[ANN] rPlanet 1.0b1 released

Joel Watson

Hi everyone!

I'm proud to announce the first release of rPlanet! My friends and I
started coding this at RubyConf 2005 and finished it up this past
week. rPlanet is a re-implementation of Planet (http://
planetplanet.org). It's basically a web-based RSS feed aggregator
designed to pull multiple feeds and combine them into one. It also
supports additional coolness like hackergotchi's (http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackergotchi). Some distinctive features of
rPlanet as it stands are:

- comment support (pulls comment feeds and re-associates them with
their post in the corresponding post feed)
- multithreading (fetches multiple feeds simultaneously)
- local image caching
- easy configuration (edit three constants in the config.rb file and
add your feeds to the members.yml file)

You can download the current copy at http://rubyforge.org/projects/
rplanet/ in the files section.

The direct link is http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/6594/rplanet-
latest.zip.

You can see a demo of the app running at http://rplanet.rubyforge.org
(though it isn't updating due to not being able to set up a cron job
locally--working on fixing this).

An older version of this is also driving http://rplanet.technomancy.us.

We're currently using a subversion repository outside hosted on one
of our private servers to house the main trunk of the code. I'll work
on getting public checkout access to that soon. Until then, the files
posted on RubyForge are the most current copies.

Enjoy and let us know what you think!

-Joel