    Regards
    -
    Avik Sengupta
    Avik Sengupta, Feb 18, 2005

  2. Avik Sengupta

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Avik Sengupta <> wrote:
    >POI (http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/) is a pure java library that reads
    >and writes OLE2 Compound Document Files; in particular, it excels at
    >processing MS Excel file formats.
    >
    >I have just checked into the POI repository an initial attempt at
    >creating a Ruby wrapper for this library. This is done by compiling POI
    >with GCJ to create a native lib, and generating the Ruby wrappers with
    >SWIG.

    That's interesting. This is the first I've heard of anyone wrapping a
    Java library in this manner. An article describing how you did this would
    be very nice - and you could probably get it published somewhere.

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Feb 18, 2005

  3. >This is the first I've heard of anyone wrapping a Java library in
    this manner.

    Sorry, cant take credit :(.

    See http://pylucene.osafoundation.org ... its python, rather than ruby,
    but similar process (gcj/swig)... which is where I got the inspiration.

    But yes, an article would be nice, thanks. Pylucene doesnt have the
    best of documentation.
    Avik Sengupta, Feb 18, 2005