[ANN] ruby-oci8 1.0.2

KUBO Takehiro

ruby-oci8 1.0.2 is released. This is a Oracle module using OCI8 API.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-oci8/

gem and mswin32 binary gem are also available from this release.

What's new in ruby-oci8 1.0.2.

1. add a gemspec file.
(Thanks to Jesse Hu)

To make a pure ruby gems package:
gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec

To make a binary gems package:
gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec -- current

2. [BUG FIX] fix a segv bug in gc mark.
(Thanks to authorNari)

Jesse Hu

It's Great. Thanks KUBO.

Jesse Hu

Hi Kubo,

I failed to install ruby-oci8 gem on Linux.

Error msg:

ERROR: Error installing ruby-oci8:

/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install ruby-oci8
checking for load library path... ./oraconf.rb:359: warning: Insecure world
writable dir /opt in PATH, mode 040777
(LD_LIBRARY_PATH)...
(ld.so.conf)... not found
checking for cc... ok
checking for gcc... yes
checking for LP64... no
checking for ruby header... *** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.
My env:
ruby 1.8.6
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/11.1.0.1/client/lib

2008/6/29 KUBO Takehiro said:
ruby-oci8 1.0.2 is released. This is a Oracle module using OCI8 API.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-oci8/

gem and mswin32 binary gem are also available from this release.

What's new in ruby-oci8 1.0.2.

1. add a gemspec file.
(Thanks to Jesse Hu)

To make a pure ruby gems package:
gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec

To make a binary gems package:
gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec -- current

2. [BUG FIX] fix a segv bug in gc mark.
(Thanks to authorNari)

Ollivier Robert

To make a pure ruby gems package:
gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec

That is looking very nice, thanks. Does that mean that I can install it on
MacOS X/Intel which has no Oracle native client/libraries?

Thanks,

KUBO Takehiro

Hi,

That is looking very nice, thanks. Does that mean that I can install it on
MacOS X/Intel which has no Oracle native client/libraries?

No. It needs Oracle client libraries and a C compiler.
I may confuse you. What should I refer to no-binary gem as?

KUBO Takehiro

Hi,

Hi Kubo,

I failed to install ruby-oci8 gem on Linux.

Error msg:

ERROR: Error installing ruby-oci8:

/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install ruby-oci8
checking for load library path... ./oraconf.rb:359: warning: Insecure world
writable dir /opt in PATH, mode 040777
(LD_LIBRARY_PATH)...
(ld.so.conf)... not found
checking for cc... ok
checking for gcc... yes
checking for LP64... no
checking for ruby header... *** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.
My env:
ruby 1.8.6
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/11.1.0.1/client/lib

Is it an instant client rpm package?
I guess you didn't export LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
To check it, could you try the gem in the following URL?
http://www.jiubao.org/tmp/ruby-oci8-1.0.2.gem

It prints more information on checking LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Ollivier Robert

No. It needs Oracle client libraries and a C compiler.
I may confuse you. What should I refer to no-binary gem as?

You need to clarify what are the differences between a "pure ruby gem" and a
binary one then.

Does anyone know BTW how to get some kind of Oracle client for MacOS X?

Thanks.

Ollivier Robert

I use the Oracle SQL Developer tool:

Thanks but connecting and using Oracle DB is not a problem, having a working
ruby-oci8 is :)

Ara gave me the solution, thanks!

Jesse Hu

Hi Kubo,

Thanks. Actually I export LD_LIBRARY_PATH for non-root user but not for
root. Now it works following these steps:

- su - root
- rpm -ivh oracle-instantclient-basic-11.1.0.1-1.rpm
oracle-instantclient-devel-11.1.0.1-1.rpm (download
link<http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html>;
or
install oracle full client)
- export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/
11.1.0.1/client/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
- cd /usr/lib/oracle/11.1.0.1/client/lib
- ln -s libclntsh.so.11.1 libclntsh.so
- gem install ruby-oci8