[ANN] Red: The Ruby Journal, a professional periodical for Ruby developers

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by ruby.journal@mac.com, Nov 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am pleased to pre-announce the launch of a new, professional
    periodical focused exclusively on Ruby.

    The journal, tentatively titled "Red," will be published monthly and
    will be distributed internationally as a stylish, high-quality, 60-
    page PDF. Each month, Red will focus on boosting the skills and
    productivity of all Ruby programmers -- from novices to gurus --
    providing pragmatic, practical, insightful, hands-on, and diverse
    advice and expertise.

    Contributors will be paid for material accepted and published in the
    journal. Like other journals, all material will be vetted by peers
    and experts prior to publication.

    Feature-length stories (4,000 words) earn $500.00.

    Column-length stories (2,500 words) earn $350.

    In addition to three features each month, Red will also include five-
    six regular monthly columns that appear in every issue, news, updates
    on software releases, community happenings, user group meetings, op-
    ed, and reviews and examples of Ruby packages.

    Red will also include a "Marketplace" section where ISPs, developers,
    designers, and organizations can advertise jobs, services, skills,
    conferences, books, training, and products.

    The advertising rate is $2,000 per page. Half-page, quarter-page,
    third-page and one-eighth-page ads are available at a pro-rated fee.
    Classified ads of 100 words or less are $50.00.

    Annual subscriptions to Red will be $60.

    If you're interested in...

    ... Subscribing

    ... Becoming a regular columnist

    ... Writing feature- or column-length stories

    ... Submitting your work for consideration

    ... Providing guidance and ideas for stories and coverage

    ... Advertising, or

    ... Just want more information

    ... please send email to to receive updates,
    schedules, writer guidelines, and news as the editorial plan, web
    site, and design of the journal take shape.

    I look forward to your questions, ideas, readership, and
    participation in furthering the gem called Ruby.

    M. Samuel "Flywheel" Streicher

    Flywheel, Gadget, and Sprocket Media

    Email:

    AIM: samuelflywheel

    , Nov 9, 2005

  2. Bill Guindon Guest

    On 11/9/05, <> wrote:
    > I am pleased to pre-announce the launch of a new, professional
    > periodical focused exclusively on Ruby.
    >
    > The journal, tentatively titled "Red," will be published monthly and
    > will be distributed internationally as a stylish, high-quality, 60-
    > page PDF. Each month, Red will focus on boosting the skills and
    > productivity of all Ruby programmers -- from novices to gurus --
    > providing pragmatic, practical, insightful, hands-on, and diverse
    > advice and expertise.
    >
    > Contributors will be paid for material accepted and published in the
    > journal. Like other journals, all material will be vetted by peers
    > and experts prior to publication.
    >
    > Feature-length stories (4,000 words) earn $500.00.
    >
    > Column-length stories (2,500 words) earn $350.
    >
    > In addition to three features each month, Red will also include five-
    > six regular monthly columns that appear in every issue, news, updates
    > on software releases, community happenings, user group meetings, op-
    > ed, and reviews and examples of Ruby packages.
    >
    > Red will also include a "Marketplace" section where ISPs, developers,
    > designers, and organizations can advertise jobs, services, skills,
    > conferences, books, training, and products.
    >
    > The advertising rate is $2,000 per page. Half-page, quarter-page,
    > third-page and one-eighth-page ads are available at a pro-rated fee.
    > Classified ads of 100 words or less are $50.00.
    >
    > Annual subscriptions to Red will be $60.
    >

    > If you're interested in...
    >
    > ... Subscribing
    >
    > ... Becoming a regular columnist
    >
    > ... Writing feature- or column-length stories
    >
    > ... Submitting your work for consideration
    >
    > ... Providing guidance and ideas for stories and coverage
    >
    > ... Advertising, or
    >
    > ... Just want more information
    >
    > ... please send email to to receive updates,
    > schedules, writer guidelines, and news as the editorial plan, web
    > site, and design of the journal take shape.
    >

    > I look forward to your questions, ideas, readership, and
    > participation in furthering the gem called Ruby.

    Ok, 10 points for the most ambitious 1st post I've ever seen on any
    mailing list (could explain the lack of replies).

    Couple thoughts...

    It needs a better name, but that's just me. Of course, if you ask for
    suggestions, I'm sure you'll get some killer ideas.

    There are a couple of regular posts that deserve recognition. I'd
    love to hear that some/all of them are already in the plan, but if
    they're not, they deserve to be considered (in no particular order):

    Tim Sutherland has done an incredible job with his 'Ruby Weekly News',
    and I've long thought that he should expand it a bit, and make it a
    magazine.

    James Edward Gray II runs the 'Ruby Quiz' weekly, and that should also
    be a regular feature. There's a book coming out, but it would be
    great if his summaries ran regularly.

