[ANN] ruby-oci8 1.0.2

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by KUBO Takehiro, Jun 29, 2008.

  1. ruby-oci8 1.0.2 is released. This is a Oracle module using OCI8 API.

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-oci8/

    gem and mswin32 binary gem are also available from this release.

    What's new in ruby-oci8 1.0.2.

    1. add a gemspec file.
    (Thanks to Jesse Hu)

    To make a pure ruby gems package:
    gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec

    To make a binary gems package:
    gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec -- current


    2. [BUG FIX] fix a segv bug in gc mark.
    (Thanks to authorNari)
    KUBO Takehiro, Jun 29, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. KUBO Takehiro

    Jesse Hu Guest

    [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    It's Great. Thanks KUBO.

    2008/6/30 S2 <>:

    > KUBO Takehiro wrote:
    >
    > > ruby-oci8 1.0.2 is released. This is a Oracle module using OCI8 API.
    > >

    >
    > Just want to say THANK YOU for this.
    >
    >



    --
    Cheers,
    Jesse
    Jesse Hu, Jun 30, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. KUBO Takehiro

    Jesse Hu Guest

    [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    Hi Kubo,

    I failed to install ruby-oci8 gem on Linux.

    Error msg:

    Building native extensions. This could take a while...
    ERROR: Error installing ruby-oci8:
    ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

    /usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install ruby-oci8
    checking for load library path... ./oraconf.rb:359: warning: Insecure world
    writable dir /opt in PATH, mode 040777
    (LD_LIBRARY_PATH)...
    (ld.so.conf)... not found
    checking for cc... ok
    checking for gcc... yes
    checking for LP64... no
    checking for ruby header... *** extconf.rb failed ***
    Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
    necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    details. You may need configuration options.
    My env:
    ruby 1.8.6
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/11.1.0.1/client/lib


    2008/6/29 KUBO Takehiro <>:

    > ruby-oci8 1.0.2 is released. This is a Oracle module using OCI8 API.
    >
    > http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-oci8/
    >
    > gem and mswin32 binary gem are also available from this release.
    >
    > What's new in ruby-oci8 1.0.2.
    >
    > 1. add a gemspec file.
    > (Thanks to Jesse Hu)
    >
    > To make a pure ruby gems package:
    > gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec
    >
    > To make a binary gems package:
    > gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec -- current
    >
    >
    > 2. [BUG FIX] fix a segv bug in gc mark.
    > (Thanks to authorNari)
    >
    >



    --
    Cheers,
    Jesse
    Jesse Hu, Jun 30, 2008
    #3
  4. In article <>,
    KUBO Takehiro <> wrote:
    > To make a pure ruby gems package:
    > gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec


    That is looking very nice, thanks. Does that mean that I can install it on
    MacOS X/Intel which has no Oracle native client/libraries?

    Thanks,
    --
    Ollivier ROBERT -=- EEC/RIF/SEU -=-
    Systems Engineering Unit
    Ollivier Robert, Jun 30, 2008
    #4
  5. Hi,

    On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Ollivier Robert
    <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > KUBO Takehiro <> wrote:
    >> To make a pure ruby gems package:
    >> gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec

    >
    > That is looking very nice, thanks. Does that mean that I can install it on
    > MacOS X/Intel which has no Oracle native client/libraries?


    No. It needs Oracle client libraries and a C compiler.
    I may confuse you. What should I refer to no-binary gem as?

    --
    KUBO Takehiro
    KUBO Takehiro, Jun 30, 2008
    #5
  6. Hi,

    On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Jesse Hu <> wrote:
    > Hi Kubo,
    >
    > I failed to install ruby-oci8 gem on Linux.
    >
    > Error msg:
    >
    > Building native extensions. This could take a while...
    > ERROR: Error installing ruby-oci8:
    > ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
    >
    > /usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install ruby-oci8
    > checking for load library path... ./oraconf.rb:359: warning: Insecure world
    > writable dir /opt in PATH, mode 040777
    > (LD_LIBRARY_PATH)...
    > (ld.so.conf)... not found
    > checking for cc... ok
    > checking for gcc... yes
    > checking for LP64... no
    > checking for ruby header... *** extconf.rb failed ***
    > Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
    > necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    > details. You may need configuration options.
    > My env:
    > ruby 1.8.6
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/11.1.0.1/client/lib


    Is it an instant client rpm package?
    I guess you didn't export LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
    To check it, could you try the gem in the following URL?
    http://www.jiubao.org/tmp/ruby-oci8-1.0.2.gem

    It prints more information on checking LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

    --
    KUBO Takehiro
    KUBO Takehiro, Jun 30, 2008
    #6
  7. In article <>,
    KUBO Takehiro <> wrote:
    >No. It needs Oracle client libraries and a C compiler.
    >I may confuse you. What should I refer to no-binary gem as?


