[ANN] Ruby Course 1.0

Brian Schröder

I just finished giving my ruby course. I removed all the bugs in the
slides and extended them with some additional themes (GUI, Test::Unit,
Assignments...), so I officially declare it version 1.0.

Feel free to use it to your liking, but please drop me a note when and
how you used it.

Regards,

Brian

[Ruby Course 2004](http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/course/)

Jamis Buck

Brian said:
I just finished giving my ruby course. I removed all the bugs in the
slides and extended them with some additional themes (GUI, Test::Unit,
Assignments...), so I officially declare it version 1.0.

Feel free to use it to your liking, but please drop me a note when and
how you used it.

Regards,

Brian

[Ruby Course 2004](http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/course/)

Wow! This is amazing! Thanks for a great resource--I'll be forwarding
this to my Ruby Users Group. :)

- Jamis

Curt Hibbs

Brian said:
I just finished giving my ruby course. I removed all the bugs in the
slides and extended them with some additional themes (GUI, Test::Unit,
Assignments...), so I officially declare it version 1.0.

Feel free to use it to your liking, but please drop me a note when and
how you used it.

I know I asked this once already, but I just want to be sure... I would like
to add this to the WhyRuby? repository at:

http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Presentations

Please let me know if this is ok.

Thanks,
Curt

Gavin Kistner

Very nice work, Brian. (I especially like the progress bar at the
bottom :)

One minor note: on page 18, you say:
"A block is a piece of code, similar to an anonymous function, but it
does not open a new scope. "

This is incorrect, I think; as a closure, it inherits the previous
scope, but there certainly is a new scope:

rb(main):01> def echo(s); yield s; end
#=> nil

irb(main):02> foo = 'Hello, '
#=> "Hello, "

irb(main):03> echo(12){ |arg| arg_as_string = arg.to_s; puts foo +
arg_as_string }
Hello, 12
#=> nil

irb(main):04> arg_as_string
NameError: undefined local variable or method `arg_as_string' for
main:Object
from (irb):4

Curt Hibbs

Brian said:
Hello Curt,

yes. Please add it to the repository. It would be nice though, if you
could also link to my site.

Absolutely! I always credit the authors -- at a minimum by name, plus
anything alse they want (url, email, etc.). Do you want me to just use:

http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/

or did you have a specific url in mind?

Thanks,
Curt