    Hal Fulton's been maintaining/posting the list FAQ for quite some
    time. It should also be included on a regular basis.

    I'm sure I've missed some, but those three stand out in my mind.

    --
    Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

    Bill Guindon, Nov 10, 2005

  3. On 11/10/05, Bill Guindon <> wrote:
    > On 11/9/05, <> wrote:
    > > I am pleased to pre-announce the launch of a new, professional

    Yep, and perhaps a 'letters to why?' column... you could call it=20
    "a".upto("y") :)

    Lyndon Samson, Nov 10, 2005
  4. Bill Guindon Guest

    On 11/9/05, Lyndon Samson <> wrote:
    > On 11/10/05, Bill Guindon <> wrote:
    > > On 11/9/05, <> wrote:
    > > > I am pleased to pre-announce the launch of a new, professional

    > Yep, and perhaps a 'letters to why?' column... you could call it
    > "a".upto("y") :)

    Good point, if they announced "Dear _why" in the initial post, they'd
    probably end up over-subscribed: "I'm sorry folks, there's no way we
    can produce that many PDFs in one week". Which, of course, would lead
    to a side job for Austin Ziegler.

    --
    Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

    Bill Guindon, Nov 10, 2005
  5. Jim Guest

    Re: Red: The Ruby Journal, a professional periodical for Ruby developers

    If someone submits an article and it is rejected, can the author shop
    it around to other publications, or does it become the property of
    "Red"?

    Jim, Nov 10, 2005
  6. Hal Fulton Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > If someone submits an article and it is rejected, can the author shop
    > it around to other publications, or does it become the property of
    > "Red"?

    It's fairly inconceivable that it could become their property if
    they reject it (i.e., paid nothing for it). Any periodical that tried
    that would quickly run out of authors.

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Nov 10, 2005
  7. James Britt Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > If someone submits an article and it is rejected, can the author shop
    > it around to other publications, or does it become the property of
    > "Red"?

    Of course. You own it unless you are paid for it or have some other
    binding agreement. (And you should also ask about ownership/reprint
    rights so that you can control your work even after publication. For
    example, Linux Journal, which in my experience pays more than 'Red' is
    offering, also allows the offer to reprint/resell the work 30 days, I
    think, after print publication. Ruby Code & Style offers the same
    reprint/resale rights.)

    The more typical case is when work gets submitted to a publication, but
    the author is never told what will be done with it and the piece goes
    into limbo. It's sort of rude to submit a work to multiple places at
    the same time, though no one likes to be left dangling; the best is to
    make clear up front what you expect: tell the editor that the work will
    be offered to other outlets if it is not accepted and published by some
    date or some publication & payment contract is arranged.

    You're the author. You should be in charge.

    James Britt

    http://www.30secondrule.com - Building Better Tools

    James Britt, Nov 10, 2005
  8. pat eyler Guest

    On 11/10/05, Hal Fulton <> wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    > > If someone submits an article and it is rejected, can the author shop
    > > it around to other publications, or does it become the property of
    > > "Red"?

    > It's fairly inconceivable that it could become their property if
    > they reject it (i.e., paid nothing for it). Any periodical that tried
    > that would quickly run out of authors.

    You would think so, but that's certainly how the Redhat magazine
    agreement looks on first glance. It was scary enough that I didn't
    even think about submitting anything.

    --
    thanks,
    -pate

    pat eyler, Nov 10, 2005
  9. David Brady Guest

    pat eyler wrote:

    >On 11/10/05, Hal Fulton <> wrote:
    >

    >>Any periodical that tried
    >>that would quickly run out of authors.
    >>

    >[The Redhat magazine agreement] was scary enough that I didn't
    >even think about submitting anything.

    ...QED?

    --
    David Brady

    C++ Guru. Ruby nuby. Apply salt as needed.

    David Brady, Nov 11, 2005

    Garance A Drosehn, Nov 12, 2005
  11. HAL Guest

    "Red Dawn"

    --- Garance A Drosehn <> wrote:

    > On 11/9/05, Bill Guindon <> wrote:
    > > On 11/9/05, <>

    > wrote:
    > > > I am pleased to pre-announce the launch of a new,

    > professional
    > > > periodical focused exclusively on Ruby.
    > > >
    > > > The journal, tentatively titled "Red," will be

    > published monthly and ...
    >=20
    > > It needs a better name, but that's just me. Of course,

    > if you ask for
    > > suggestions, I'm sure you'll get some killer ideas.

    >=20
    > RedJewels
    >=20
    > --
    > Garance Alistair Drosehn =3D =20
    >
    > Senior Systems Programmer or =20
    >
    > Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY;=20
    > USA
    >=20
    >=20

    =09
    __________________________________=20
    http://farechase.yahoo.com

    HAL, Nov 12, 2005
  12. Re: [ANN] Red: The Ruby Journal, a professional periodical for Rubydevelopers

    The Hunt For Red *insert current month here*

    Devin Mullins, Nov 12, 2005
  13. Jeff Wood Guest

    ------=_Part_3503_5673018.1131769114536

    The Big Red One ????

