[ANN] RSpec 0.8.0-RC1

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by David Chelimsky, Feb 17, 2007.

  1. The RSpec Development Team is pleased to announce Release Candidate 1
    of RSpec 0.8.0.

    Since we're doing a Release Candidate and we don't really have a
    separate gem server set up, everything you need is tagged in
    subversion. See the install instructions below.

    As we noted a few weeks back, this release comprises a new approach to
    RSpec's expectation syntax using Expectation Matchers, as well as
    dozens of new features and bug fixes. The new and old syntax are
    living side by side for the moment, and will do so until we release
    0.9, at which point the old syntax will no longer be supported. In
    subsequent 0.8.x releases, we'll provide both deprecation warnings and
    a translator tool that will help you to convert your old specs to the
    new format well in advance of the 0.9 release.

    Please note that this is a Release Candidate, which means it is
    subject to changes before the official release. We do hope, however,
    that many of you will install this release so we can get a lot of
    feedback and get to the official release quickly.

    For those who do, please prefix any RFEs with "[0.8.0-RC1]" so we can
    easily separate them out from the rest.

    Many thanks to all who are using RSpec, whether just experimenting or
    really using it on your business critical projects!

    Cheers,
    The RSpec Development Team

    ==============================
    Installing the gem

    svn co svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/tags/REL_0_8_0_RC1/gem
    gem install gem/rspec-0.8.0-RC1.gem
    ==============================
    Get the docs

    svn co svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/tags/REL_0_8_0_RC1/doc/output doc
    open doc/index.html

    NOTE that most of the stuff in the website docs is deprecated. What
    you want to look at is the RDoc for both RSpec and Spec::Rails.
    Installing Spec::Rails (the rails plugin)

    script/plugin install
    svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/tags/REL_0_8_0_RC1/rspec_on_rails/vendor/plugins/rspec_on_rails

    David Chelimsky, Feb 17, 2007