[ANN] Ruby Installer for Windows 1.8.2-14_RC5 (from Ruby 1.8.2 preview1)

Charles Comstock

Jeff said:
RubyGems supports binary gems in the sense that you can put any file
type, including binary, into a gem. But there is no useful support
for binary gems; I asked in [ruby-talk:104609] and [ruby-talk:104486]
and in private email, all without reply. (By "binary" I mean
precompiled gems.)

For my gems, I experimented with a mypackage-i686-linux-ruby18-1.2.3.gem
naming scheme but decided it was too polluting to the global gem list
since every platform must have a separate, "unrelated" gem. The naming
scheme mypackage-1.2.3-i686-linux-ruby18.gem is a "Malformed version
number" error. The precompiled gems were also about twice as large as
a .tbz2 of the same files.

I eventually decided to stick with tarballs with .so files until
rubygems formally supports precompiled extensions.

This could be implemented by recognizing a -linux-i686-ruby18 suffix,
for example. Currently, when mypackage-1.2.3-i686-linux-ruby18.gem
exists on gems.rubyforge.org/gems/, there is a 404 Not Found error
for "gem -i mypackage". A first step could be to find gems matching
the host platform suffix when the primary search fails or when the
user requests a binary gem.

I really think it would make more sense to have all that info stored as
metadata in the gem format and not put it in the name. For name
collisions on the server just make a seperate directory for each build
type. The information should certainly be there but I don't know if
it's the best idea to put it all in the name.

Actually come to think of it maybe it would make more sense on the
server end if the gem name is actually just a directory containing each
of the gem build types. I dunno maybe i'm just picky, but I really
think that packages should encode more metadata in a package system and
less in the package name.

Charles Comstock

Laurent Sansonetti

Hi Gabriele,

il Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:25:10 +0900, Laurent Sansonetti

on the lines of the hread, I think the best thing would be to package
up all the ruby-gnome2 stuff that works on windows in some gems, and
maybe provide a choice at install time something like cygwin does

Mmh good idea. I will have a look at it after the next release. I
wonder how rubygems deal with dependencies.

E.-R. Bruecklmeier

Curt said:
Today Matz released the official preview1 for Ruby 1.8.2. This release
candidate of the Ruby Installer for Windows was built from this new
preview1.

Thanx for the intaller. Is there a special reason, why the windows
package still comes with tk8.3 which in fact makes a lot of troubles (at
least under win98)?

ERic.

Zakaria

Today Matz released the official preview1 for Ruby 1.8.2. This release
candidate of the Ruby Installer for Windows was built from this new
preview1.
You can download this release candidate from:

You can check for reported problems (or report new problems) at:

[...]

Does it fix ri bug related to PAGER in WinMe [ruby-talk:103662]?

Wassallam,

-- Zakaria
(e-mail address removed) Yahoo!: z4k4ri4
http://zakaria.is-a-geek.org
http://pemula.linux.or.id

gabriele renzi

il Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:08:21 +0900, Richard Kilmer
fxruby-1.2.0.gem
#=> spec.platform = Gem::platform::RUBY

fxruby-1.2.0-win32.gem
#=> spec.platform = Gem::platform::WIN32

It will pick (not based on the name, that is convention) the fxruby 1.2.0
for your platform if one exists.

just one thing: I'm not sure if this is just a sample or is closely
related to the behaviour of the gem system, but should'nt it be:

Gem::platform::WIN32::(MS|DJGPP|MINGW|LCC|WHATEVER) ?

different compiling toolchain are things to take in consideration..

Lyle Johnson

just one thing: I'm not sure if this is just a sample or is closely
related to the behaviour of the gem system, but should'nt it be:

Gem::platform::WIN32::(MS|DJGPP|MINGW|LCC|WHATEVER) ?

different compiling toolchain are things to take in consideration.

Excellent point. I think it's true that binaries compiled with
Microsoft's compiler or the MinGW compiler are compatible with each
other; but I don't know if that's true for the other cases. Yet
another variable to throw in the mix. ;)

Curt Hibbs

Zakaria said:
Today Matz released the official preview1 for Ruby 1.8.2. This release
candidate of the Ruby Installer for Windows was built from this new
preview1.
You can download this release candidate from:

You can check for reported problems (or report new problems) at:

[...]

Does it fix ri bug related to PAGER in WinMe [ruby-talk:103662]?

I have fixed the general problem with how I was building the RI database in
the installer. But any bugs that may have existed in RI itself would be
fixed in the Ruby distribution. Perhaps you could test this and let us know.
If its still a problem, we could pass that on to Dave.

Curt

Dave Thomas

Does it fix ri bug related to PAGER in WinMe [ruby-talk:103662]?

I must have missed this one. But unfortunately I don't have an ME box
to try it on anyway. If you could send me a detailed description, I can
try to fix it "in theory" and you can be my testing department :)

Cheers

Dave

Chad Fowler

Excellent point. I think it's true that binaries compiled with
Microsoft's compiler or the MinGW compiler are compatible with each
other; but I don't know if that's true for the other cases. Yet
another variable to throw in the mix. ;)

This is why this feature isn't done yet. :) It's going to take some
thought to make it work properly. We've got it on the short list of
RubyGems 1.0 features.

Chad

Javier Fontan

Hello,

Will the final version have the opengl bindings? I was so surprised
when I installed latest RC and opengl didn't come. Does opengl
bindings have any problem?

Bye, and thank you for the work.

Curt Hibbs

Javier said:
Hello,

Will the final version have the opengl bindings? I was so surprised
when I installed latest RC and opengl didn't come. Does opengl
bindings have any problem?

Bye, and thank you for the work.

Hmmm.... I think it should have been there. I'll have to look into what
happened. Thanks for the report.

Curt

Jos Backus

Hmmm.... I think it should have been there. I'll have to look into what
happened. Thanks for the report.

I commented out the OpenGL bindings because they were causing the builder.rb
script to fail. This is reflected in the commit message, see

http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcv...nstaller&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

The exact error message text is at work, sorry. I will dig it up next week if
you can't reproduce the problem I was seeing. It didn't look like a local
issue to me.

--
Jos Backus _/ _/_/_/ Sunnyvale, CA
_/ _/ _/

Curt Hibbs

Jos said:
I commented out the OpenGL bindings because they were causing the
builder.rb
script to fail. This is reflected in the commit message, see

http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/installer/bui
lder/builder.rb?rev=1.8&cvsroot=rubyinstaller&content-type=text/vn
d.viewcvs-markup

The exact error message text is at work, sorry. I will dig it up
next week if
you can't reproduce the problem I was seeing. It didn't look like a local
issue to me.

No, that's not the problem. Lyle Johnson sent me a new binary build which I
thought I included, but I must have screwed up somewhere. Anyway, I'll make
sure its back in for RC6 (which will probably be when matz releases 1.8.2
final).

Curt

Curt Hibbs

Curt said:
Hmmm.... I think it [opengl] should have been there. I'll have to look into what
happened. Thanks for the report.

Yeah, I messed this one up... I just figure out what I did. Opengl support
will be in the next release candidate (which will probably be when matz
releases the final 1.8.2).

If anyone needs the opengl support right away, let me know and I will email
the binary files to you.

Curt

Jos Backus

No, that's not the problem. Lyle Johnson sent me a new binary build which I
thought I included, but I must have screwed up somewhere. Anyway, I'll make
sure its back in for RC6 (which will probably be when matz releases 1.8.2
final).

Okay, glad to hear that's working again, Curt. It wasn't at the time I checked
in the change.

Thanks,
--
Jos Backus _/ _/_/_/ Sunnyvale, CA