[ANN] Ruby on Rails presentation added to the WhyRuby repository

Mauricio Fernández

I just added my presentation of Ruby on Rails to the WhyRuby repository.
This presentation was given to a group of about 25 seasoned Java developers,
and was very well received!

You can download the presentation here:

http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Presentations

I hope you don't mind another minor suggestion:
the following on p.45 looks weird:

"The default number of code lines for an action in Basecamp is 5"

sounds as if there were some kind of default implementation for actions
or something like that... I'd rather write "The *average* number..."
(assuming that was the intended meaning).

It's a great presentation overall, we can't let these minor points stain
it :)

Dave Burt

Mauricio Fernández> (error corrections)
Mauricio Fernández> It's a great presentation overall,
Mauricio Fernández> we can't let these minor points stain it :)

The stains add character, a laugh, and show the presenter's human too :)
I enjoyed the End with a capital E in one of the code snippets.
(I'm not against fixing though)

Curt Hibbs

Mauricio said:
I hope you don't mind another minor suggestion:
the following on p.45 looks weird:

"The default number of code lines for an action in Basecamp is 5"

sounds as if there were some kind of default implementation for actions
or something like that... I'd rather write "The *average* number..."
(assuming that was the intended meaning).

Thanks again -- I actually meant to say "default". I'll fix this, too.
It's a great presentation overall, we can't let these minor points stain
it :)

I'll gladly accept suggestions for approval in addition to corrections.

Curt

Curt Hibbs

Dave said:
Mauricio Fernández> (error corrections)
Mauricio Fernández> It's a great presentation overall,
Mauricio Fernández> we can't let these minor points stain it :)

The stains add character, a laugh, and show the presenter's human too :)
I enjoyed the End with a capital E in one of the code snippets.
(I'm not against fixing though)

I'll fix it.

Curt

PS
I made one humorous slip-up during the presentation that got a big laugh.
When I got the to "Rails vs. Struts" part, I accidentally introduced it as
"Rails vs. Sluts". If only I could come up with jokes that that on purpose!
:)

James Britt

Curt said:
PS
I made one humorous slip-up during the presentation that got a big laugh.
When I got the to "Rails vs. Struts" part, I accidentally introduced it as
"Rails vs. Sluts". If only I could come up with jokes that that on purpose!

Sluts? That's been a project of mine for a while now.

(pause)

I'm kidding. Really.

James

trans. (T. Onoma)

| > PS
| > I made one humorous slip-up during the presentation that got a big
| > laugh. When I got the to "Rails vs. Struts" part, I accidentally
| > introduced it as "Rails vs. Sluts". If only I could come up with jokes
| > that that on purpose!
|
| Sluts? That's been a project of mine for a while now.

Unfortunately sluts do not program in Ruby. On the other hand, if they did
they'd be mad right now ;)

T.

Francis Hwang

| > PS
| > I made one humorous slip-up during the presentation that got a
big
| > laugh. When I got the to "Rails vs. Struts" part, I accidentally
| > introduced it as "Rails vs. Sluts". If only I could come up with
jokes
| > that that on purpose!
|
| Sluts? That's been a project of mine for a while now.

Unfortunately sluts do not program in Ruby.

Hey, speak for yourself, T.

Francis

Bill Atkins

On page 37, you have this:

private def find_customer()
end

The private needs to go on its own line, or there needs to be a semicolon.

Bill