  1. Danny Yoo

    Danny Yoo Guest

    [Copied from the original announcement on baypiggies.net]

    Thursday, June 10, 2004

    Agenda: Python's Type System
    Speaker: Bruce Eckel
    Where: Carnegie Institute of Washington, Stanford CA

    About the talk

    Bruce will be repeating his keynote from PyCon DC 2004. From the PyCon
    website:

    Many people observe that type checking is a religious discussion best
    avoided. I often agree, having started more than my share of fires in this
    area. However, there are a few issues surrounding types and type checking
    that capture the essential distinctions between programming languages.
    This understanding makes the pitfalls worth the risk, so in this talk I
    will look at various issues and arguments surrounding the concept of type,
    and in particular examine the phenomenon of 'latent typing' (often called
    'weak typing'), why the concept is powerful, and how it is expressed in
    different languages. In the process, I will attempt to clear up many of
    the issues that have arisen during attempts to describe Python's place in
    the spectrum of language features.

    For driving directions and more information, please visit the Baypiggies
    web site at:

    http://baypiggies.net/

    We hope to see you there!

    Danny Yoo, Jun 7, 2004