[ANN] Ruby/GD2 1.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Rob Leslie, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. Rob Leslie

    Rob Leslie Guest

    Greetings,

    I've taken some of the suggestions here and made improvements to my
    Ruby/GD2 library.

    First, the gem:

    ftp://ftp.mars.org/pub/ruby/gd2-1.0.gem

    Some of the changes:

    - I took Matz's feelings to heart and realized the weirdness with
    Palette#find! is probably because Palette#find clashed with
    Enumerable#find. So, I removed both methods and added Palette#resolve
    instead. (Palette#find used to be just an alias for Palette#exact.)

    - I've gone through and documented most of the library with RDoc,
    except for the Canvas class. I'm still working on this and may make
    some further improvements before finalizing the API.

    - I added Image.import and Image#export methods. These accept a
    filename and use the filename extension to determine the image format.

    - The Image#jpeg_data, Image#png_data, et al. methods are now just
    Image#jpeg, Image#png, etc.

    I left the non-destructive image operations alone, because they
    aren't significantly more expensive than the destructive versions.
    (Either version must create a new gd image internally.)

    Thanks for everyone's feedback, which I continue to welcome.

    I have one question: what is the process for including gems in the
    remote repository?

    Cheers,

    --
    Rob Leslie

    Rob Leslie, Nov 15, 2005

  2. Rob Leslie

    Tom Copeland Guest

    Tom Copeland, Nov 15, 2005

  3. On Nov 15, 2005, at 7:47 AM, Tom Copeland wrote:

    > On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 10:00 +0900, Rob Leslie wrote:
    >> I have one question: what is the process for including gems in the
    >> remote repository?

    > I think you're hitting this:
    >
    > http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/161508
    >
    > You may want to rebuild the Gem with Ruby 1.8.2...

    Perhaps your question is more basic in nature? If you're wondering
    how to host your gem so that anyone can do a magical "gem install
    <your-gem-here>" command, you need to create a RubyForge project by
    going to rubyforge.org. Then when you upload your .gem file, mark it
    explicitly as a "gem" and RubyForge will do the rest for you (there's
    a drop-down box for file types).

    Duane Johnson
    (canadaduane)

    Duane Johnson, Nov 15, 2005
  4. Rob Leslie

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 00:26 +0900, Duane Johnson wrote:
    > On Nov 15, 2005, at 7:47 AM, Tom Copeland wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 10:00 +0900, Rob Leslie wrote:
    > >> I have one question: what is the process for including gems in the
    > >> remote repository?

    > > I think you're hitting this:
    > >
    > > http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/161508
    > >
    > > You may want to rebuild the Gem with Ruby 1.8.2...
    > >

    > Perhaps your question is more basic in nature? If you're wondering
    > how to host your gem so that anyone can do a magical "gem install
    > <your-gem-here>" command, you need to create a RubyForge project by
    > going to rubyforge.org. Then when you upload your .gem file, mark it
    > explicitly as a "gem" and RubyForge will do the rest for you (there's
    > a drop-down box for file types).

    Ah, quite right, thanks Duane! I skipped right over the obvious that
    time...

    Thanks,

    tom

    Tom Copeland, Nov 15, 2005
  5. Rob Leslie

    Rob Leslie Guest

    On Nov 15, 2005, at 7:26 AM, Duane Johnson wrote:
    > On Nov 15, 2005, at 7:47 AM, Tom Copeland wrote:
    >> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 10:00 +0900, Rob Leslie wrote:
    >>> I have one question: what is the process for including gems in
    >>> the remote repository?

    >> I think you're hitting this:
    >>
    >> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/161508
    >>
    >> You may want to rebuild the Gem with Ruby 1.8.2...

    > Perhaps your question is more basic in nature? If you're wondering
    > how to host your gem so that anyone can do a magical "gem install
    > <your-gem-here>" command, you need to create a RubyForge project by
    > going to rubyforge.org. Then when you upload your .gem file, mark
    > it explicitly as a "gem" and RubyForge will do the rest for you
    > (there's a drop-down box for file types).

    Thanks!

    If all went well, there should now be a gd2 gem available to all.

    --
    Rob Leslie

    Rob Leslie, Nov 15, 2005
  6. Rob Leslie

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 01:09 +0900, Rob Leslie wrote:
    > > Perhaps your question is more basic in nature? If you're wondering
    > > how to host your gem so that anyone can do a magical "gem install
    > > <your-gem-here>" command, you need to create a RubyForge project by
    > > going to rubyforge.org. Then when you upload your .gem file, mark
    > > it explicitly as a "gem" and RubyForge will do the rest for you
    > > (there's a drop-down box for file types).

    > Thanks!
    >
    > If all went well, there should now be a gd2 gem available to all.

    Yup!

    $ gem list --remote gd2

    *** REMOTE GEMS ***

    gd2 (1.0)