[ANN] ruby-growl 1.0.1

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Eric Hodel, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. Eric Hodel

    Eric Hodel Guest

    The 1.0.1 release of ruby-growl allows ruby-growl to work on Tiger's
    Ruby 1.8.2.

    Special thanks to Aslak Hellesoy for pointing out the problem and
    Daniel Berger for informing me that Array#pack is broken on Tiger.

    ruby-growl is a UDP notification tool for Growl.

    What is Growl?

    Growl is a global notification system for Mac OS X. Applications can
    register messages which Growl displays on the screen in a variety of
    ways depending upon your preferences.

    Why ruby-growl?

    Growl's existing Ruby bindings only work on Macs, and I wanted my non-
    Mac machines to be able to send Growl notifications. I peeked inside
    Growl's remote-notification capabilities and wrote up some code that
    uses UDP to send Growl notifications across the network.

    For more information, see:

    http://segment7.net/projects/ruby/growl/

    To install:

    gem install ruby-growl

    Or you can fetch the gem (or source .tgz) from RubyForge:

    http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=1100

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://segment7.net
    FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

    Eric Hodel, Nov 15, 2005