[ANN] Ruby-Tk LIbraries Runtime Library 3.0 and Gestalt Items

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Arndt Roger Schneider, Nov 6, 2009.

  1. Hi Ruby commuters

    It is my distinct pleasure to announce the
    availability of Runtime Library 3.0
    and Gestalt Items 1.1 for Ruby-tk and Ruby.

    Both libraries are written in Tcl/Tk >= version 8.4.
    Ruby-tk based Ruby Wrapper classes are part the
    libraries, making them accesible from Ruby.

    The libraries contain a wide range of
    composite windows for Tk:

    Basic Container windows for
    * scroll able dialogs
    * automatic scrollbar management

    Listboxes and Hierarchy
    * Combobox
    * A edit able listbox (called gistbox)
    * Multi-column listboxes
    * Tree

    A complete AQUA compliant toolbar
    infrastructure
    * goolbar and zoolbar, toolbars
    implemented in Tk canvas and / or TkPath and
    TkZinc
    * gooleditor the associated interactive
    toolbar editor.
    * A multi-line toolbar (galette)

    Dialogs:
    * A dual shell, could serve as an
    interactive Ruby shell
    * A Font selection dialog (Windows design)

    tabset, status bar, ...

    Take a look at the brand-new manual pages dedicated to Ruby:
    http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net/ruby/index.html

    There is currently only one Ruby specific examples inside the
    Ruby manual pages, sorry.

    The Ruby wrapper classes do not contain typed
    properties or methods, such as for tracing variables.
    These Ruby-tk specific features are best implemnted through
    inheritance. The Ruby wrapper classes are be generated
    from the Tcl/Tk source.

    Some Details about the Libraries:

    All the composite windows
    use explicit naming conventions
    --they are predeterministic-- to keep
    bi-directional communication between
    Tcl and Ruby minimal.

    Most of the composite windows either use the
    Tk canvas or TkPath pathCanvas window in their
    implementation. This makes it possible to convert
    all the composites into SVG.
    The SVG generator is a separate --unpublished-- tool
    and not bundled with the libraries.
    The manual pages contain such SVGs generated from Tk.

    TkPath is highly recommended to gain a
    visually sophisticated GUI. The libraries
    do also work without TkPath. TkPath is
    based on CAIRO under X11 and bypasses the
    Tk X11-emulation layer under Windows and OSX.

    Download Packages:
    geitems11.tgz -- Gestalt Items Library in Tcl/Tk
    geitemsRuby11.tgz -- Ruby classes for above Gestalt Items

    rtl30.tgz -- Runtime Library in Tcl/Tk
    rtlruby30.tgz -- Ruby classes for above Runtime Library

    Also see the original documentation at:
    http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net

    The Runtime Library (Tcl/Tk) is documented by two
    books, the latest book is online at:
    http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net/rtl/index.html

    The Gestalt Items book:
    http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net/geitems/index.html

    All three books contain lots of Tcl/Tk examples
    and screen shots (as bitmaps).

    -roger

    Arndt Roger Schneider, Nov 6, 2009

  2. Hi Arndt,

    Just wanted to let you know of the library I'm currently working on:
    http://github.com/manveru/ffi-tk
    I'll go through your stuff, sounds really handy.

    --=20
    Michael Fellinger
    CTO, The Rubyists, LLC
    972-996-5199

    Michael Fellinger, Nov 8, 2009

  3. Michael Fellinger schrieb:

    >Hi Arndt,
    >
    >Just wanted to let you know of the library I'm currently working on:
    >http://github.com/manveru/ffi-tk
    >I'll go through your stuff, sounds really handy.

    [snip]

    Hi Michael,
    your project lacks some documentation.

    How does the interface differ from ruby-tk?
    Only in the require statement?

    What about custom properties--traces on variables?

    I have a tool which generates wrapper classes from the
    Tcl source code for python, ruby and lisp, support for your
    library wouldn't be hard.

    -roger

    Arndt Roger Schneider, Nov 9, 2009
  4. On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Arndt Roger Schneider
    <> wrote:
    > Michael Fellinger schrieb:
    >
    >> Hi Arndt,
    >>
    >> Just wanted to let you know of the library I'm currently working on:
    >> http://github.com/manveru/ffi-tk
    >> I'll go through your stuff, sounds really handy.
    >>

    > [snip]
    >
    > Hi Michael,
    > your project lacks some documentation.
    >
    > How does the interface differ from ruby-tk?
    > Only in the require statement?
    >
    > What about custom properties--traces on variables?
    >
    > I have a tool which generates wrapper classes from the
    > Tcl source code for python, ruby and lisp, support for your
    > library wouldn't be hard.

    I'm sorry, the project is just a month old and just got usable
    recently, still a few of the commands are missing.
    I will try to improve the documentation and make a first release soon,
    maybe within a week.
    The interface differs from ruby-tk by not providing lots of aliases
    and using the C API of Tcl/Tk a lot more.
    You can take a look at the specs and examples to see how it is being
    used, usual apps don't need a lot of change to run on FFI::Tk.
    Thanks for the information.
    I haven't found any information on TkPath, is it shipped with tk, or
    do i need to compile anything to install it?

    --
    Michael Fellinger
    CTO, The Rubyists, LLC

    Michael Fellinger, Nov 9, 2009
  5. Michael Fellinger schrieb:

    >On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Arndt Roger Schneider
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Michael Fellinger schrieb:
    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>Hi Michael,
    >>your project lacks some documentation.
    >>
    >>How does the interface differ from ruby-tk?
    >>Only in the require statement?
    >>
    >>What about custom properties--traces on variables?
    >>
    >>I have a tool which generates wrapper classes from the
    >>Tcl source code for python, ruby and lisp, support for your
    >>library wouldn't be hard.
    >>

    >I'm sorry, the project is just a month old and just got usable
    >recently, still a few of the commands are missing.
    >I will try to improve the documentation and make a first release soon,
    >maybe within a week.
    >The interface differs from ruby-tk by not providing lots of aliases
    >and using the C API of Tcl/Tk a lot more.
    >You can take a look at the specs and examples to see how it is being
    >used, usual apps don't need a lot of change to run on FFI::Tk.
    >Thanks for the information.
    >I haven't found any information on TkPath, is it shipped with tk, or
    >do i need to compile anything to install it?

    Yes it's a 3rd party package!

    The Runtime Library and Gestalt Items
    are independent from tkpath
    --you just get a more sophisticated
    Graphical User Interface with transparency and gradients :)

    The Tcl-related documentation of the Runtime Library
    contains a chapter on tkpath:
    http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net/rtl/RTL_Tkpath.html

    In short the project is hosted at sourceforge under
    http://tclbitprint.sourceforge.net/

    Source code access through CVS:
    # cvs tkpath:
    cvs
    -d:pserver::/cvsroot/tclbitprint
    login
    # gives you version 0.3.x
    # [enter]
    cvs -z3
    -d:pserver::/cvsroot/tclbitprint
    co -P tkpath

    There are some administrative difficulties with tkpath right now.
    I do recommend that you use a
    stable older version (0.2.8 instead of the current 0.3 and 0.3.1).
    The Runtime Library and Gestalt Items support both tkpath 0.2 and 0.3.x.

    -roger

    Arndt Roger Schneider, Nov 10, 2009