[ANN] rcodetools 0.5.0 (TDD++, automagic assertions, 100% accurate completion, doc/code browsing...)

Mauricio Fernandez

rcodetools is a collection of Ruby code manipulation tools. It includes
xmpfilter and editor-independent Ruby development helper tools, as well as
emacs and vim interfaces.

Currently, rcodetools comprises:
* xmpfilter: automagic Test::Unit assertions/RSpec expectations and code
annotations
* rct-complete: 100% accurate (editor-independent) code completion
* rct-doc: document browsing and code navigator
* rct-meth-args: precise method info (meta-programming aware) and TAGS
generation

rcodetools includes and supersedes xmpfilter, which has been much improved and
extended by rubikitch, ultimately resulting in the rct-* tools, which are
almost entirely his work.

See http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcodetools for further information.

What's new
==========
* --dev: adds project directories to $:
* --completion-class-info: list completion candidates and class info
* display completion candidates with description, both in emacs
and vim (using the menu+preview window).

See the screenshots/screencasts at
http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcodetools-screenshots

Download
========
rcodetools can be installed with RubyGems:

gem install rcodetools

If you try this shortly after a release and you get an old version/a 404
error, please allow some time until the packages propagate to RubyForge's
mirrors.

rcodetools is available in tarball format. rcodetools' executables will run
faster when installed this way, since RubyGems add a noticeable overhead.

Usage
=====
rcodetools can be used with any editor, but the distribution includes emacs
and vim interfaces (contributions for other editors are welcome); see
README.emacs and README.vim in the sources for more information.

Further usage info available at
http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcodetools

License
=======
Copyright (c) 2006-2007 rubikitch <[email protected]>
http://www.rubyist.net/~rubikitch/
Copyright (c) 2005-2007 Mauricio Fernandez <[email protected]>
http://eigenclass.org

Use and distribution subject to the terms of the Ruby license.

fabian.erbach

Hello,

thanks for the new release, it's great to have real auto-complete.

rct-complete works fine with vim for me, but I can't get rct-doc to
work with vim.

In the video at http://www.eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcodetools-0.5.0 it
seems that you can get a list of all possible completions and if you
navigate over the candidates it shows you the doc information. Could
you please show me your vimrc settings that enables that feature (if
it's supposed to work like that)?

With best regards,

Fabian

Mauricio Fernandez

thanks for the new release, it's great to have real auto-complete.

rct-complete works fine with vim for me, but I can't get rct-doc to
work with vim.

In the video at http://www.eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcodetools-0.5.0 it
seems that you can get a list of all possible completions and if you
navigate over the candidates it shows you the doc information. Could
you please show me your vimrc settings that enables that feature (if
it's supposed to work like that)?

Yes, that's the way it's meant to work :)
Completion candidates will be shown if you

set completeopt=menu,preview

The extra information shown in the preview window can be enabled with
let g:rct_completion_use_fri = 1 " 0 by default (disabled)

The above will make rcodetools.vim use FastRI's fri to obtain the RI
information for the completion candidates. In this case, installing FastRI
from the tarball is a good idea, since the startup time is about ~10 times
slower when you install with RubyGems...

README.vim details how to disable the preview window when the candidate list
is too long.

HTH,

fabian.erbach

Hello Mauricio,

thanks for your reply. The completion works fine for me but I can't
get help integration to work. There is neither a preview window nor
help integration in the list of completion candiates like in your
video (I tried your tips of course).

Do you have any ideas what else to try? My setup is gvim under winxp.

Regards,

Fabian

P. S.: My first post was dropped by google groups...

Mauricio Fernandez

Hello Mauricio,

thanks for your reply. The completion works fine for me but I can't
get help integration to work. There is neither a preview window nor
help integration in the list of completion candiates like in your
video (I tried your tips of course).

Do you have any ideas what else to try? My setup is gvim under winxp.

Is FastRI working OK for you otherwise?
rcodetools.vim uses fri to obtain the completion candidate info; if fri
failed, both the preview window and the extra info in the menu would be
missing.

Also, if you installed FastRI from the tarball (as recommended, since it will
make lookups much faster than using RubyGems) you might have to create some
bat or .cmd wrapper (similar to those created at install time by RubyGems).
The next FastRI release will use a pre-install hook to generate them when
installing on win32.