[ANN] RMagick 2.0.0 for Windows

Tim Hunter

I've just uploaded a pre-compiled-for-Windows RMagick 2.0.0 gem to
RubyForge. The gem is bundled with ImageMagick 6.3.7-8. Look for
RMagick-2.0.0-ImageMagick-6.3.7-8-Q8.zip in the rmagick-win32 project of
the RMagick download page [http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=12].
Remember it takes a few hours for the mirrors to catch up. This makes 4
RMagick releases in 4 days so I'm going to stop for a while.

You can read about RMagick 2 here: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/rmagick2.

How do you know if you should upgrade to RMagick 2? You should use
RMagick 2 instead of RMagick 1 if

1) You want to use RMagick with Ruby 1.9.0. RMagick 2 works with 1.9.0.
RMagick 1 does not.

2) You want to use new ImageMagick functionality. RMagick 1 maintenance
is limited to bug fixes. New ImageMagick functionality will appear in
RMagick 2.

3) You want to have better control over RMagick's memory usage. RMagick
2 has two new methods - Image#destroy! and Magick.trace_proc= - that can
help you manage the memory used by images in your programs.

You should stick with RMagick 1 if

1) You want to use older releases of ImageMagick or Ruby.

2) You want to use RMagick with GraphicsMagick.

RMagick 2 has different prerequisites and is very slightly incompatible
with RMagick 1, so be sure to read the web page before you download it.

The detailed ChangeLog is here
[http://rubyforge.org/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=17446]

Please report bugs on RMagick's bug tracker
[http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=12]. You can ask questions in
the RMagick Help Forum [http://rubyforge.org/forum/?group_id=12], or
contact me directly at rmagick AT rubyforge DOT org.

RMagick 2 is an interface to the ImageMagick (www.imagemagick.org) image
processing library. RMagick supports more than 90 image formats,
including GIF, JPEG, and PNG, and comes with comprehensive HTML
documentation.

Dejan Dimic

[...]

Thanks Tim.