[ANN] ruby.cmd.line mailing list for rubyist command line / consolefanatics

Zhan Deaux

Greetings,

I've started a mailing list for users of ruby-based libraries and
frameworks that join ruby scripts with shells like bash/zsh or irb or
the rails console. A place to ask questions and trade tips.

So far I've been a big fan of the hackery of cldwalker and his boson,
hirb, bond, lightning and ripl libraries. I use them all the time and
have a great time building my own stuff up with them.

However I'm curious and eager to learn more of what others are using in
their command line and console lives. All users of other libraries like
thor, irbtools, etc. are more than welcome.

The mailing list is on librelist. Right now I'm having a little bit of a
problem with the archive interface but I expect to get it ironed out
soon. This problem shouldn't interfere with normal mailing list
operation.

To subscribe send an e-mail to (e-mail address removed).

Thanks,

- Z -

Zhan Deaux

So far I've discovered that using squirrel mail through dreamhost will
cause the e-mail bodies to not appear in the librelist archive. Go
figure.

Using another client like Thunderbird works fine.

Gabriel Horner

+1 for ruby commandline apps. I'd like to exchange tips for building
commandline apps. Would be interested to know eople use for command gems
i.e. thor vs rake vs boson, for option parsing etc..

Rahul Kumar

Gabriel Horner wrote in post #966770:
+1 for ruby commandline apps. I'd like to exchange tips for building
commandline apps. Would be interested to know eople use for command gems
i.e. thor vs rake vs boson, for option parsing etc..

For command line parsing, the stock optparse. The others take over the
app (such as thor, main, gli) etc.
For parsing of subcommands, i wrote a small gem called subcommand which
does not take over. And it does lazy loading as per suggestions on this
forum.

deepak

hi,
some of the mail links at http://librelist.com/browser/ruby.cmd.line/
are broken (throwing a 404 error).

http://librelist.com/browser//ruby....-boson-configuration-and-commands-with-emacs/
http://librelist.com/browser//ruby....-boson-configuration-and-commands-with-emacs/
http://librelist.com/browser//ruby....run-a-boson-command-with-an-un-friendly-ruby/

@rahul would subcommand be something like git cli, it yes it would be
a good idea to add that in the README as it would make it easy to
identify. Also what does lazy loading of commands mean and how does it
play with ARGF?

cheers,
deepak

Rahul Kumar

Deepak Kannan wrote in post #967108:
hi,
@rahul would subcommand be something like git cli, it yes it would be
a good idea to add that in the README as it would make it easy to
identify. Also what does lazy loading of commands mean and how does it
play with ARGF?

cheers,
deepak

https://github.com/rkumar/subcommand

I am quoting from the home page.

A tiny wrapper over ruby=E2=80=99s awesome OptionParser (standard) which =
gives =

easy facility of subcommands. It has a similar interface to git and =

prints subcommands summary as well.

Options parsers are lazy-loaded thanks to a suggestion and sample code =

by Robert Klemme on ruby-forum.org. If your program already uses =

OptionParser, then one merely needs to add a line above each option =

declaration =E2=80=94 no rewriting required since all OptionParser syntax=
is =

valid syntax for `subcommand`.

This wrapper adds the `description` attr to what OptionParser already =

provides.

Zhan Deaux

Deepak Kannan wrote in post #967108:
hi,
some of the mail links at http://librelist.com/browser/ruby.cmd.line/
are broken (throwing a 404 error).

http://librelist.com/browser//ruby....-boson-configuration-and-commands-with-emacs/
http://librelist.com/browser//ruby....-boson-configuration-and-commands-with-emacs/
http://librelist.com/browser//ruby....run-a-boson-command-with-an-un-friendly-ruby/

@rahul would subcommand be something like git cli, it yes it would be
a good idea to add that in the README as it would make it easy to
identify. Also what does lazy loading of commands mean and how does it
play with ARGF?

cheers,
deepak

Yes, I'm sorry about that. It can't be helped unfortunately. If you want
to read those e-mails you can use the rsync interface, e.g.:

rsync -azv librelist.com::archives/ruby.cmd.line/2010/12/03/queue .

for the 12/3 archive.

Of course you can also subscribe to list and you will receive any future
mails. Just send an e-mail to (e-mail address removed) and you'll get
a confirmation e-mail. Thanks for looking.

- Z -

Zhan Deaux

Rahul Kumar wrote in post #966910:
Gabriel Horner wrote in post #966770:

For command line parsing, the stock optparse. The others take over the
app (such as thor, main, gli) etc.
For parsing of subcommands, i wrote a small gem called subcommand which
does not take over. And it does lazy loading as per suggestions on this
forum.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that.