[ANN] Ruby-doc.org search for your browser toolbar

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by James Britt, Mar 3, 2007.

  1. James Britt

    James Britt Guest

    Thanks to Greg Whiteley, ruby-doc.org has a slick new feature.

    I recently changed the search function on the site. The search covers
    not just ruby-doc, but a number of other informative Ruby Web resources.
    That part is not new; I had been using Rollyo to handle the aggregated
    Web search.

    Now, though, the search is powered by Google's custom search feature.
    It's very, very nice (for one thing, search results are returned as a
    page in the ruby-doc.org domain, rather than taking you off to some
    other site), but the query URLs are way fugly. To remedy this, I hacked
    up some mod_rewrite magic, so that one can search with a clean URL, as
    in these examples:

    http://www.ruby-doc.org/q/REXML
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/q/RJS partials

    Greg took this a step further and created a browser search toolbar
    auto-discovery file. Users of Firefox 2 and IE7 (and possibly others)
    who visit the site should now see the search toolbar icon (usually in
    the upper right of the browser) become highlighted.

    Clicking the icon will then give you the option of adding the
    ruby-doc.org search to your search toolbar.

    Try it!

    --
    James Britt

    James Britt, Mar 3, 2007

  2. On Mar 2, 2007, at 8:05 PM, James Britt wrote:

    > Thanks to Greg Whiteley, ruby-doc.org has a slick new feature.

    Forgive my subject change, but can I ask why the Core documentation
    now includes most of the standard library as well? I think this has
    hurt it's browsibilty.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Mar 3, 2007

  3. James Britt

    James Britt Guest

    James Edward Gray II wrote:
    > On Mar 2, 2007, at 8:05 PM, James Britt wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks to Greg Whiteley, ruby-doc.org has a slick new feature.

    > Forgive my subject change, but can I ask why the Core documentation now
    > includes most of the standard library as well? I think this has hurt
    > it's browsibilty.

    What's there is simply the output of running rdoc over the main source,
    as has always been the case. There seem to have been changes in the
    source code or the .document files.

    I'd prefer to see no distinction at all, but have the docs be clear on
    whether a given class/module/method is built-in, or requires 'requires'
    on something, and so on. But, right now, the docs show, for example,
    YAML methods as being built into core classes, such as Array. So there
    is all sorts of confusion.

    However, this may be a topic better discussed on the ruby-core or
    ruby-doc lists.

    --
    James Britt

    "A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is
    not worth knowing."
    - A. Perlis

    James Britt, Mar 3, 2007
  4. On 3/2/07, James Britt <> wrote:

    > Greg took this a step further and created a browser search toolbar
    > auto-discovery file. Users of Firefox 2 and IE7 (and possibly others)
    > who visit the site should now see the search toolbar icon (usually in
    > the upper right of the browser) become highlighted.
    >
    > Clicking the icon will then give you the option of adding the
    > ruby-doc.org search to your search toolbar.

    Any chance that someone with the right mojo might help us poor
    beknighted souls still running Firefox 1.5 with a less automatic way
    to add it to the search engine list?

    --
    Rick DeNatale

    My blog on Ruby
    http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

    Rick DeNatale, Mar 3, 2007
  5. James Britt

    botp Guest

    On 3/3/07, James Britt <> wrote:
    > Thanks to Greg Whiteley, ruby-doc.org has a slick new feature.
    > I recently changed the search function on the site. The search covers
    > not just ruby-doc, but a number of other informative Ruby Web resources.
    > That part is not new; I had been using Rollyo to handle the aggregated
    > Web search.
    > Now, though, the search is powered by Google's custom search feature.
    > It's very, very nice (for one thing, search results are returned as a
    > page in the ruby-doc.org domain, rather than taking you off to some
    > other site), but the query URLs are way fugly. To remedy this, I hacked
    > up some mod_rewrite magic, so that one can search with a clean URL, as
    > in these examples:
    > http://www.ruby-doc.org/q/REXML
    > http://www.ruby-doc.org/q/RJS partials
    > Greg took this a step further and created a browser search toolbar
    > auto-discovery file. Users of Firefox 2 and IE7 (and possibly others)
    > who visit the site should now see the search toolbar icon (usually in
    > the upper right of the browser) become highlighted.
    > Clicking the icon will then give you the option of adding the
    > ruby-doc.org search to your search toolbar.

    indeed. ruby-doc is getting better and better. great doc + great
    language = who could ask for more. many thanks to ruby-doc team!

    kind regards -botp

    botp, Mar 4, 2007