries being triggered with eager loading
on empty associations and other things
* Fixed order of loading in eager associations
* Fixed stray comma when using eager loading and ordering together from
has_many associations #1143

Updating, as always, couldn't be easier than gem install rails
--include-dependencies

Edgardo Hames

There's nothing like pushing a new major update in order to find bugs
in the code when its exposed to a couple of hundred working
applications. Thankfully the fixes were almost as swift as the reports.
In any case, you'll _definitely_ want to upgrade to 0.12.1 right away.
There's a good handful of fixes for both Action Pack and Active Record
(mostly concerning the new eager loading).

I will be writing a small web app this weekend, I wondered if there is
any updated documentation on how to use Rails 0.12.1 or should I stick
to the tutorials on http://documentation.rubyonrails.com.

TIA,
Ed