    them on the blog soon so we can move this project along.

    Thanks, Rubyland.

    _why

    why the lucky stiff, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Re: Redesign 2005 Blog

    why the lucky stiff wrote:
    > The vit-core team (assigned to redesign ruby-lang.org) has unveiled

    our
    > first two designs today. We're rolling these out with a new blog so

    you
    > can comment on each design and watch the RSS feed for updates.
    >
    > http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/
    >
    > Your feedback is essential to this project! If you have comments,

    post
    > them on the blog soon so we can move this project along.

    There seem to be some problems with the blog itself. When writing a
    comment, neither the "preview" button nor the "fancy stuff" link did
    anything when I clicked them. This is on Firefox 1.0.1 on Windows XP.

    However, since the mail/news gateway is supposedly not working, you
    probably won't even see this post. :-/

    Karl von Laudermann, Mar 11, 2005

  3. why the lucky stiff

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    why the lucky stiff wrote:

    > The vit-core team (assigned to redesign ruby-lang.org) has unveiled our
    > first two designs today. We're rolling these out with a new blog so you
    > can comment on each design and watch the RSS feed for updates.
    >
    > http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/
    >
    > Your feedback is essential to this project! If you have comments, post
    > them on the blog soon so we can move this project along.
    >
    > Thanks, Rubyland.
    >
    > _why

    You can either post on the blog, or you can join the discussion ML:

    http://rubyforge.org/mail/?group_id=556

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Mar 11, 2005
  4. why the lucky stiff

    Paul Duncan Guest

    --YNEMMPJXay2VNSoy

    * Curt Hibbs () wrote:
    > why the lucky stiff wrote:
    > >=20
    > > The vit-core team (assigned to redesign ruby-lang.org) has unveiled our=

    =20
    > > first two designs today. We're rolling these out with a new blog so yo=

    u=20
    > > can comment on each design and watch the RSS feed for updates.
    > >=20
    > > http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/
    > >=20
    > > Your feedback is essential to this project! If you have comments, post=

    =20
    > > them on the blog soon so we can move this project along.
    > >=20
    > > Thanks, Rubyland.
    > >=20
    > > _why

    >=20
    > You can either post on the blog, or you can join the discussion ML:
    >=20
    > http://rubyforge.org/mail/?group_id=3D556

    These look really great!

    > Curt

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --YNEMMPJXay2VNSoy

    --YNEMMPJXay2VNSoy--

    Paul Duncan, Mar 11, 2005
  5. On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:12:29PM +0900, why the lucky stiff wrote:
    > The vit-core team (assigned to redesign ruby-lang.org) has unveiled our
    > first two designs today. We're rolling these out with a new blog so you
    > can comment on each design and watch the RSS feed for updates.
    >
    > http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/
    >
    > Your feedback is essential to this project! If you have comments, post
    > them on the blog soon so we can move this project along.

    (Posted on the blog - but I thought I'd bring it up here too)

    I like the design of both layouts. But IMO this poll should really be
    about selecting the "default" template for ruby-lang.org. I don't know
    how flexible the (X)HTML is - but shouldn't it be possible to ship a
    bunch of CSS's and let the user choose which one to use?

    //Anders

    --
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Anders Engström

    Anders Engström, Mar 11, 2005
  6. Anders Engström ha scritto:

    > (Posted on the blog - but I thought I'd bring it up here too)
    >
    > I like the design of both layouts. But IMO this poll should really be
    > about selecting the "default" template for ruby-lang.org. I don't know
    > how flexible the (X)HTML is - but shouldn't it be possible to ship a
    > bunch of CSS's and let the user choose which one to use?
    >

    > //Anders

    but doing this would "avoid" one of the main reason to redesign
    ruby-lang: have a better entry point for people new to the language.

    gabriele renzi, Mar 11, 2005
  7. why the lucky stiff

    Ben Giddings Guest

    Anders Engström wrote:
    > (Posted on the blog - but I thought I'd bring it up here too)
    >
    > I like the design of both layouts. But IMO this poll should really be
    > about selecting the "default" template for ruby-lang.org. I don't know
    > how flexible the (X)HTML is - but shouldn't it be possible to ship a
    > bunch of CSS's and let the user choose which one to use?

    To make it easier for those of us working on the project, it would be
    really helpful if the comments on the two designs were put on the blog,
    and comments about the process in general, or any other Ruby site design
    things went to the vit-discuss mailing list:

    http://rubyforge.org/mail/?group_id=556

    Ben

    Ben Giddings, Mar 11, 2005
  8. Excerpts from Anders Engstr?m's mail of 11 Mar 2005 (EST):
    > I like the design of both layouts. But IMO this poll should really be
    > about selecting the "default" template for ruby-lang.org. I don't know
    > how flexible the (X)HTML is - but shouldn't it be possible to ship a
    > bunch of CSS's and let the user choose which one to use?

