[ANN] RubyConf 2005 Preregistration now open!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by David A. Black, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. "You have to come. I went last year and had the most wonderful
    three days in the company of most of the best Ruby hackers. I'm
    so most definitely going again this year. You have to come."

    -- David Heinemeier Hansson, on the upcoming RubyConf 2005

    Dear Rubyists,

    We are pleased to announce that preregistration for the fifth
    International Ruby Conference (RubyConf 2005) is now open. You can
    preregister at: http://www.rubyconf.org/conference/prereg

    The Conference will be held in San Diego, California, USA, from
    October 14 to October 16, 2005. As always, we rotate among time
    zones, and it's the West Coast's turn. Also, OOPSLA is going to be in
    San Diego, starting October 16, so RubyConf will dovetail nicely for
    people who want to go to both. (See http://www.oopsla.org)
    We do not have a venue yet, but we are actively looking.

    Preregistration helps us enormously in our planning, so if you're
    thinking of coming, please preregister, even if you're not 100% sure.
    Also, the preregistration form is now Rails-supported, so that
    everything will be nicely stored and when registration itself comes
    around, you won't have to type it all in again :)

    If you have not been to RubyConf before, make this your year! We try
    to keep registration fees low, and to choose venues in or near
    affordable hotels, so that as many Rubyists as possible can attend.
    It's three days of talks, demos, coding, and Ruby comradery. Not to
    be missed!

    Please contact us if you have questions or problems with the
    preregistration process.

    Happy Rubying --

    David Black
    Chad Fowler
    Rich Kilmer

    for RubyConf 2005 and Ruby Central, Inc.
    http://www.rubycentral.org
    David A. Black, Mar 22, 2005

  2. David A. Black

    Rob . Guest

    Thanks to the organizers for the work they put in to make RubyConf
    happen. Unfortunately I won't be attending this year, because I don't
    trust the USA govt with my f'ngerprints. On principle I disagree with
    any government holding b'ometric identification information on
    citizens or visitors, it gives them too much control over us.
    Corporate totalitarian systems like that of the USA may use such
    information, if they're not already, to aid in suppressing political
    dissent. Avoiding my details entering USA's b'ometric identification
    database was part of the reason I left the USA last year.

    I'll probably be attending EuRuKo instead.

    Rob

    Rob ., Mar 22, 2005

  3. Woo-ha! I just pre-reg'd. Everybody else should, too. To echo DHH's
    endorsement below: Rubyists are both among the smartest programmers
    you'll meet, and the nicest, and both of those qualities are on ample
    display at RubyConf. I've attended for the past two years, and each
    time I've gone I've found it immensely educating, inspiring, and just
    plain fun.

    On Mar 22, 2005, at 9:43 AM, David A. Black wrote:

    > "You have to come. I went last year and had the most wonderful
    > three days in the company of most of the best Ruby hackers. I'm
    > so most definitely going again this year. You have to come."
    >
    > -- David Heinemeier Hansson, on the upcoming RubyConf 2005
    >

    > Dear Rubyists,
    >
    > We are pleased to announce that preregistration for the fifth
    > International Ruby Conference (RubyConf 2005) is now open. You can
    > preregister at: http://www.rubyconf.org/conference/prereg
    >
    > The Conference will be held in San Diego, California, USA, from
    > October 14 to October 16, 2005. As always, we rotate among time
    > zones, and it's the West Coast's turn. Also, OOPSLA is going to be in
    > San Diego, starting October 16, so RubyConf will dovetail nicely for
    > people who want to go to both. (See http://www.oopsla.org)
    > We do not have a venue yet, but we are actively looking.
    >
    > Preregistration helps us enormously in our planning, so if you're
    > thinking of coming, please preregister, even if you're not 100% sure.
    > Also, the preregistration form is now Rails-supported, so that
    > everything will be nicely stored and when registration itself comes
    > around, you won't have to type it all in again :)
    >
    > If you have not been to RubyConf before, make this your year! We try
    > to keep registration fees low, and to choose venues in or near
    > affordable hotels, so that as many Rubyists as possible can attend.
    > It's three days of talks, demos, coding, and Ruby comradery. Not to
    > be missed!
    >
    > Please contact us if you have questions or problems with the
    > preregistration process.
    >
    > Happy Rubying --
    >

    > David Black
    > Chad Fowler
    > Rich Kilmer
    >
    > for RubyConf 2005 and Ruby Central, Inc.
    > http://www.rubycentral.org

    Francis Hwang
    http://fhwang.net/
    Francis Hwang, Mar 22, 2005
  4. In spite of the ringing RubyConf endorsement I just mailed to the list,
    I also do have to say, unfortunately, that I sympathize quite a bit
    with Rob's statement. I'm a U.S. citizen myself, but I know quite a
    number of non-citizens who are now reluctant to travel here because 1)
    they don't want to subject to the level of monitoring or 2) they expect
    they won't be allowed in. (I've known some people to have to subject to
    delays of up to six months to get an entrance to the U.S. approved.)