    You need to clarify what are the differences between a "pure ruby gem" and a
    binary one then.

    Does anyone know BTW how to get some kind of Oracle client for MacOS X?

    Thanks.
    --
    Ollivier ROBERT -=- EEC/RIF/SEU -=-
    Systems Engineering Unit
    Ollivier Robert, Jun 30, 2008
    #7
  8. KUBO Takehiro

    Greg Donald Guest

    Greg Donald, Jun 30, 2008
    #8
  9. KUBO Takehiro

    ara.t.howard Guest

    ara.t.howard, Jun 30, 2008
    #9
  10. In article <>,
    Greg Donald <> wrote:
    >I use the Oracle SQL Developer tool:


    Thanks but connecting and using Oracle DB is not a problem, having a working
    ruby-oci8 is :)

    Ara gave me the solution, thanks!
    --
    Ollivier ROBERT -=- EEC/RIF/SEU -=-
    Systems Engineering Unit
    Ollivier Robert, Jul 1, 2008
    #10
  11. KUBO Takehiro

    Jesse Hu Guest

    [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    Hi Kubo,

    Thanks. Actually I export LD_LIBRARY_PATH for non-root user but not for
    root. Now it works following these steps:

    - su - root
    - rpm -ivh oracle-instantclient-basic-11.1.0.1-1.rpm
    oracle-instantclient-devel-11.1.0.1-1.rpm (download
    link<http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html>;
    or
    install oracle full client)
    - export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/
    11.1.0.1/client/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    - cd /usr/lib/oracle/11.1.0.1/client/lib
    - ln -s libclntsh.so.11.1 libclntsh.so
    - gem install ruby-oci8

    2008/6/30 KUBO Takehiro <>:

    > Hi,
    > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Jesse Hu <> wrote:
    > > Hi Kubo,
    > >
    > > I failed to install ruby-oci8 gem on Linux.
    > >
    > > Error msg:
    > >
    > > Building native extensions. This could take a while...
    > > ERROR: Error installing ruby-oci8:
    > > ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
    > >
    > > /usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install ruby-oci8
    > > checking for load library path... ./oraconf.rb:359: warning: Insecure

    > world
    > > writable dir /opt in PATH, mode 040777
    > > (LD_LIBRARY_PATH)...
    > > (ld.so.conf)... not found
    > > checking for cc... ok
    > > checking for gcc... yes
    > > checking for LP64... no
    > > checking for ruby header... *** extconf.rb failed ***
    > > Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
    > > necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    > > details. You may need configuration options.
    > > My env:
    > > ruby 1.8.6
    > > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/11.1.0.1/client/lib

    > Is it an instant client rpm package? I guess you didn't export
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
    > To check it, could you try the gem in the following URL?
    > http://www.jiubao.org/tmp/ruby-oci8-1.0.2.gem
    > It prints more information on checking LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
    > --
    > KUBO Takehiro
    >

    --
    Cheers,
    Jesse
    Jesse Hu, Jul 3, 2008
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. KUBO Takehiro

    [ANN] ruby-oci8 0.1.9

    KUBO Takehiro, Jan 16, 2005, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    117
  2. KUBO Takehiro

    [ANN] ruby-oci8 0.1.10

    KUBO Takehiro, Mar 23, 2005, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    174
    Dido Sevilla
    Mar 29, 2005
  3. KUBO Takehiro

    [ANN] ruby-oci8 0.1.13

    KUBO Takehiro, Oct 16, 2005, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    98
    KUBO Takehiro
    Oct 16, 2005
  4. KUBO Takehiro

    [ANN] ruby-oci8 0.1.14

    KUBO Takehiro, Feb 26, 2006, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    92
    Steven Lumos
    Feb 27, 2006
  5. KUBO Takehiro

    [ANN] ruby-oci8 0.1.16

    KUBO Takehiro, Aug 20, 2006, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    119
    KUBO Takehiro
    Aug 20, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page