    Maybe this is OT, but check out http://www.csszengarden.com/ for a cool
    example of multiple CSS choices over the same HTML. I think my favorite
    is "table layout assassination!".

    --
    William <>

    William Morgan, Mar 11, 2005
  9. why the lucky stiff

    Zach Dennis Guest

    William Morgan wrote:

    > Maybe this is OT, but check out http://www.csszengarden.com/ for a cool
    > example of multiple CSS choices over the same HTML. I think my favorite
    > is "table layout assassination!".

    That is pretty sweet, thx for posting that link,

    Zach

    Zach Dennis, Mar 11, 2005
  10. On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:12:29 +0900, why the lucky stiff
    <> wrote:
    > The vit-core team (assigned to redesign ruby-lang.org) has unveiled our
    > first two designs today. We're rolling these out with a new blog so you
    > can comment on each design and watch the RSS feed for updates.
    >
    > http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/
    >
    > Your feedback is essential to this project! If you have comments, post
    > them on the blog soon so we can move this project along.

    It looks good.. its difficult to choose.

    Aredridel suggested to put a link to a mac binary on the frontpage.
    The number of mac persons that does ruby seems high.

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Strandgaard, Mar 11, 2005
  11. why the lucky stiff

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Simon Strandgaard wrote:

    > Aredridel suggested to put a link to a mac binary on the frontpage.
    > The number of mac persons that does ruby seems high.

    There should be an OSX version of the One-Click Ruby Installer fairly soon,
    so this shouldn't be a problem.

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Mar 11, 2005
  12. why the lucky stiff

    vruz Guest

    > The vit-core team (assigned to redesign ruby-lang.org) has unveiled our
    > first two designs today. We're rolling these out with a new blog so you
    > can comment on each design and watch the RSS feed for updates.
    >
    > http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/
    >
    > Your feedback is essential to this project! If you have comments, post
    > them on the blog soon so we can move this project along.

    Thanks team for your effort.

    My take on this:

    When it comes to the content, or picking what should go in the front
    page, choosing what's hot, popular or having the power of igniting a
    superb Ruby PR machine I think it should be wise to have a good read
    at Paul Graham's essay on popularity.

    Matz has been quoted several times talking about his fondness for
    LISP, and how it helped him to figure out what Ruby should be, and I
    think there's a great deal of wisdom we're inheriting from the LISP
    hackers that preceded us.

    Graham has the ability to put into simple words what would otherwise
    take me rivers of ink (or carpal syndrome) for me to write about.

    http://www.paulgraham.com/popular.html

    Especially paragraph number 9.

    And then redesign, comment, ellaborate some more, and think of what we
    REALLY want for the long term.

    cheers,
    vruz

    vruz, Mar 12, 2005
  13. why the lucky stiff

    Thursday Guest

    why the lucky stiff wrote:
    > The vit-core team (assigned to redesign ruby-lang.org) has unveiled our
    > first two designs today. We're rolling these out with a new blog so you
    > can comment on each design and watch the RSS feed for updates.
    >
    > http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/
    >
    > Your feedback is essential to this project! If you have comments, post
    > them on the blog soon so we can move this project along.
    >
    > Thanks, Rubyland.
    >
    > _why

    Holy cow, John's "Ruby Red" 3.0 is simply amazing.

    Designs by others are impressive too. Lots of talent in ruby land!

    Thursday, Mar 12, 2005
  14. why the lucky stiff wrote:
    > The vit-core team (assigned to redesign ruby-lang.org) has unveiled our
    > first two designs today. We're rolling these out with a new blog so you
    > can comment on each design and watch the RSS feed for updates.
    >
    > http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/
    >
    > Your feedback is essential to this project! If you have comments, post
    > them on the blog soon so we can move this project along.

    All design studies I saw so far at first sight look nice but at second
    sight are not so good.

    http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/images/john-rubyred-3.0.png
    shows large text using serif fonts and small text using sans-serif. If
    one uses both kinds of fonts it should be the other way round. One also
    should not use underlined and non-underlined links. Given the link
    text/other text ratio one should stick to non-underlined links.

    http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/images/michel-clean-1.1.png
    definitely is better. What I do not understand is why it reads 'Español'
    but not '日本語'. Background color is very bright. Something like the
    one on the right of
    http://redhanded.hobix.com/images/ruby-org-mockup.gif were better (not
    to use too bright background colors is a matter of accessibility, some
    people have problems with to strong contrasts).

