[ANN] Rails 0.6.0 as GEM: Celebrating 1,000 downloads!

David Heinemeier Hansson

I'm really on vacation, but through my 2kb/sec GPRS connection from the
mobile phone, I spotted that an amazing milestone has been reached for
Rails. In the first two weeks since release, Rails has been downloaded
more than 1,000 times (the RubyForge DL count + 35 due to a reset).

I'm extremely pleased with its sweeping uptake and with all the lavish
praise it has gathered already. Just this morning, I received the
following email from Gleb Arshinov:

I write systems code (C++, database kernels, app servers, http
proxies, etc.) for a living, so web development is not usually my
cup
of tea... I've been helping a friend to get a custom CRM system for
their office. I wrote up an MRD and was looking to offshore the
development. Then Rails came along, and now I am writing it myself
:) It's too much fun, and I think I can get it going in less time
that it would take me to manage somebody else's work. That's
considering that I don't know Ruby. I mean, I have a pilot running
and I still don't know Ruby -- I barely had to write any code :)

So, cudos!

That certainly made my morning!

Anyway, as a thank-you-all note from the lovely island of Bornholm,
I've completed the GEM for Rails. It's a tiny little thing as it's
basically just dependencies. I had Chad Fowler test it out (my
connection here isn't really to triggering a dependency download
swirl). Here's what he got:

Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ gem query -rn rails

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

rails (0.6.0)
Web-application framework with template engine, control-flow layer,
and ORM.
Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ sudo gem install -r rails
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Install required dependency activerecord? [Yn] y
Install required dependency actionpack? [Yn] y
Successfully installed rails, version 0.6.0

Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ mkdir -p ~/code/ruby/
Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ rails ~/code/ruby/weblog
(in /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-0.6.0)
rm -rf /Users/chadfowler/code/ruby/weblog
mkdir /Users/chadfowler/code/ruby/weblog
mkdir /Users/chadfowler/code/ruby/weblog/app
mkdir /Users/chadfowler/code/ruby/weblog/config
mkdir /Users/chadfowler/code/ruby/weblog/config/environments
mkdir /Users/chadfowler/code/ruby/weblog/db
....etc.
Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ cd ~/code/ruby/weblog
Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ scp -r
(e-mail address removed):/path/to/my/rails/app .
Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ vi config/database.yml
Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ ruby
public/dispatch.servlet &
Chad-Fowlers-Computer:~/Desktop chadfowler$ open
http://localhost:3000/contacts/

SUCCESS! :) It's ready to release/announce. Of course, it's already
in the gem repository. THANK YOU for bringing such wonderful stuff to
the world of gems.

So fire up RubyGems and get Rails! I'll be back from vacation in a week
for even activity.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.rubyonrails.org/ -- Web-application framework for Ruby