[ANN] rubygems 1.4.0 Released

Ryan Davis

rubygems version 1.4.0 has been released!

* <http://rubygems.org>
* <http://docs.rubygems.org>
* <http://help.rubygems.org>
* <http://github.com/rubygems>

RubyGems is a package management framework for Ruby.

This gem is an update for the RubyGems software. You must have an
installation of RubyGems before this update can be applied.

See Gem for information on RubyGems (or `ri Gem`)

To upgrade to the latest RubyGems, run:

$ gem update --system # you might need to be an administrator or root

NOTE: Ruby 1.9 ships with rubygems and contains a very buggy
"gem-prelude". It is a gem loading system that can interfere with
updating rubygems itself. We do NOT recommend you update to rubygems
1.4 if you're running ruby 1.9.x until we get that sorted out in a
future ruby release.

If you absolutely hate kittens and you _must_ upgrade, you're going to
have to do something really hokey like:

% alias ruby19=3D"ruby19 --disable-gems"
% alias gem19=3D"ruby19 --disable-gems -S gem"

Even deleting the stock rubygems in 1.9 doesn't fix this situation.

If you don't have any RubyGems install, there is still the pre-gem =
approach to
getting software, doing it manually:

1. Download from: https://rubygems.org/pages/download
2. Unpack into a directory and cd there
3. Install with: ruby setup.rb # you may need admin/root privilege

For more details and other options, see:

ruby setup.rb --help

Changes:

### 1.4.0 / 2010-12-31

NOTE: In order to better maintain rubygems and to get it in sync with
the world (eg, 1.9's 1.3.7 is different from our 1.3.7), rubygems is
switching to a 4-6 week release schedule. This release is the
precursor to that process and as such may be a bit on the wild side!
You have been warned!

NOTE: We've switched to git/github. See README.rdoc for details.

New features:

* Added --launch option to `gem server`. (gthiesfeld)
* Added fuzzy name matching on install failures. (gstark/presidentbeef)
* Allow searching w/ file extensions: gem which fileutils.rb
* Progress indicator during download (Ryan Melton)
* Speed up Gem::Version#<=3D> by 2-3x in common cases. (raggi)
* --source is now additive with your current sources.
Use --clear-sources first to maintain previous behavior.

Bug fixes:

* Dependency "~>"s now respect lower-bound prerelease versions.
* Ensure the gem directories exist on download.
* Expand Windows user home candidates for Ruby 1.8. Bug #28371 & #28494
* Fix find_files to order by version.
* Fix ivar typo. [Josh Peek]
* Normalized requires and made many of them lazy.
Do not depend on rubygems to require stdlib stuff for you. =
(raggi/tmm1)
* Treat 1.0.a10 like 1.0.a.10 for sorting, etc. Fixes #27903. =
(dchelimsky)

Ryan Davis

aaaaaaand another release...

(technically, 1.4.0 was released yesterday, but I didn't get around to =
announcing it until today.)

rubygems version 1.4.1 has been released, hot on the tails of 1.4.0!

* <http://rubygems.org>
* <http://docs.rubygems.org>
* <http://help.rubygems.org>
* <http://github.com/rubygems>

RubyGems is a package management framework for Ruby.

This gem is an update for the RubyGems software. You must have an
installation of RubyGems before this update can be applied.

See Gem for information on RubyGems (or `ri Gem`)

To upgrade to the latest RubyGems, run:

$ gem update --system # you might need to be an administrator or root

-----

NOTE: RubyGems 1.1 and 1.2 have problems upgrading when there is no
rubygems-update installed. You will need to use the following =
instructions
if you see "Nothing to update".

If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
do it in two steps:

$ gem install rubygems-update # again, might need to be admin/root
$ update_rubygems # ... here too

-----

1. Download from: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D126
2. Unpack into a directory and cd there
3. Install with: ruby setup.rb # you may need admin/root privilege

For more details and other options, see:

ruby setup.rb --help

Changes:

### 1.4.1 / 2010-12-31

Since apparently nobody reads my emails, blog posts or the README:

DO NOT UPDATE RUBYGEMS ON RUBY 1.9! See UPGRADING.rdoc for details.

Bug fix:

* Specification#load was untainting a frozen string (via `gem build =
*.spec`)

Jörg W Mittag

Ryan said:
NOTE: Ruby 1.9 ships with rubygems and contains a very buggy
"gem-prelude". It is a gem loading system that can interfere with
updating rubygems itself. We do NOT recommend you update to rubygems
1.4 if you're running ruby 1.9.x until we get that sorted out in a
future ruby release.

If you absolutely hate kittens and you _must_ upgrade, you're going to
have to do something really hokey like:

% alias ruby19="ruby19 --disable-gems"
% alias gem19="ruby19 --disable-gems -S gem"

.... or just use JRuby. Apparently, RubyGems 1.4 works just fine on
JRuby 1.6 in Ruby 1.9 mode. In fact, as of today, JRuby 1.6 ships with
RubyGems 1.4.1 pre-installed.

Which leads me to believe that it's not so much a Ruby 1.9 issue as a
YARV issue. (Does it work on MacRuby?)

jwm

Jörg W Mittag

Ryan said:
DO NOT UPDATE RUBYGEMS ON RUBY 1.9! See UPGRADING.rdoc for details.

Apparently, RubyGems 1.4 works just fine on JRuby 1.6 in Ruby 1.9
mode. It appears, it's only YARV that's broken, not Ruby 1.9.

As if we needed more reasons to abandon Yet Another Random Vailure.
(Looking forward to Ruby 1.9 and Windows support in Rubinius. Yay!)

jwm

Luis Lavena

Which leads me to believe that it's not so much a Ruby 1.9 issue as a
YARV issue. (Does it work on MacRuby?)

When I mention Ruby 1.9 I mean Matz Ruby Implementation (MRI) 1.9, not
"1.9 mode" of any other Ruby implementation.

Eric Hodel

As if we needed more reasons to abandon Yet Another Random Vailure.
(Looking forward to Ruby 1.9 and Windows support in Rubinius. Yay!)

Obvious troll is obvious!=