[ANN] RMagick 2.0.0 for Windows

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tim Hunter, Dec 30, 2007.

  1. Tim Hunter

    Tim Hunter Guest

    I've just uploaded a pre-compiled-for-Windows RMagick 2.0.0 gem to
    RubyForge. The gem is bundled with ImageMagick 6.3.7-8. Look for
    RMagick-2.0.0-ImageMagick-6.3.7-8-Q8.zip in the rmagick-win32 project of
    the RMagick download page [http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=12].
    Remember it takes a few hours for the mirrors to catch up. This makes 4
    RMagick releases in 4 days so I'm going to stop for a while.

    You can read about RMagick 2 here: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/rmagick2.

    How do you know if you should upgrade to RMagick 2? You should use
    RMagick 2 instead of RMagick 1 if

    1) You want to use RMagick with Ruby 1.9.0. RMagick 2 works with 1.9.0.
    RMagick 1 does not.

    2) You want to use new ImageMagick functionality. RMagick 1 maintenance
    is limited to bug fixes. New ImageMagick functionality will appear in
    RMagick 2.

    3) You want to have better control over RMagick's memory usage. RMagick
    2 has two new methods - Image#destroy! and Magick.trace_proc= - that can
    help you manage the memory used by images in your programs.

    You should stick with RMagick 1 if

    1) You want to use older releases of ImageMagick or Ruby.

    2) You want to use RMagick with GraphicsMagick.

    RMagick 2 has different prerequisites and is very slightly incompatible
    with RMagick 1, so be sure to read the web page before you download it.

    The detailed ChangeLog is here
    [http://rubyforge.org/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=17446]

    Please report bugs on RMagick's bug tracker
    [http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=12]. You can ask questions in
    the RMagick Help Forum [http://rubyforge.org/forum/?group_id=12], or
    contact me directly at rmagick AT rubyforge DOT org.

    RMagick 2 is an interface to the ImageMagick (www.imagemagick.org) image
    processing library. RMagick supports more than 90 image formats,
    including GIF, JPEG, and PNG, and comes with comprehensive HTML
    documentation.

    --
    RMagick: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/
    RMagick 2: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/rmagick2.html
    Tim Hunter, Dec 30, 2007

  2. Tim Hunter

    Dejan Dimic Guest

    Re: RMagick 2.0.0 for Windows

    On Dec 30, 10:22 pm, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    > I've just uploaded a pre-compiled-for-Windows RMagick 2.0.0 gem to
    > RubyForge. The gem is bundled with ImageMagick 6.3.7-8. Look for
    > RMagick-2.0.0-ImageMagick-6.3.7-8-Q8.zip in the rmagick-win32 project of
    > the RMagick download page [http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=12].
    > Remember it takes a few hours for the mirrors to catch up. This makes 4
    > RMagick releases in 4 days so I'm going to stop for a while.
    >
    > You can read about RMagick 2 here:http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/rmagick2.
    >
    > How do you know if you should upgrade to RMagick 2? You should use
    > RMagick 2 instead of RMagick 1 if
    >
    > 1) You want to use RMagick with Ruby 1.9.0. RMagick 2 works with 1.9.0.
    > RMagick 1 does not.
    >
    > 2) You want to use new ImageMagick functionality. RMagick 1 maintenance
    > is limited to bug fixes. New ImageMagick functionality will appear in
    > RMagick 2.
    >
    > 3) You want to have better control over RMagick's memory usage. RMagick
    > 2 has two new methods - Image#destroy! and Magick.trace_proc= - that can
    > help you manage the memory used by images in your programs.
    >
    > You should stick with RMagick 1 if
    >
    > 1) You want to use older releases of ImageMagick or Ruby.
    >
    > 2) You want to use RMagick with GraphicsMagick.
    >
    > RMagick 2 has different prerequisites and is very slightly incompatible
    > with RMagick 1, so be sure to read the web page before you download it.
    >
    > The detailed ChangeLog is here
    > [http://rubyforge.org/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=17446]
    >
    > Please report bugs on RMagick's bug tracker
    > [http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=12]. You can ask questions in
    > the RMagick Help Forum [http://rubyforge.org/forum/?group_id=12], or
    > contact me directly at rmagick AT rubyforge DOT org.
    >
    > RMagick 2 is an interface to the ImageMagick (www.imagemagick.org) image
    > processing library. RMagick supports more than 90 image formats,
    > including GIF, JPEG, and PNG, and comes with comprehensive HTML
    > documentation.
    >
    > --
    > RMagick:http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/
    > RMagick 2:http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/rmagick2.html