[ANN] rcodetools 0.4.1 (TDD++, automagic assertions, accurate completion, doc/code browsing...)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Mauricio Fernandez, Jan 13, 2007.

  1. rcodetools is a collection of Ruby code manipulation tools. It includes
    xmpfilter and editor-independent Ruby development helper tools, as well as
    emacs and vim interfaces.

    Currently, rcodetools comprises:
    * xmpfilter: automagic Test::Unit assertions/RSpec expectations and code
    annotations
    * rct-complete: 100% accurate (editor-independent) code completion
    * rct-doc: document browsing and code navigator
    * rct-meth-args: precise method info (meta-programming aware) and TAGS
    generation

    rcodetools includes and supersedes xmpfilter, which has been much improved and
    extended by rubikitch, ultimately resulting in the rct-* tools, which are
    almost entirely his work.

    See http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcodetools for further information.

    What's new
    ==========
    0.4.1 is a maintenance release. Several bugs have been fixed, and rcodetools
    should work better under win32.
    The only new feature is the -I option in rct-meth-args.

    Download
    ========
    rcodetools can be installed with RubyGems:

    gem install rcodetools

    If you try this shortly after a release and you get an old version/a 404
    error, please allow some time until the packages propagate to RubyForge's
    mirrors.

    rcodetools is available in tarball format. rcodetools' executables will run
    faster when installed this way, since RubyGems add a noticeable overhead.

    Usage
    =====
    rcodetools can be used with any editor, but the distribution includes emacs
    and vim interfaces (contributions for other editors are welcome); see
    README.emacs and README.vim in the sources for more information.

    Further usage info will be available at
    http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcodetools

    License
    =======
    Copyright (c) 2006 rubikitch <>
    http://www.rubyist.net/~rubikitch/
    Copyright (c) 2005-2006 Mauricio Fernandez <>
    http://eigenclass.org

    Use and distribution subject to the terms of the Ruby license.

    --
    Mauricio Fernandez - http://eigenclass.org - singular Ruby
    Mauricio Fernandez, Jan 13, 2007

  2. Re: rcodetools 0.4.1 (TDD++, automagic assertions, accurate completion, doc/code browsing...)

    On Jan 13, 11:03 pm, Mauricio Fernandez <> wrote:

    > rcodetools is a collection of Ruby code manipulation tools. It includes
    > xmpfilter and editor-independent Ruby development helper tools, as well as
    > emacs and vim interfaces. [...]

    Very nice idea.

    A nice addition would be a file that collects the best IRB enhancements
    around -- or takes their ideas (history dumping etc.) and implements
    them in a well-integrated whole.

    I'd also like to see a program for indenting Ruby code :)

    Cheers,
    Gavin
    Gavin Sinclair, Jan 14, 2007

  3. Re: rcodetools 0.4.1 (TDD++, automagic assertions, accuratecompletion, doc/code browsing...)

    On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 17:05 +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

    > I'd also like to see a program for indenting Ruby code :)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gavin

    Somebody started a rubytidy (a'la perltidy), but it appears stagnant -
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubytidy/
    Benjamin Ritcey, Jan 14, 2007