ANN: Reminder -- SciPy 04 is coming up

Discussion in 'Python' started by eric jones, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. eric jones

    eric jones Guest

    Hey folks,

    Just a reminder that SciPy 04 is coming up. More information is here:

    http://www.scipy.org/wikis/scipy04

    About the Conference and Keynote Speaker
    The 1st annual *SciPy Conference* will be held this year at Caltech,
    September 2-3, 2004. As some of you may know, we've experienced great
    participation in two SciPy "Workshops" (with ~70 attendees in both 2002
    and 2003) and this year we're graduating to a "conference." With the
    prestige of a conference comes the responsibility of a keynote address.
    This year, Jim Hugunin has answered the call and will be speaking to
    kickoff the meeting on Thursday September 2nd. Jim is the creator of
    Numeric Python, Jython, and co-designer of AspectJ. Jim is currently
    working on IronPython--a fast implementation of Python for .NET and Mono.

    Presenters
    -----------
    We still have room for a few more standard talks, and there is plenty of
    room for lightning talks. Because of this, we are extending the abstract
    deadline until July 23rd. Please send your abstract to
    . Travis Oliphant is organizing the presentations
    this year. (Thanks!) Once accepted, papers and/or presentation slides
    are acceptable and are due by August 20, 2004.

    Registration
    -------------
    Early registration ($100.00) has been extended to July 23rd. Follow the
    links off of the main conference site:

    http://www.scipy.org/wikis/scipy04

    After July 23rd, registration will be $150.00. Registration includes
    breakfast and lunch Thursday & Friday and a very nice dinner Thursday
    night. Please register as soon as possible as it will help us in
    planning for food, room sizes, etc.

    Sprints
    --------
    As of now, we really haven't had much of a call for coding sprints for
    the 3 days prior to SciPy 04. Below is the original announcement about
    sprints. If you would like to suggest a topic and see if others are
    interested, please send a message to the list. Otherwise, we'll forgo
    the sprints session this year.

    We're also planning three days of informal "Coding Sprints" prior to
    the conference -- August 30 to September 1, 2004. Conference
    registration is not required to participate in the sprints. Please
    email the list, however, if you plan to attend. Topics for these
    sprints will be determined via the mailing lists as well, so please
    submit any suggestions for topics to the scipy-user list:

    list address:

    thanks,
    eric
    eric jones, Jul 14, 2004