[ANN] ritex 0.1: WebTeX -> MathML

William Morgan

I'm happy to announce the release of Ritex 0.1.
http://ritex.rubyforge.org and gem install ritex.

Ritex converts expressions from WebTeX into MathML. WebTeX is an
adaptation of TeX math syntax for web display.

Ritex makes inserting math into HTML pages easy. It supports most TeX
math syntax as well as macros.

For example, Ritex turns
\alpha^\beta
into
<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
<msup>
<mi>&alpha;</mi>
<mi>&beta;</mi>
</msup>
</math>

Ritex is based heavily on itex2mml
(http://pear.math.pitt.edu/mathzilla/itex2mmlItex.html), a popular TeX
math to MathML convertor--so much so that the default correct answer
to unit tests is to do whatever itex2mml does!

Ritex features several advantages over itex2mml:

* It's written in Ruby (hey, I consider that an advantage).
* It supports macros.
* It handles unary minus better.
* It's easier to extend.

This is the first public release, so expect bugs and please send bug
reports. Thanks!