[ANN] Ruby-VUG - Project Team Nopaste Underway!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Zach Dennis, Mar 5, 2005.

  1. Zach Dennis

    Zach Dennis Guest

    Project "Team Nopaste" has been underway for around a week now. The
    project's wiki page can be found at:
    http://ruby-vug.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Project/TeamNopaste

    If you don't know what a nopaste site is please check out
    http://rafb.net/paste/ . Once you're familiar with it, imagine having
    *that* functionality for just you and your friends, coworkers, and open
    source groupies where:
    - pastes don't expire
    - pastes can be viewed in a history including diff comparisons
    - pastes are categorized into projects
    - users can be added to view, comment and edit pastes
    - projects can be shared only amongst invited users, and if it's your
    project you decide!

    We are going to look heavily into the Team Nopaste being centered around
    Ruby on Rails[0]. RoR seems to allow the flexibility and the
    cross-platform nature we are looking for, for Team Nopaste to be a
    success, plus it's written in Ruby itself.

    For anything related to the project please refer to the wiki site. Feel
    free to add/edit information in the categories of the project that make
    most sense.

    Moving onward, we are going to start development. aGorilla and becoded
    seem to be quite the database guys so they are going to start working on
    getting a shell of a database up and going and working with Ruby on
    Rails[0]. They are looking into using Sqlite[1] and/or MySQL[2].

    If anyone is interested in any of the following sections please speak up
    so we utilize your assistance and skillset on that section. If you don't
    have a lot of experience in a certain area but would like to jump in and
    start learning by doing then we can pair you up with others:
    - ideas for the project (open for anyone, little skill needed)
    - web front-end design (open)
    - web front-end implementation (open)
    - syntax highlighting filters (open)
    - code formatting filters (open)
    - utilizing Diff to compare paste(s) together (open)
    - database design / structure (taken; aGorilla, becoded)
    - creating a rubygem package (open)
    - creating an rpa package (open)
    - apache configuration (open)
    - getting and setting up test server(s) (taken; zdennis)

    If you have any questions, comments or ideas please feel free to throw
    them out on our:
    Irc channel - channel #ruby-vug on irc.freenode.net
    Wiki - http://ruby-vug.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Project/TeamNopaste

    Thanks for your time we look forward to collaborating on this project
    with you!

    Zach & the Ruby Virtual Users Group
    irc: zdennis

    [0] Ruby On Rails - http://www.rubyonrails.com