[ANN] Ruby/Odeum Inverted Index Library

Zed A. Shaw

Hi,

This is just a quick announcement of a Ruby extension to Mikio
Hirabayashi's Odeum Inverted Index library which is part of both
Estraier (http://estraier.sourceforge.net/ ) and QDBM
(http://qdbm.sourceforge.net/ ).

You can download the source package from:

http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/ruby_odeum/

Ruby/Odeum lets you index a set of documents (including meta-data) and
then use the resulting index to do fast searches by words. The
extension supports most of the features and should become more idiomatic
as I work on it.

Comments are welcomed.

Zed

Brian McCallister

Awesome!

I've not used Odeum, but how does it compare to Lucene?

This may take some pressure off of me to get the Lucene bindings out
ASAP, though I am definitely still doing it -- too much bloody time
spent playing with GCJ and CNI already. ;-)

-Brian

Zed A. Shaw

I'd say it's a little lower level than Lucene, but much HIGHER level
than a Lucene+Java+GJC+CNI+Ruby implementation. :)

Seriously though, I'd say it's just a little lower than Lucene and would
be the major building block for a similar system.

If you're interested in dropping your labor of love and working on
something more extensive then I'd contribute as I'm going to do it
anyway. My focus though is on code searching for specific analysis
needs.

Zed

Brian McCallister

While it is tempting, there are other big benefits from the Lucene
port, not least of which is sharing indexes with a Java (or python, or
perl, or...) app (which I've seen being required). Making use of the
knowledge built into the various analyzers in lucene is also something
I am too lazy to reimplement myself).

That said, I'm sure as heck going to use Odeum in the interim (and when
fighting with gcj just ain't worth it).

-Brian