[ANN] Rainbows! 0.93.0 - MOAR!!!1

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Eric Wong, May 29, 2010.

  1. Eric Wong

    Eric Wong Guest

    Rainbows! is an HTTP server for sleepy Rack applications. It is based on
    Unicorn, but designed to handle applications that expect long
    request/response times and/or slow clients. For Rack applications not
    heavily bound by slow external network dependencies, consider Unicorn
    instead as it simpler and easier to debug.

    Of course, if you find Unicorn too mainstream these days, then give
    Rainbows! a try! It's the bestest web server (EVAR) with a bang in its
    name!

    * http://rainbows.rubyforge.org/
    *
    * git://git.bogomips.org/rainbows.git

    Changes:

    In our race to have more concurrency options than real sites
    using this server, we've added two new and fully supported
    concurrency models: WriterThreadSpawn and WriterThreadPool

    They're both designed for serving large static files and work
    best with IO.copy_stream (sendfile!) under Ruby 1.9. They may
    also be used to dynamically generate long running, streaming
    nginx).

    Unlike most concurrency options in Rainbows!, these are designed
    to run behind nginx (or haproxy if you don't support POST/PUT
    requests) and are vulnerable to slow client denial of service
    attacks.

    I floated the idea of doing something along these lines back in
    the early days of Unicorn, but deemed it too dangerous for some
    applications. But nothing is too dangerous for Rainbows! So
    here they are now for your experimentation.

    --
    Eric Wong

    Eric Wong, May 29, 2010