ANN: RubyGems 0.9.3 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jim Weirich, May 11, 2007.

  1. Jim Weirich

    Jim Weirich Guest

    = Announce: RubyGems Release 0.9.3

    Release 0.9.3 is a maintenance release of RubyGems that fixes a problem
    with ZLib on Windows playforms.

    If you are experiencing "Buffer Error" problems with RubyGems, we
    recommend upgrading to RubyGems 0.9.3.

    Bug Fixes Include:

    The ZLib library on Windows will occasionally complains about a buffer
    error when unpacking gems. The Gems software has a workaround for
    that problem, but the workaround was only enabled for versions of ZLib
    1.2.1 or earlier. We have received several reports of the error
    occuring with ZLib 1.2.3, so we have permanently enabled the work
    around on all versions.

    == What is RubyGems?

    RubyGems is a package management system for Ruby applications and
    libraries. RubyGems one command download makes installing Ruby
    software fun and enjoyable again. (Ok, not really.)

    Many gems are available for download from the RubyForge site. Browse
    the list of gems with a "gem list --remote" command and download what
    you need with a simple "gem install <name-of-gem>". RubyGems takes
    care of the details of installing, not only the gem you requested, but
    also any gems needed by the software you selected.

    == How can I get RubyGems?

    If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
    you need to do is:

    $ gem update --system (you might need to be admin/root)

    (Note: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
    installed rubygems-update gems).

    If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
    do it in two steps:

    $ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
    $ update_rubygems (... here too)

    If you don't have any gems install, there is still the pre-gem
    approach to getting software ... doing it manually:

    1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
    2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
    3. INSTALL WITH: ruby setup.rb all (you may need admin/root privilege)

    == What's Next

    The next big thing on the plate is to integrate the local/remote gem
    logic and make the whole thing more consistent.

    == Thanks

    Major contributors to this release include:

    * Jamis Buck (for discovering the ZLib problem).

    Keep those gems coming!

    -- Jim & Chad (for the RubyGems team)

    Jim Weirich, May 11, 2007

  2. Jim Weirich

    Jim Weirich Guest

    Luc Heinrich wrote:
    > I'm pretty sure it was not intentional. Having a look at the diff
    > between r1220 and r1222 I would say that it was just an involuntary
    > omission:

    Yep. It was unintentional. We will get a fix in soon and make a new
    release probably after RailsConf.

    -- Jim

    Jim Weirich, May 14, 2007

  3. Jim Weirich

    Charles Lowe Guest

    Jim Weirich wrote:
    > Luc Heinrich wrote:
    >> I'm pretty sure it was not intentional. Having a look at the diff
    >> between r1220 and r1222 I would say that it was just an involuntary
    >> omission:

    > Yep. It was unintentional. We will get a fix in soon and make a new
    > release probably after RailsConf.
    >
    > -- Jim

    I've updated to the new version, but I still get buffer errors at times.

    Seems to be mostly due to windows file modes not being binary by
    default. For example, index_gem_repository.rb fails to write "yaml.Z" on
    windows, and also fails to read it in for #paranoid (File.read is no
    good for binary files either).

    Charles Lowe, May 15, 2007
  4. Jim Weirich

    stu Guest

    On May 11, 8:34 am, Jim Weirich <> wrote:
    > = Announce: RubyGems Release 0.9.3

    now I get this doing an update;

    Updating installed gems...
    Attempting remote update of rake
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
    install directory #<Pathname:c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
    rake-0.7.3> not absolute

    filed a bug on the tracker. none of my gems will now update.

    -stu
    stu, May 16, 2007
  5. Jim Weirich

    Sglez Fms Guest

    I have the same error:

    Successfully built RubyGem
    Name: sources
    Version: 0.0.1
    File: sources-0.0.1.gem
    Removing old RubyGems RDoc and ri...
    Installing rubygems-0.9.4 ri...
    Installing rubygems-0.9.4 rdoc...

    As of RubyGems 0.8.0, library stubs are no longer needed.
    Searching $LOAD_PATH for stubs to optionally delete (may take a
    while)...
    ...done.
    No library stubs found.

    I'm using RubyGems 0.9.4 on MacOsX with ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13
    patchlevel 0) [powerpc-darwin8.10.0]

    Error example:
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:304:in
    `report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem nanoc (> 0)
    (Gem::LoadError)

    Sglez Fms, Sep 19, 2007
  6. Jim Weirich

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Sep 19, 2007, at 11:21, Sglez Fms wrote:

    > I have the same error:
    >
    > Successfully built RubyGem
    > Name: sources
    > Version: 0.0.1
    > File: sources-0.0.1.gem
    > Removing old RubyGems RDoc and ri...
    > Installing rubygems-0.9.4 ri...
    > Installing rubygems-0.9.4 rdoc...
    >
    > As of RubyGems 0.8.0, library stubs are no longer needed.
    > Searching $LOAD_PATH for stubs to optionally delete (may take a
    > while)...
    > ...done.
    > No library stubs found.

    I don't see any errors here.

    > I'm using RubyGems 0.9.4 on MacOsX with ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13
    > patchlevel 0) [powerpc-darwin8.10.0]
    >

    > Error example:
    > /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:304:in
    > `report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem nanoc (> 0)
    > (Gem::LoadError)

    Do you have the gem installed? (gem list will say so)

    Eric Hodel, Sep 20, 2007