[ANN] RDT 0.4.1

Chris Williams

The Ruby Development Tools Plugin for Eclipse v0.4.1 has been released.

Download:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50233&package_id=4
3880&release_id=237095

Documentation: http://213.203.244.123/rdt/doc/html/index.html

New Since 0.4.0:
- Outline refresh and marker creation (via a parse) are re-generated
after a 500 ms idle period in the Ruby Editor. This speeds the
performance of the editor considerably (Think "Woah! That's fast" -
Sorry for our earlier hack of reparsing on each refresh!)
- Option to use spaces instead of tabs ("inline", not just after
formatting)
- Configurable indent level for formatting action
- Configurable filtering in the Ruby Resources View (only Ruby files, or
all files)
- Link to Editor option in the Ruby Resources View
- .gem, .gemspec, .cgi, .rhtml, rakefile and .rbw files are all now
recognized as "Ruby" files (shown in the Ruby Resources View and
editable)
- Larger set of syntax warnings and ability to toggle their creation
(since it is still currently experimental and creates some "false
positive" warnings)
- Syntax Highlighting color defaults now match the Java editor (no more
pink comments!)
- A number of bugfixes

Major Features:
- Works with Eclipse 3.0
- Ruby Debugger (currently works with Ruby 1.6.8 - see the documentation
or wiki for more information on different versions)
- Ruby Resources View
- Link to editor
- Ability to toggle filtering to only "ruby" files
- Ruby Editor with:
- Ruby Outline View
- Code Completion (current script's elements and keywords)
- Syntax Highlighting (with configurable colors)
- Syntax Validation (Warnings and errors) toggle
- Visual diff of current file with latest revision on disk or in CVS
- Ruby Project Wizard

For a more full description of what's new in this version please refer
to: http://213.203.244.123/wiki/wiki.phtml?title=Release_Plan

The Project Wiki is up at:
http://213.203.244.123/wiki/wiki.phtml?title=Main_Page

Please if you use Eclipse, take a look at this project - we're working
towards bringing the power of the JDT to Ruby. Dynamic languages like
Ruby and Python need more dynamic tools for support and to help spread
word!

Markus has done a tremendous job with this release - you have him alone
to thank for the large majority of the new content in it. As always we
encourage bug reports and feature requests so we can get a handle on
what everyone needs and wants in their ruby editor!

Chris Morris

Lyle said:
I've recently started a new job in a Java shop and so I've just
started using Eclipse as well. I'm currently using the 2.1 maintenance
release but was thinking about upgrading to the latest 3.0 milestone
build. Do any of you regular users of Eclipse have an opinion about
how stable the 3.0 series is at this point? Should I just wait for the
final release at the end of June?

I've been using 3.0 M7 and 3.0 M8 for some time now, and haven't had any
problems. Occasionally, it seems the first time I do a search on some
Java member, it comes up with nothing, then if I immediately retry it,
it finds the hits I was expecting. I haven't played around with it to
see anything more specific. But the calling/called methods hierarchy
stuffs are awesome, worth the trip to 3.0, IMO.

I was not a 2.1 user for very long, so I don't know if there was
anything in 2.1 that substantially changed.