    Just my 0.02 EUR

    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt, Mar 13, 2005
  15. On Mar 13, 2005, at 3:27 PM, Josef 'Jupp' Schugt wrote:

    > why the lucky stiff wrote:
    >> The vit-core team (assigned to redesign ruby-lang.org) has unveiled
    >> our first two designs today. We're rolling these out with a new blog
    >> so you can comment on each design and watch the RSS feed for updates.
    >> http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/
    >> Your feedback is essential to this project! If you have comments,
    >> post them on the blog soon so we can move this project along.

    > All design studies I saw so far at first sight look nice but at second
    > sight are not so good.
    >
    > http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/images/john-rubyred-3.0.png
    > shows large text using serif fonts and small text using sans-serif. If
    > one uses both kinds of fonts it should be the other way round.

    I was convinced that the conventional wisdom was that sans-serif body
    text fonts are more readable at the low DPI you get out of most
    monitors, though actually now that I spent a whole 60 seconds Googling
    I wasn't able to come up with anything substantive either way.
    Personally, I just redesigned my site, using serif fonts as body text
    ... this might be less legible to some people, but, you know, I use a
    modern OS with decent anti-aliasing, so it all looks fine to me ;)

    > One also should not use underlined and non-underlined links. Given the
    > link text/other text ratio one should stick to non-underlined links.

    Consistency is important, but I'd argue the other way: You better have
    your links underlined, otherwise you're going to leave your readers
    madly scrubbing around the page hunting for links. Life's too short.

    There are ways to tone down the visual impact of those underlines using
    CSS, if you're concerned about what all that underlining is going to
    look like.

    Francis Hwang
    http://fhwang.net/

    Francis Hwang, Mar 14, 2005
  16. why the lucky stiff

    Aredridel Guest

    > I was convinced that the conventional wisdom was that sans-serif body
    > text fonts are more readable at the low DPI you get out of most
    > monitors, though actually now that I spent a whole 60 seconds Googling
    > I wasn't able to come up with anything substantive either way.
    > Personally, I just redesigned my site, using serif fonts as body text
    > ... this might be less legible to some people, but, you know, I use a
    > modern OS with decent anti-aliasing, so it all looks fine to me ;)

    Yeah. Moreso, modern hinting (which even Windows 98 does well enough) is
    quite adequate to getting things looking good with serifs.

    > > One also should not use underlined and non-underlined links. Given the
    > > link text/other text ratio one should stick to non-underlined links.

    > Consistency is important, but I'd argue the other way: You better have
    > your links underlined, otherwise you're going to leave your readers
    > madly scrubbing around the page hunting for links. Life's too short.

    Underlines ++

    Ari

    Aredridel, Mar 14, 2005
  17. why the lucky stiff

    Guest

    >> http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/images/john-rubyred-3.0.png
    >> shows large text using serif fonts and small text using sans-serif. If
    >> one uses both kinds of fonts it should be the other way round.

    > I was convinced that the conventional wisdom was that sans-serif body
    > text fonts are more readable at the low DPI you get out of most
    > monitors, though actually now that I spent a whole 60 seconds Googling I
    > wasn't able to come up with anything substantive either way.

    Sans-serif is the better choice for screen fonts:
    http://psychology.wichita.edu/optimalweb/text.htm

    martinus

    , Mar 15, 2005
  18. why the lucky stiff

    Aredridel Guest

    > http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/images/michel-clean-1.1.png
    > definitely is better. What I do not understand is why it reads 'Español'
    > but not '日本語'. Background color is very bright. Something like the
    > one on the right of
    > http://redhanded.hobix.com/images/ruby-org-mockup.gif were better (not
    > to use too bright background colors is a matter of accessibility, some
    > people have problems with to strong contrasts).

    I think more have problems with low contrast, in my experience.

    Aredridel, Mar 15, 2005
  19. On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:46:02 +0900, Aredridel <> wrote:
    > > (not
    > > to use too bright background colors is a matter of accessibility, some
    > > people have problems with to strong contrasts).

    Almost every web site uses black on white because it gives the *most*
    contrast... if you have a problem, or know anyone with such a problem,
    suggest to them to make their monitor less bright.

    Douglas

    Douglas Livingstone, Mar 15, 2005
  20. why the lucky stiff

    vruz Guest

    > > I was convinced that the conventional wisdom was that sans-serif body
    > > text fonts are more readable at the low DPI you get out of most
    > > monitors, though actually now that I spent a whole 60 seconds Googling I
    > > wasn't able to come up with anything substantive either way.

    > Sans-serif is the better choice for screen fonts:
    > http://psychology.wichita.edu/optimalweb/text.htm

    very informative and useful link, thank you

    vruz, Mar 15, 2005