[ANN] Ruby Reports (Ruport) 0.6.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gregory Brown, Oct 24, 2006.

  1. = Ruport 0.6.0 Release, the "That Guy" edition =

    == What is Ruport? ==

    Ruby Reports is a software library that aims to make the task of
    reporting less tedious and painful. It provides tools for data
    acquisition, database interaction, formatting, and parsing/munging.

    Ruby Reports provides solid support for processing and formatting all
    sorts tabular data. It also includes tools to help with more
    specialized things such as graphing and invoice generation. It is
    highly extensible, so making it fit your particular needs should be
    easy.

    == Quick Summary of Release ==

    This release features a number of new features, some performance
    enhancements, and several bug fixes. Ruport now has additional data
    grouping and manipulation tools, a new LaTeX plugin for rendering
    tables, and support for timeouts and exception handling in our report
    runner. Additionally, full support for ERb within SQL queries was
    added.

    For more info, see detailed release notes below.

    == Installation ==

    Ruport and its dependencies can easily be installed via rubygems:

    gem install ruport

    If you have trouble or want to try installing manually, see our install guide:

    http://ruport.infogami.com/Installation

    == Project News ==

    * I gave a talk at RubyConf 2006 about Ruport without getting booed off stage!
    Slides and a short article available here:
    http://ruport.infogami.com/blog/ruport_presentation

    * Dudley and I are working on a branch to redesign parts of Ruport's
    formatting system. The hard-core are welcome to come help hack and
    test.

    * This is a major release. API breakage is likely minimal, but is
    definitely something to watch out for.

    == What's New in this Release? ==

    Since we've been hacking on this for over a month, theres a lot. The
    best way to show off some of the new stuff might be by example, so
    I've inlined some code into the summary of new features that was in
    Dinko's latest Ruport News article.

    From Ruport News (http://www.stonecode.org/blog/?cat=14)

    * added ERb support inside SQL queries

    query "select * from <%= some_method %>"

    * a new LaTeX plugin for the table formatting engine

    [[1,2],[3,4]].to_table.to_latex #=> latex table output

    * support for summation in data tables

    [[1,2],[3,4]].to_table.sum(1) #=> 6

    * new grouping functionality based on the tagging system

    table = [[1,2],[3,4],[4,5]].to_table
    table.create_tag_group:)first_col_even) { |r| (r[0] % 2).zero? }
    table.create_tag_group:)first_col_odd) { |r| r[0] % 2 ).nonzero? }
    group = table.group_by_tag

    group.first_col_even.to_a == [ table[2] ] #=> true
    group.first_col_odd.to_a == [ table[0],table[1] ] #=> true

    * very large performance enhancements in HTML and text rendering

    These are orders of magnitude faster, though I'm not sure exactly how much.
    Some things that used to take 30+ mins now take 8 seconds. :)

    * better integration with FasterCSV

    load_csv("foo.csv", :csv_options => { :col_sep => "\t" })
    # the :csv_options just get passed along to FasterCSV.

    * some simple interfaces for graphs and data tables

    render_graph do |g|
    g.data = @data
    g.width = 700
    g.height = 500
    g.title = "A Simple Line Graph"
    g.style = :line
    end

    * syntactic sugar (shortcuts) for common tasks

    # (in report)

    my_table = table(%w[a b c]) do |t|
    #build up table object here...
    end

    * support for rerunning reports on timeouts and errors

    SomeReport.run:)tries => 3, :timeout => 10) { |r|
    #...
    }

    There is actually more stuff in this release than what was mentioned
    above, but that should get you started :)

    == Resources ==

    You can find more-or-less all of the information we have available via:
    http://ruport.infogami.com

    We *love* when people use IRC(#ruport) or the Ruport mailing list to contact
    us though. ;)

    Also, for a high level look at Ruport, keep an eye on the
    about-once-per-week Ruport News, written by Dinko:

    page: http://www.stonecode.org/blog/?cat=14
    feed:

    == Acknowledgements ==

    Mathijs Mohlmann provided the speed boosts to TextPlugin and
    HTMLPlugin. This was an essential fix to Ruport that is much
    appreciated. The support
    for retrying reports comes through a vendored and slightly tweaked
    version of Daniel Berger's attempt.rb, so thanks to Daniel too!

    Thank you to NYC.rb for letting me interrupt their hackfest with an
    ill-prepared preliminary version of my RubyConf talk, the feedback you
    provided was very helpful in making my talk better for RubyConf.

    Gregory Brown, Oct 24, 2006