    So, not to be excessively demanding of the RubyConf organizers, but I'd
    like to humbly suggest that next year, a Canadian venue be considered.
    Both Vancouver and Montreal are quite nice, I hear. Though of course
    there's no chance of an OOPSLA overlap then ...

    On Mar 22, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Rob . wrote:

    > Thanks to the organizers for the work they put in to make RubyConf
    > happen. Unfortunately I won't be attending this year, because I don't
    > trust the USA govt with my f'ngerprints. On principle I disagree with
    > any government holding b'ometric identification information on
    > citizens or visitors, it gives them too much control over us.
    > Corporate totalitarian systems like that of the USA may use such
    > information, if they're not already, to aid in suppressing political
    > dissent. Avoiding my details entering USA's b'ometric identification
    > database was part of the reason I left the USA last year.
    >
    > I'll probably be attending EuRuKo instead.
    >
    > Rob

    Francis Hwang
    http://fhwang.net/
    Francis Hwang, Mar 22, 2005
  5. On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Francis Hwang wrote:

    > Woo-ha! I just pre-reg'd. Everybody else should, too. To echo DHH's
    > endorsement below: Rubyists are both among the smartest programmers you'll
    > meet, and the nicest, and both of those qualities are on ample display at
    > RubyConf. I've attended for the past two years, and each time I've gone I've
    > found it immensely educating, inspiring, and just plain fun.

    I have to agree. It was really great being around folks who are so much
    smarter than I am. Now I just need to figure out how to hang around such
    talented Ruby programmers the rest of the year so I can really develop my
    skills. Any suggestions?

    -- Matt
    Nothing great was ever accomplished without _passion_
    Matt Lawrence, Mar 22, 2005
  6. David A. Black

    Pit Capitain Guest

    Rob . schrieb:
    > Thanks to the organizers for the work they put in to make RubyConf
    > happen. Unfortunately I won't be attending this year, because I don't
    > trust the USA govt with my f'ngerprints. (...)

    += 1

    This is not the only reason I won't attend RubyConf (a trip to the US
    would be too expensive for me anyway), but the current procedures when
    visiting the USA are a definite show stopper for me.

    I really, really loved this country and the people there.

    Regards from The Old Europe,
    Pit
    Pit Capitain, Mar 22, 2005
  7. Matt Lawrence wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Francis Hwang wrote:
    >
    >> Woo-ha! I just pre-reg'd. Everybody else should, too. To echo DHH's
    >> endorsement below: Rubyists are both among the smartest programmers
    >> you'll meet, and the nicest, and both of those qualities are on ample
    >> display at RubyConf. I've attended for the past two years, and each
    >> time I've gone I've found it immensely educating, inspiring, and just
    >> plain fun.

    > I have to agree. It was really great being around folks who are so much
    > smarter than I am. Now I just need to figure out how to hang around
    > such talented Ruby programmers the rest of the year so I can really
    > develop my skills. Any suggestions?

    If you guys want to organise something during the 2006 edition of FOSDEM, this should be possible.
    I'll forward the Call For Presence on this list like I did (without success) for the 2005 edition.

    Raph

    Raphael Bauduin, Mar 22, 2005
  8. David A. Black

    Steve C Guest

    Rob . wrote:
    > Thanks to the organizers for the work they put in to make RubyConf
    > happen. Unfortunately I won't be attending this year, because I don't
    > trust the USA govt with my f'ngerprints. On principle I disagree with
    > any government holding b'ometric identification information on
    > citizens or visitors, it gives them too much control over us.
    > Corporate totalitarian systems like that of the USA may use such
    > information, if they're not already, to aid in suppressing political
    > dissent. Avoiding my details entering USA's b'ometric identification
    > database was part of the reason I left the USA last year.
    >
    > I'll probably be attending EuRuKo instead.
    >
    > Rob

    I agree with this too. I will not be attending any conferences in the US
    due to current travel polices of the US govt. I am planning on attending
    a few in Canada and Europe this year however.
    Steve C, Mar 22, 2005
  9. David A. Black

    Guest

    Re: RubyConf 2005 Preregistration now open!

