[ANN] Rails 0.6.0 as GEM: Celebrating 1,000 downloads!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by David Heinemeier Hansson, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. I'm really on vacation, but through my 2kb/sec GPRS connection from the
    mobile phone, I spotted that an amazing milestone has been reached for
    Rails. In the first two weeks since release, Rails has been downloaded
    more than 1,000 times (the RubyForge DL count + 35 due to a reset).

    I'm extremely pleased with its sweeping uptake and with all the lavish
    praise it has gathered already. Just this morning, I received the
    following email from Gleb Arshinov:

    I write systems code (C++, database kernels, app servers, http
    proxies, etc.) for a living, so web development is not usually my
    cup
    of tea... I've been helping a friend to get a custom CRM system for
    their office. I wrote up an MRD and was looking to offshore the
    development. Then Rails came along, and now I am writing it myself
    :) It's too much fun, and I think I can get it going in less time
    that it would take me to manage somebody else's work. That's
    considering that I don't know Ruby. I mean, I have a pilot running
    and I still don't know Ruby -- I barely had to write any code :)

    So, cudos!

    That certainly made my morning!

    Anyway, as a thank-you-all note from the lovely island of Bornholm,
    I've completed the GEM for Rails. It's a tiny little thing as it's
    basically just dependencies. I had Chad Fowler test it out (my
    connection here isn't really to triggering a dependency download
    swirl). Here's what he got:

    Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ gem query -rn rails

    *** REMOTE GEMS ***

    rails (0.6.0)
    Web-application framework with template engine, control-flow layer,
    and ORM.
    Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ sudo gem install -r rails
    Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
    Install required dependency activerecord? [Yn] y
    Install required dependency actionpack? [Yn] y
    Successfully installed rails, version 0.6.0

    Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ mkdir -p ~/code/ruby/
    Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ rails ~/code/ruby/weblog
    (in /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-0.6.0)
    rm -rf /Users/chadfowler/code/ruby/weblog
    mkdir /Users/chadfowler/code/ruby/weblog
    mkdir /Users/chadfowler/code/ruby/weblog/app
    mkdir /Users/chadfowler/code/ruby/weblog/config
    mkdir /Users/chadfowler/code/ruby/weblog/config/environments
    mkdir /Users/chadfowler/code/ruby/weblog/db
    ....etc.
    Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ cd ~/code/ruby/weblog
    Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ scp -r
    :/path/to/my/rails/app .
    Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ vi config/database.yml
    Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ ruby
    public/dispatch.servlet &
    Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ open
    http://localhost:3000/contacts/

    SUCCESS! :) It's ready to release/announce. Of course, it's already
    in the gem repository. THANK YOU for bringing such wonderful stuff to
    the world of gems.

    So fire up RubyGems and get Rails! I'll be back from vacation in a week
    for even activity.
    --
    David Heinemeier Hansson,
    http://www.rubyonrails.org/ -- Web-application framework for Ruby