[ANN] Ruby on Rails presentation added to the WhyRuby repository

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Curt Hibbs, Oct 30, 2004.

  1. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Curt Hibbs, Oct 30, 2004

  2. Curt Hibbs

    Dave Burt Guest

    Dave Burt, Oct 30, 2004

  3. On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 03:45:57PM +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:
    > I just added my presentation of Ruby on Rails to the WhyRuby repository.
    > This presentation was given to a group of about 25 seasoned Java developers,
    > and was very well received!
    >
    > You can download the presentation here:
    >
    > http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Presentations

    Slightly embarrassing typo on page 10:
    s/Bjarn Stroustrap/Bjarne Stroustrup/

    --
    Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
    batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

    Mauricio Fernández, Oct 30, 2004
  4. On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 03:45:57PM +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:
    > I just added my presentation of Ruby on Rails to the WhyRuby repository.
    > This presentation was given to a group of about 25 seasoned Java developers,
    > and was very well received!
    >
    > You can download the presentation here:
    >
    > http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Presentations

    I hope you don't mind another minor suggestion:
    the following on p.45 looks weird:

    "The default number of code lines for an action in Basecamp is 5"

    sounds as if there were some kind of default implementation for actions
    or something like that... I'd rather write "The *average* number..."
    (assuming that was the intended meaning).

    It's a great presentation overall, we can't let these minor points stain
    it :)

    Mauricio Fernández, Oct 30, 2004
  5. Curt Hibbs

    Dave Burt Guest

    Mauricio Fernández> (error corrections)
    Mauricio Fernández> It's a great presentation overall,
    Mauricio Fernández> we can't let these minor points stain it :)

    The stains add character, a laugh, and show the presenter's human too :)
    I enjoyed the End with a capital E in one of the code snippets.
    (I'm not against fixing though)

    Dave Burt, Oct 30, 2004
  6. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Mauricio Fernández wrote:

    > On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 03:45:57PM +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:
    > > I just added my presentation of Ruby on Rails to the WhyRuby repository.
    > > This presentation was given to a group of about 25 seasoned

    > Java developers,
    > > and was very well received!
    > >
    > > You can download the presentation here:
    > >
    > > http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Presentations

    > Slightly embarrassing typo on page 10:
    > s/Bjarn Stroustrap/Bjarne Stroustrup/

    Thanks, I'll fix that.

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Oct 30, 2004
  7. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Mauricio Fernández wrote:

    > On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 03:45:57PM +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:
    > > I just added my presentation of Ruby on Rails to the WhyRuby repository.
    > > This presentation was given to a group of about 25 seasoned

    > Java developers,
    > > and was very well received!
    > >
    > > You can download the presentation here:
    > >
    > > http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Presentations

    > I hope you don't mind another minor suggestion:
    > the following on p.45 looks weird:
    >
    > "The default number of code lines for an action in Basecamp is 5"
    >
    > sounds as if there were some kind of default implementation for actions
    > or something like that... I'd rather write "The *average* number..."
    > (assuming that was the intended meaning).

    Thanks again -- I actually meant to say "default". I'll fix this, too.

    > It's a great presentation overall, we can't let these minor points stain
    > it :)

    I'll gladly accept suggestions for approval in addition to corrections.

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Oct 30, 2004
  8. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Dave Burt wrote:

    > Mauricio Fernández> (error corrections)
    > Mauricio Fernández> It's a great presentation overall,
    > Mauricio Fernández> we can't let these minor points stain it :)
    >
    > The stains add character, a laugh, and show the presenter's human too :)
    > I enjoyed the End with a capital E in one of the code snippets.
    > (I'm not against fixing though)

    I'll fix it.

    Curt

    PS
    I made one humorous slip-up during the presentation that got a big laugh.
    When I got the to "Rails vs. Struts" part, I accidentally introduced it as
    "Rails vs. Sluts". If only I could come up with jokes that that on purpose!
    :)

    Curt Hibbs, Oct 30, 2004
  9. Curt Hibbs

    James Britt Guest

    Curt Hibbs wrote:

    > PS
    > I made one humorous slip-up during the presentation that got a big laugh.
    > When I got the to "Rails vs. Struts" part, I accidentally introduced it as
    > "Rails vs. Sluts". If only I could come up with jokes that that on purpose!

    Sluts? That's been a project of mine for a while now.

    (pause)

    I'm kidding. Really.

    James

    James Britt, Oct 30, 2004
  10. On Saturday 30 October 2004 12:10 pm, James Britt wrote:
    | Curt Hibbs wrote:
    | > PS
    | > I made one humorous slip-up during the presentation that got a big
    | > laugh. When I got the to "Rails vs. Struts" part, I accidentally
    | > introduced it as "Rails vs. Sluts". If only I could come up with jokes
    | > that that on purpose!
    |
    | Sluts? That's been a project of mine for a while now.

    Unfortunately sluts do not program in Ruby. On the other hand, if they did
    they'd be mad right now ;)

    T.

    trans. (T. Onoma), Oct 30, 2004
  11. On Oct 30, 2004, at 1:13 PM, trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:

    > On Saturday 30 October 2004 12:10 pm, James Britt wrote:
    > | Curt Hibbs wrote:
    > | > PS
    > | > I made one humorous slip-up during the presentation that got a
    > big
    > | > laugh. When I got the to "Rails vs. Struts" part, I accidentally
    > | > introduced it as "Rails vs. Sluts". If only I could come up with
    > jokes
    > | > that that on purpose!
    > |
    > | Sluts? That's been a project of mine for a while now.
    >
    > Unfortunately sluts do not program in Ruby.

    Hey, speak for yourself, T.

    Francis

    Francis Hwang, Oct 30, 2004
  12. Curt Hibbs

    Bill Atkins Guest

    On page 37, you have this:

    private def find_customer()
    end

    The private needs to go on its own line, or there needs to be a semicolon.

    Bill

    Bill Atkins, Oct 31, 2004
  13. Bill Atkins <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On page 37, you have this:
    >
    > private def find_customer()
    > end
    >
    > The private needs to go on its own line, or there needs to be a semicolon.

    I suspect Curt implemented RCR 277 on his own - http://rcrchive.net/rcr/show/277

    :)

    Regards,

    Dan