    I'll be there, speaking and gladhanding with the code monkeys. It will
    be a treat to meet so many of you in person. David, and gang, thanks
    for putting on a great show!
    , Mar 23, 2005
  10. On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 01:05:36 +0900, Francis Hwang <> wrote:
    > In spite of the ringing RubyConf endorsement I just mailed to the list,
    > I also do have to say, unfortunately, that I sympathize quite a bit
    > with Rob's statement. I'm a U.S. citizen myself, but I know quite a
    > number of non-citizens who are now reluctant to travel here because 1)
    > they don't want to subject to the level of monitoring or 2) they expect
    > they won't be allowed in. (I've known some people to have to subject to
    > delays of up to six months to get an entrance to the U.S. approved.)
    >
    > So, not to be excessively demanding of the RubyConf organizers, but I'd
    > like to humbly suggest that next year, a Canadian venue be considered.
    > Both Vancouver and Montreal are quite nice, I hear. Though of course
    > there's no chance of an OOPSLA overlap then ...

    And Toronto even has at least one person who would be willing to help
    with the organisation.

    -austin
    (That would be me, by the way.)
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:
    Austin Ziegler, Mar 24, 2005
  11. David A. Black

    Ben Giddings Guest

    On Mar 24, 2005, at 18:32, Austin Ziegler wrote:
    > And Toronto even has at least one person who would be willing to help
    > with the organisation.

    Anybody for Winnipeg? I hear it's nice in the winter.

    But seriously, Vancouver and Montreal are amazing. Toronto's pretty
    nice too. I'd go to any one of them.

    Ben
    Ben Giddings, Mar 25, 2005
  12. David A. Black

    Joe Van Dyk Guest

    Francis Hwang wrote:
    > Woo-ha! I just pre-reg'd. Everybody else should, too. To
    > echo DHH's endorsement below: Rubyists are both among the
    > smartest programmers you'll meet, and the nicest, and
    > both of those qualities are on ample display at RubyConf.
    > I've attended for the past two years, and each time I've
    > gone I've found it immensely educating, inspiring, and
    > just plain fun.

    And I hear we're better looking too.

    Joe Van Dyk, Mar 25, 2005
  13. David A. Black

    Joe Van Dyk Guest

    Joe Van Dyk, Mar 25, 2005
  14. On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:40:33 +0900, Joe Van Dyk <> wrote:
    > And I hear we're better looking too.

    I wanted to go, but I am afraid I will have to do some dieting first
    in that case.

    Patrick
    Patrick Hurley, Mar 25, 2005
  15. David A. Black

    Paul Duncan Guest

    --Nfp2DTf46BcDSvN4

    * David A. Black () wrote:
    [snipped]
    > We are pleased to announce that preregistration for the fifth
    > International Ruby Conference (RubyConf 2005) is now open. You can
    > preregister at: http://www.rubyconf.org/conference/prereg

    My girlfriend comandeered my RubyConf 2002 t-shirt, so now I need a new
    one.

    Count me in. =20

    PS. Do we get Matz back this year?

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --Nfp2DTf46BcDSvN4

    --Nfp2DTf46BcDSvN4--
    Paul Duncan, Mar 28, 2005
  16. On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Paul Duncan wrote:

    > PS. Do we get Matz back this year?

    I hope so, but I certainly agree that his family is much more important.
    Maybe he can bring them with him, I suspect the attendees would try to
    spoil the youngsters, I know I would, I like children and don't have any
    of my own.

    Matt Lawrence, Mar 28, 2005
  17. Hi,

    In message "Re: [ANN] RubyConf 2005 Preregistration now open!"
    on Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:12:15 +0900, Paul Duncan <> writes:

    |PS. Do we get Matz back this year?

    I think I can go, if budget allows.

    matz.
    Yukihiro Matsumoto, Mar 28, 2005
  18. On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:12:15 +0900, Paul Duncan <> wrote:
    > * David A. Black () wrote:
    > [snipped]
    > > We are pleased to announce that preregistration for the fifth
    > > International Ruby Conference (RubyConf 2005) is now open. You can
    > > preregister at: http://www.rubyconf.org/conference/prereg

    > My girlfriend comandeered my RubyConf 2002 t-shirt, so now I need a new
    > one.

    I so want to go. It'd be nice if the conf t-shirts are available
    online. Or even better if someone could send me one, here in India.
    :)

    > Count me in.
    >
    > PS. Do we get Matz back this year?
    >
    > --
    > Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    > http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --
    Premshree Pillai
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/premshree/