[ANN] Ruby/Event (Myriad and SCGI)

Zed A. Shaw

Hello Ruby People,

I just finished a release of the Ruby/Event project:

http://www.zedshaw.com/

Ruby/Event is a libevent (http://www.monkey.org/~provos/libevent/ )
binding that implements the majority of the original C API as faithfully
as possible without making Ruby people scream too much. Included with
Ruby/Event is the Myriad framework as an abstraction and many examples.

Included in this release is the following:

1. Complete BufferEvent support with intuitive class structure for you
to play with. Also more testing done and bugs worked out.
2. A simple framework for writing network clients and servers, which
I'm calling "Myriad" as if it's a new incarnation of a previous project
I did with the same name.
3. An SCGI client and server using Myriad that can run Ruby On Rails
applications with no problems, and probably other CGI apps if you want.
4. Several examples of using each level of the API:
http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/ruby_event/examples/

The docs aren't much right now, but I'm hoping to get some feedback on
Ruby/Event and/or Myriad and to improve it as needed. I found it was
incredibly easy to write the SCGI client and server with Myriad, and
it's blazing fast too. Take a look and let me know your thoughts.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/

George Moschovitis

3. An SCGI client and server using Myriad that can run Ruby On Rails
applications with no problems, and probably other CGI apps if you want.

How about creating and SCGI adapter for Nitro as well? :)

George.

Zed A. Shaw

I already replied to you offline George, but thought I'd throw this out
to the list:

I'd love to make the SCGI stuff generalized enough to help anyone trying
to do a Ruby web app system. Whether that's Rails, Nitro, or even Wee
I'm game. I'm a firm believe in "porting finds bugs".

The only limiting factor for me is that I don't know people's framework,
but I'll work with folks who are interested and help get things working.

Anyone interested in getting their favorite framework working should
just look at the scgi_server.rb file and the SCGIRails class. It's dead
simple.

Zed