[ANN] rcodetools 0.5.0 (TDD++, automagic assertions, 100% accurate completion, doc/code browsing...)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Mauricio Fernandez, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. rcodetools is a collection of Ruby code manipulation tools. It includes
    xmpfilter and editor-independent Ruby development helper tools, as well as
    emacs and vim interfaces.

    Currently, rcodetools comprises:
    * xmpfilter: automagic Test::Unit assertions/RSpec expectations and code
    annotations
    * rct-complete: 100% accurate (editor-independent) code completion
    * rct-doc: document browsing and code navigator
    * rct-meth-args: precise method info (meta-programming aware) and TAGS
    generation

    rcodetools includes and supersedes xmpfilter, which has been much improved and
    extended by rubikitch, ultimately resulting in the rct-* tools, which are
    almost entirely his work.

    See http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcodetools for further information.

    What's new
    ==========
    * --dev: adds project directories to $:
    * --completion-class-info: list completion candidates and class info
    * display completion candidates with description, both in emacs
    and vim (using the menu+preview window).

    See the screenshots/screencasts at
    http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcodetools-screenshots

    Download
    ========
    rcodetools can be installed with RubyGems:

    gem install rcodetools

    If you try this shortly after a release and you get an old version/a 404
    error, please allow some time until the packages propagate to RubyForge's
    mirrors.

    rcodetools is available in tarball format. rcodetools' executables will run
    faster when installed this way, since RubyGems add a noticeable overhead.

    Usage
    =====
    rcodetools can be used with any editor, but the distribution includes emacs
    and vim interfaces (contributions for other editors are welcome); see
    README.emacs and README.vim in the sources for more information.

    Further usage info available at
    http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcodetools

    License
    =======
    Copyright (c) 2006-2007 rubikitch <>
    http://www.rubyist.net/~rubikitch/
    Copyright (c) 2005-2007 Mauricio Fernandez <>
    http://eigenclass.org

    Use and distribution subject to the terms of the Ruby license.

    --
    Mauricio Fernandez (on behalf of the "rcodetools devel team")

    Mauricio Fernandez, Jan 28, 2007

  2. Mauricio Fernandez

    Guest

    Re: rcodetools 0.5.0 (TDD++, automagic assertions, 100% accurate completion, doc/code browsing...)

    Hello,

    thanks for the new release, it's great to have real auto-complete.

    rct-complete works fine with vim for me, but I can't get rct-doc to
    work with vim.

    In the video at http://www.eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcodetools-0.5.0 it
    seems that you can get a list of all possible completions and if you
    navigate over the candidates it shows you the doc information. Could
    you please show me your vimrc settings that enables that feature (if
    it's supposed to work like that)?

    With best regards,

    Fabian

    , Feb 3, 2007

  3. Re: rcodetools 0.5.0 (TDD++, automagic assertions, 100% accurate completion, doc/code browsing...)

    On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 01:55:05AM +0900, wrote:
    > thanks for the new release, it's great to have real auto-complete.
    >
    > rct-complete works fine with vim for me, but I can't get rct-doc to
    > work with vim.
    >
    > In the video at http://www.eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?rcodetools-0.5.0 it
    > seems that you can get a list of all possible completions and if you
    > navigate over the candidates it shows you the doc information. Could
    > you please show me your vimrc settings that enables that feature (if
    > it's supposed to work like that)?

    Yes, that's the way it's meant to work :)
    Completion candidates will be shown if you

    set completeopt=menu,preview

    The extra information shown in the preview window can be enabled with
    let g:rct_completion_use_fri = 1 " 0 by default (disabled)

    The above will make rcodetools.vim use FastRI's fri to obtain the RI
    information for the completion candidates. In this case, installing FastRI
    from the tarball is a good idea, since the startup time is about ~10 times
    slower when you install with RubyGems...

    README.vim details how to disable the preview window when the candidate list
    is too long.

    HTH,
    --
    Mauricio Fernandez - http://eigenclass.org - singular Ruby

    Mauricio Fernandez, Feb 3, 2007
  4. Mauricio Fernandez

    Guest

    Re: rcodetools 0.5.0 (TDD++, automagic assertions, 100% accurate completion, doc/code browsing...)

    Hello Mauricio,

    thanks for your reply. The completion works fine for me but I can't
    get help integration to work. There is neither a preview window nor
    help integration in the list of completion candiates like in your
    video (I tried your tips of course).

    Do you have any ideas what else to try? My setup is gvim under winxp.

    Regards,

    Fabian

    P. S.: My first post was dropped by google groups...

    , Feb 5, 2007
  5. Re: rcodetools 0.5.0 (TDD++, automagic assertions, 100% accurate completion, doc/code browsing...)

    On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 04:20:09AM +0900, wrote:
    > Hello Mauricio,
    >
    > thanks for your reply. The completion works fine for me but I can't
    > get help integration to work. There is neither a preview window nor
    > help integration in the list of completion candiates like in your
    > video (I tried your tips of course).
    >
    > Do you have any ideas what else to try? My setup is gvim under winxp.

    Is FastRI working OK for you otherwise?
    rcodetools.vim uses fri to obtain the completion candidate info; if fri
    failed, both the preview window and the extra info in the menu would be
    missing.

    Also, if you installed FastRI from the tarball (as recommended, since it will
    make lookups much faster than using RubyGems) you might have to create some
    bat or .cmd wrapper (similar to those created at install time by RubyGems).
    The next FastRI release will use a pre-install hook to generate them when
    installing on win32.

    --
    Mauricio Fernandez - http://eigenclass.org - singular Ruby

    Mauricio Fernandez, Feb 8, 2007