[ANN] Ruby Central 2005 Codefest Grant recipients

David A. Black

Dear Rubyists,

We are pleased to announce that five codefest grants will be awarded
this year, in the first Ruby Central Codefest Grant Program.

Below (in no particular order) are the titles of the five projects,
together with the name of the applicant and some excerpts from the
applicant's description of the project. Thanks and congratulations to
the grant recipients. We're looking forward to seeing the results!

David Black
Chad Fowler
Rich Kilmer
for Ruby Central, Inc.

Codefest Grant recipients:

1. Ruby Displaytag (Dave Tiu)

A port to Ruby/Rails of a popular Java/Struts library for displaying
and interacting with HTML table presentations.

2. Ruby/AGG and Ruby/View (Andrey Melnik)

This will be a wrapper library for AGG (http://antigrain.com) allowing
users to draw high-quality graphics. Later this will be a base for
Ruby-centric GUI toolkit similar to Rebol/view which is also based on
AGG

3. Gambit (James Edward Gray II)

Gambit is pure Ruby framework for building multiplayer Web games
offering two key services: Game management and design tools. Gambit
can manage player's accounts, game hosting and joining, player
histories, in-game communication systems and out-of-game notifications
for in-game activities.

4. Ruby Bindings to Lucene Search Engine (Brian McCallister)

Provide Ruby bindings to the Lucene (http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/)
search engine via SWIG and GCJ.

5. RubyGems cleanup and enhancement (Ryan Davis)

Rubygems is a very powerful system for ruby package management but is
still rather rough around the edges. Getting rubygems well-polished
will make it more widely accepted and increase the chance of getting
it included in the standard ruby library. This would be a huge benefit
to both users and developers.

Shashank Date

David said:
We are pleased to announce that five codefest grants will be awarded
this year, in the first Ruby Central Codefest Grant Program.

<snip>

Heartiest Congratulations, Dave, Andrey, James, Brian and Ryan !
1. Ruby Displaytag (Dave Tiu)

2. Ruby/AGG and Ruby/View (Andrey Melnik)

3. Gambit (James Edward Gray II)

Gambit is pure Ruby framework for building multiplayer Web games
offering two key services: Game management and design tools. Gambit
can manage player's accounts, game hosting and joining, player
histories, in-game communication systems and out-of-game notifications
for in-game activities.

I am very interested in learning about this project ... James, has there
been any activity since its hosting on Rubyforge?
4. Ruby Bindings to Lucene Search Engine (Brian McCallister)

5. RubyGems cleanup and enhancement (Ryan Davis)

<snip>

Again, these are cool projects ... wish you all recepients the very best!

-- shanko

gabriele renzi

David A. Black ha scritto:
Dear Rubyists,

We are pleased to announce that five codefest grants will be awarded
this year, in the first Ruby Central Codefest Grant Program.

Below (in no particular order) are the titles of the five projects,
together with the name of the applicant and some excerpts from the
applicant's description of the project. Thanks and congratulations to
the grant recipients. We're looking forward to seeing the results!

thanks for organizing, and congrats to the chosen ones.
3. Gambit (James Edward Gray II)

Gambit is pure Ruby framework for building multiplayer Web games
offering two key services: Game management and design tools. Gambit
can manage player's accounts, game hosting and joining, player
histories, in-game communication systems and out-of-game notifications
for in-game activities.

I think a different name would be better, to avoid name collision with
gambit scheme[1].
Actually, I read about this project here and on rubyforge and both times
I thought "cool, a module to compile ruby using the gambit scheme
implementation!"

[1]http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/

David A. Black

Below (in no particular order) are the titles of the five projects,
together with the name of the applicant and some excerpts from the
applicant's description of the project. Thanks and congratulations to
the grant recipients. We're looking forward to seeing the results!

And a belated thanks (my fault) to the judges, for their time and
effort in evaluating the applications.

David

Curt Hibbs

David A. Blackwrote:
Dear Rubyists,

We are pleased to announce that five codefest grants will be awarded
this year, in the first Ruby Central Codefest Grant Program.

Below (in no particular order) are the titles of the five projects,
together with the name of the applicant and some excerpts from the
applicant's description of the project. Thanks and congratulations to
the grant recipients. We're looking forward to seeing the results!

This is a great list of enhancements for Ruby!

I hope that the success of this effort inspires people (who are in the
position to do so) to make donations to support future code grants!

[snip]
2. Ruby/AGG and Ruby/View (Andrey Melnik)

This will be a wrapper library for AGG (http://antigrain.com) allowing
users to draw high-quality graphics. Later this will be a base for
Ruby-centric GUI toolkit similar to Rebol/view which is also based on
AGG

I hope that this is built and released without the optional General Polygon
Clipper (so that it can be used in both commercial and open source
software).

Curt

James Edward Gray II

I am very interested in learning about this project ... James, has
there
been any activity since its hosting on Rubyforge?

Yes, a little on and off the radar. My partner, Greg Brown, and I were
informed we had a better shot at the grant if we didn't do too much
work upfront (to create a need). ;)

Officially, we've committed a few files to CVS which your are welcome
to pull down and look over. The main point of interest here is the
project README, which outlines our vision. (This is pretty much our
grant application.)

There are also a couple of unit tests I recently committed.
Interestingly, these grew out of ideas I had while running/solving the
Yahtzee Ruby Quiz. We're using the tests to play with interface. When
we find what we like, we'll build it until they pass. This is our
pre-codefest planning strategy, so expect to see this set grow in the
near future.

Unofficially, we've been doing research and planning. One of our big
goals with the project is to support commercial game sites as best we
can. (Yes, we will support open source sites as well.) Our README
contains links to successful commercial game sites we've looked into.
We're looking at how they work and what they need, so we can ease
development and management for similar operations.

As I said, we've also been planning. This mostly concerns our build
strategy. We're going to start by throwing together some game tools,
probably using them to build simple command-line games. From there,
we'll mix in views for each component and develop a layout system that
can be used to design each game related Web page. We put these in
trivial servlets, so we can watch our progress. Then we will tackle
wrapping that in a game hosting management infrastructure. Throughout
our process, we want to test with actual games, or our slight
variations of such. We have already selected a few favorites, one
definitely non-trivial. We want to ensure the system's usefulness for
real work.

Basically, we're taking the project seriously, hoping to produce a
useful tool. It's not all fun and games. ;)

That's where we are at this point. We've just begun discussing dates
for the actual codefest, but it will be sometime this summer.

We're very excited about the project and are glad to see that others
are too. We want to thank Ruby Central for our selection and the whole
grant process.

If I can answer anymore questions, please don't hesitate to email me
(off-list is fine). Thanks for the interest!

James Edward Gray II

dr

Curt said:
David A. Blackwrote:
[...]

as I don't plan to do any vector output, GPC will be disabled, so you
can use Ruby/AGG in commercial purposes.