[ANN] rem 0.0.7 released.

yyuu

Hi,

I've just released "rem" version 0.0.7.

- http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/rem/0.0.7

Rem is an implementation of the Ruby debugger which made
from pure Ruby code like "debug.rb". The design of rem is
based on MVC architecture. You can extend rem's interface
with your favorite GUI toolkit.

features:
- Command-line debugger like `debug.rb'
- Support remote debugging using dRuby (like `yard')

You can download rem from URL:
- http://www.mind.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp/~yyuu/src/rem-0.0.7.tar.gz

Have fun.

Mauricio Fernández

I've just released "rem" version 0.0.7. [...]
Rem is an implementation of the Ruby debugger which made
from pure Ruby code like "debug.rb". The design of rem is
based on MVC architecture. You can extend rem's interface
with your favorite GUI toolkit.

features:
- Command-line debugger like `debug.rb'
- Support remote debugging using dRuby (like `yard')

Looks very interesting... a couple questions:
* it's based on set_trace_func + SCRIPT_LINES__, right?
* how big is the slowdown when debugging?

yyuu

Hi,
I'm grad that you interested in rem :)
Looks very interesting... a couple questions:
* it's based on set_trace_func + SCRIPT_LINES__, right?
* how big is the slowdown when debugging?

Yes,
Rem is based on set_trace_func and SCRIPT_LINES__.

Rem is very slow, maybe more slower than debug.rb.
I use time command (on zsh) to check how slow rem is.

% cat hello.rb

printf("hello, world\n");

% time echo "cont" | ruby -rdebug hello.rb
echo "cont" 0.00s user 0.01s system 167% cpu 0.006 total
ruby -rdebug hello.rb 0.13s user 0.01s system 101% cpu 0.138 total

% time echo "cont" | rem hello.rb
echo "cont" 0.00s user 0.01s system 61% cpu 0.016 total
rem hello.rb 0.43s user 0.05s system 102% cpu 0.470 total