    ... nah, personally I really like "Red" ...

    j.

    --
    "Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang.org"

    Jeff Wood

    ------=_Part_3503_5673018.1131769114536--

    Jeff Wood, Nov 12, 2005
  14. HAL Guest

    "Ruby the Red-Nosed Rhetoric"
    ok, I'll stop now. :]

    =09
    =09
    __________________________________=20
    Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005=20
    http://mail.yahoo.com

    HAL, Nov 12, 2005
  15. Re: [ANN] Red: The Ruby Journal, a professional periodical for Rubydevelopers

    HAL wrote:
    > "Ruby the Red-Nosed Rhetoric"
    > ok, I'll stop now. :]

    "Thin red lines"

    You know, the ones to be crossed? :)

    Eero Saynatkari, Nov 12, 2005
  16. Re: [ANN] Red: The Ruby Journal, a professional periodical for Rubydevelopers

    Bill Guindon wrote:

    > It needs a better name, but that's just me. Of course, if you ask for
    > suggestions, I'm sure you'll get some killer ideas.

    Perl has the State of the Onion(*). How about "Red State" ;)

    (Apologies to the rest of the world for the non-portable attempt at humor.)

    --

    (*) On the subject of choosing names, Larry Wall sez:

    Some of you have heard the part about my looking for a good name for
    Perl, and scanning through /usr/dict/words for every three- and
    four-letter word with positive connotations. Though offhand, I can't
    explain how I missed seeing Ruby. So anyway, I ended up with "Pearl"
    instead. (http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/09/22/onion.html?page=3)

    Joel VanderWerf, Nov 12, 2005

    Re: Red: The Ruby Journal, a professional periodical for Ruby developers

    Jim, that is a very fair question. I'll also weigh in on the
    disposition of rights in general.

    If you submit an article and it is not accepted, then you are free to
    do whatever you want with it.

    Typically, when an (original) article is accepted in a magazine, the
    author grants first serial rights to the magazine or grants all
    rights to the magazine. The terms differ from publication to
    publication, with some being quite draconian ("It's our from now on,
    now go away") to quite liberal (as with IBM's developerWorks, which
    returns the rights to you thirty days after initial publication).

    For Red, I would like an exclusive for some amount of time, perhaps
    three months, and perennial, non-exclusive rights to re-use the
    material online, in compilations of Red, etc. After the exclusive
    period ends, you can do whatever you would like with the material,
    provided that a notice is included that states, "First published in
    Red (http://www.redsomething.com) on some date, etc."

    This allows you to write books, post it online in your blog, do
    training with it, whatever, and allows Red the freedom to propagate
    it as well. The attribution gives Red credit for commissioning the
    piece to begin with.

    I think these rules are fair, comprehend the modern day needs of
    authors to get recognition and derive extra value from their work,
    and support the business goals of Red.

    Sam

    On Nov 10, 2005, at 2:32 AM, Jim wrote:

    > If someone submits an article and it is rejected, can the author shop
    > it around to other publications, or does it become the property of
    > "Red"?

    , Nov 12, 2005
  18. pat eyler Guest

    On 11/9/05, Bill Guindon <> wrote:
    > It needs a better name, but that's just me. Of course, if you ask for
    > suggestions, I'm sure you'll get some killer ideas.

    How about 'Red Letter'? (If for no other reason that every time
    you get your copy, it will be a red letter day.)

    --
    thanks,
    -pate

    pat eyler, Nov 12, 2005
  19. pat eyler Guest

    On 11/12/05, mathew <> wrote:
    > pat eyler wrote:
    > >On 11/9/05, Bill Guindon <> wrote:
    > >>It needs a better name, but that's just me. Of course, if you ask for
    > >>suggestions, I'm sure you'll get some killer ideas.

    > > How about 'Red Letter'? (If for no other reason that every time
    > > you get your copy, it will be a red letter day.)

    > Or just "Tuesday".

    The win for Red Letter, is that not only does it denote specialness or
    goodness, in both a literary and a more general sense.

    --
    thanks,
    -pate

    pat eyler, Nov 12, 2005

    I really like "Red Letter". It has a nice twisted, compelling
    something about it.

    I'll mull it over. Any other ideas?

    Sam

    > On Nov 12, 2005, at 10:41 AM, pat eyler wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/9/05, Bill Guindon <> wrote:
    >>> It needs a better name, but that's just me. Of course, if you
    >>> ask for
    >>> suggestions, I'm sure you'll get some killer ideas.

    >> How about 'Red Letter'? (If for no other reason that every time
    >> you get your copy, it will be a red letter day.)
    >>

    >>> --
    >>> Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)
    >>>

    >> --
    >> thanks,