[ANN] ruby.cmd.line mailing list for rubyist command line / consolefanatics

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Zhan Deaux, Dec 4, 2010.

  1. Zhan Deaux

    Zhan Deaux Guest

    Greetings,

    I've started a mailing list for users of ruby-based libraries and
    frameworks that join ruby scripts with shells like bash/zsh or irb or
    the rails console. A place to ask questions and trade tips.

    So far I've been a big fan of the hackery of cldwalker and his boson,
    hirb, bond, lightning and ripl libraries. I use them all the time and
    have a great time building my own stuff up with them.

    However I'm curious and eager to learn more of what others are using in
    their command line and console lives. All users of other libraries like
    thor, irbtools, etc. are more than welcome.

    The mailing list is on librelist. Right now I'm having a little bit of a
    problem with the archive interface but I expect to get it ironed out
    soon. This problem shouldn't interfere with normal mailing list
    operation.

    To subscribe send an e-mail to .

    Thanks,

    - Z -

    Zhan Deaux, Dec 4, 2010

  2. Zhan Deaux

    Zhan Deaux Guest

    Re: [ANN] ruby.cmd.line mailing list for rubyist command line /console fanatics

    So far I've discovered that using squirrel mail through dreamhost will
    cause the e-mail bodies to not appear in the librelist archive. Go
    figure.

    Using another client like Thunderbird works fine.

    Zhan Deaux, Dec 4, 2010

  3. Re: [ANN] ruby.cmd.line mailing list for rubyist command line /console fanatics

    +1 for ruby commandline apps. I'd like to exchange tips for building
    commandline apps. Would be interested to know eople use for command gems
    i.e. thor vs rake vs boson, for option parsing etc..

    Gabriel Horner, Dec 7, 2010
  4. Zhan Deaux

    Rahul Kumar Guest

    Gabriel Horner wrote in post #966770:
    > +1 for ruby commandline apps. I'd like to exchange tips for building
    > commandline apps. Would be interested to know eople use for command gems
    > i.e. thor vs rake vs boson, for option parsing etc..

    For command line parsing, the stock optparse. The others take over the
    app (such as thor, main, gli) etc.
    For parsing of subcommands, i wrote a small gem called subcommand which
    does not take over. And it does lazy loading as per suggestions on this
    forum.

    Rahul Kumar, Dec 7, 2010
  5. Zhan Deaux

    deepak Guest

    Re: ruby.cmd.line mailing list for rubyist command line / console fanatics

    hi,
    some of the mail links at http://librelist.com/browser/ruby.cmd.line/
    are broken (throwing a 404 error).

    http://librelist.com/browser//ruby....-boson-configuration-and-commands-with-emacs/
    http://librelist.com/browser//ruby....-boson-configuration-and-commands-with-emacs/
    http://librelist.com/browser//ruby....run-a-boson-command-with-an-un-friendly-ruby/

    @rahul would subcommand be something like git cli, it yes it would be
    a good idea to add that in the README as it would make it easy to
    identify. Also what does lazy loading of commands mean and how does it
    play with ARGF?

    cheers,
    deepak

    deepak, Dec 8, 2010
  6. Zhan Deaux

    Rahul Kumar Guest

    Deepak Kannan wrote in post #967108:
    > hi,
    > @rahul would subcommand be something like git cli, it yes it would be
    > a good idea to add that in the README as it would make it easy to
    > identify. Also what does lazy loading of commands mean and how does it
    > play with ARGF?
    >
    > cheers,
    > deepak

    https://github.com/rkumar/subcommand

    I am quoting from the home page.

    A tiny wrapper over ruby=E2=80=99s awesome OptionParser (standard) which =
    gives =

    easy facility of subcommands. It has a similar interface to git and =

    prints subcommands summary as well.

    Options parsers are lazy-loaded thanks to a suggestion and sample code =

    by Robert Klemme on ruby-forum.org. If your program already uses =

    OptionParser, then one merely needs to add a line above each option =

    declaration =E2=80=94 no rewriting required since all OptionParser syntax=
    is =

    valid syntax for `subcommand`.

    This wrapper adds the `description` attr to what OptionParser already =

    provides.
    Rahul Kumar, Dec 8, 2010
  7. Zhan Deaux

    Zhan Deaux Guest

    Re: ruby.cmd.line mailing list for rubyist command line / console fanatics

    Deepak Kannan wrote in post #967108:
    > hi,
    > some of the mail links at http://librelist.com/browser/ruby.cmd.line/
    > are broken (throwing a 404 error).

    http://librelist.com/browser//ruby....-boson-configuration-and-commands-with-emacs/

    http://librelist.com/browser//ruby....-boson-configuration-and-commands-with-emacs/

    http://librelist.com/browser//ruby....run-a-boson-command-with-an-un-friendly-ruby/

    > @rahul would subcommand be something like git cli, it yes it would be
    > a good idea to add that in the README as it would make it easy to
    > identify. Also what does lazy loading of commands mean and how does it
    > play with ARGF?
    >
    > cheers,
    > deepak

    Yes, I'm sorry about that. It can't be helped unfortunately. If you want
    to read those e-mails you can use the rsync interface, e.g.:

    rsync -azv librelist.com::archives/ruby.cmd.line/2010/12/03/queue .

    for the 12/3 archive.

    Of course you can also subscribe to list and you will receive any future
    mails. Just send an e-mail to and you'll get
    a confirmation e-mail. Thanks for looking.

    - Z -

    Zhan Deaux, Dec 9, 2010
  8. Zhan Deaux

    Rahul Kumar wrote in post #966910:
    > Gabriel Horner wrote in post #966770:
    >> +1 for ruby commandline apps. I'd like to exchange tips for building
    >> commandline apps. Would be interested to know eople use for command gems
    >> i.e. thor vs rake vs boson, for option parsing etc..

    > For command line parsing, the stock optparse. The others take over the
    > app (such as thor, main, gli) etc.
    > For parsing of subcommands, i wrote a small gem called subcommand which
    > does not take over. And it does lazy loading as per suggestions on this
    > forum.

    Interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

    Zhan Deaux, Dec 9, 2010